Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR to China - Visa Needed?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Just out of idle curiosity, would something like U.S. -> China -> Canada via the U.S. qualify as being en route to a third country?
No; they only care about the nonstop flights to/from China. So, LAX-PEK-YVR-LAX would be okay, but LAX-PEK-LAX-YVR would not.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Not needed. You can do this without a visa. (See below)

With respect, you don't know what you are talking about.

I - and several others - have done it on mileage runs before to both PVG and PEK. (PVG is a favorite for mileage runs due to the less expensive premium fares.)

In this case, the 3rd country is the returning country. (When they create these transit rules, they don't think about us doing mileage runs.)

(Another example.... Russia - visa required, unless you are returning immediately.)

Moderator - please delete these posts (including this one) and lets get back to premium fares.
I currently have a mileage run planned for EWR-PEK-EWR. The time in PEK is two hours. I do not plan to leave the airport (obviously) and I do not plan to obtain a visa.

Can anyone who has done a recent (preferably 2013) mileage run to PEK or PVG without leaving the airport and a return <24 hours chime in that they did not need a visa? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: UA
I think you would have trouble boarding in EWR - I certainly would just get the visa and save all the stress of trying to do this.

Originally Posted by mdobbins
I currently have a mileage run planned for EWR-PEK-EWR. The time in PEK is two hours. I do not plan to leave the airport (obviously) and I do not plan to obtain a visa.

Can anyone who has done a recent (preferably 2013) mileage run to PEK or PVG without leaving the airport and a return <24 hours chime in that they did not need a visa? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by freezefactor
I think you would have trouble boarding in EWR - I certainly would just get the visa and save all the stress of trying to do this.
Thank you for the suggestion. Are you saying you have done a recent mileage run like the one I have planned and that you needed a visa?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:22 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Thank you for the suggestion. Are you saying you have done a recent mileage run like the one I have planned and that you needed a visa?
Please read the posts on the previous page, you would need a visa unless you are transiting to a third country. 110pgl does not know what he's talking about, the rules are very clear on this. UA would not let you on the plane before the Chinese has a
crack at you.

From A* TIMATIC page:

R32) TWOV

Transit Without Visa (TWOV): Passing through an international
transit area of the airport in order to board a connecting (or

to proceed by the same) flight, without entering the country
(i.e. clearing immigration).

Unless stated otherwise, passengers wishing to TWOV must:
- be en-route to a third country (e.g. itinerary TYO-LON-TYO is not considered TWOV);

CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING
AND SHANGHAI
Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries

transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to

a third country and holding confirmed onward tickets are

permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for
max. 72 hours.

Last edited by m.y; Feb 3, 2013 at 5:36 pm
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Anybody know what happens if you book 2 different itineraries with a planned stop in China?? For example, LAX-PVG-LAX on 1 itinerary...but on a separate itinerary you book a PVG-NRT-PVG flight. Would this type of 2 itinerary setup be OK and fulfill the requirement of traveling to a THIRD country?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
No visa needed

Originally Posted by m.y
Please read the posts on the previous page, you would need a visa unless you are transiting to a third country. 110pgl does not know what he's talking about, the rules are very clear on this. UA would not let you on the plane before the Chinese has a
crack at you.

From A* TIMATIC page:

R32) TWOV

Transit Without Visa (TWOV): Passing through an international
transit area of the airport in order to board a connecting (or

to proceed by the same) flight, without entering the country
(i.e. clearing immigration).

Unless stated otherwise, passengers wishing to TWOV must:
- be en-route to a third country (e.g. itinerary TYO-LON-TYO is not considered TWOV);

CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING
AND SHANGHAI
Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries

transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to

a third country and holding confirmed onward tickets are

permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for
max. 72 hours.
Whereas this quote is true, it ONLY applies in the event you DO leave the airport. As this is not this case here, it shouldn't be a problem. How United will interpret it is another matter. I was in a similar situation about a month ago on a trip I had booked having about a 2-hour layover at PEK before flying out to another destination. I did contact the Chinese embassy (in Chicago, I believe) and this was prior to January 1st before the new rule took effect, so I would have needed a visa to transit (if that was my intent) but the lady I spoke to specifically told me that if you are NOT leaving the airport, no visa is necessary. I don't see a reason not to believe that. I ended up changing my itinerary and skipped PEK but I believe that is still true. If you did plan to enter China on a EWR-PEK-EWR itinerary, it would be problematic since TWOV won't apply to you but since you aren't, I think you should be OK. You can always do what I did and call the local embassy/consulate. Not sure if that will help you board and at PEK but at the very least it can give you some peace of mind. Good Luck!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Itineraries

Originally Posted by rionio77
Anybody know what happens if you book 2 different itineraries with a planned stop in China?? For example, LAX-PVG-LAX on 1 itinerary...but on a separate itinerary you book a PVG-NRT-PVG flight. Would this type of 2 itinerary setup be OK and fulfill the requirement of traveling to a THIRD country?
First one will be OK as long as you don't leave the airport, however, 2nd will definitely not work as you will need a visa for the last arrival at PVG. The only way to be safe is to have the following AAA-XXX-BBB where XXX is PEK, PVG or SHA. For example, since both DL and UA have a hub at NRT, if you can do something like LAX-PVG-NRT-LAX, you'll be OK, as you're arriving from the US and heading to Japan. It's imperative to have your origin and destination different to be able to take advantage of TWOV.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:03 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Whereas this quote is true, it ONLY applies in the event you DO leave the airport.
Again, you have presented a lot of misinformation, TWOV rules in practice does not differentiate between leaving and not leaving the airport since everyone need to go through immigration and there is nothing to stop you from venturing outside of airport. For PEK and PVG, the Chinese expect you to leave the airport during your 72 hour stay and spend money.

PEK/PVG is not like NRT where transit passengers go through security check only and you can get on your return flight without entering the country. Everyone will need to pass through immigration, and foreign nationals (except those who can visit China visa-free) would either need a visa, or be transiting to a third country. Please see post 43 where a Canadian man got into trouble and the airline was fined for doing a Canada-PVG-Canada routing.

Nested routing such as PVG-NRT-PVG inside LAX-PVG-LAX on two itineraries would be fine. Almost all nationalities can transit through China visa free for 24 hours so XXX is not limited to PEK and PVG.

There is a lengthy thread in the China forum regarding TWOV, I think it should cover 99% of situations already.

Last edited by m.y; Feb 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:01 pm

within 72 hours in Beijing and Sanghai

Afyer this year there in no need to VISA within 72 hours to stay there. However only transfer routing is apply. NRT-PVG-ICN is OK. NRT-PVG-KIX is not allow.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
How easy or difficult is it to apply for a 1 year multiple entry visa? Do you have to justify your reason for applying for a multi-entry visa - such as a business reason or visiting family/friends?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Time traveller
How easy or difficult is it to apply for a 1 year multiple entry visa? Do you have to justify your reason for applying for a multi-entry visa - such as a business reason or visiting family/friends?
China requires everyone in the USA to either apply for a visa in person or use a visa agency, adding to cost and time. Previous postOlympic practice had been to automatically give a one year multiple entry visa if you've previously had a Chinese visa and didn't cause trouble. Recent reports suggest that this is currently less generous, although it seems to depend on the consulate and visa agency you use.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

You need a visa for this. The only way you wouldn't need a visa is to do EWR-PEK-<3rd country>-EWR, such as EWR-PEK-HKG-EWR. Just going to China and back will require a visa. sorry
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I had no problems, or extra documentation required, to request a multiple entry Chinese visa. I'll be in Beijing in Jan/Feb/Apr using the same one year validatity multiple entry visa.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
You need a visa for this. The only way you wouldn't need a visa is to do EWR-PEK-<3rd country>-EWR, such as EWR-PEK-HKG-EWR. Just going to China and back will require a visa. sorry
Not questioning - just gathering data at this point (I'm a scientist by trade and we gather data to support or refute a hypothesis). You know this because you were denied boarding?

Again, I'm soliciting actual experience because the following appears on the Chinese Embassy website (http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/zgqz/):
4. Visa-free Entry
A foreign citizen can enter China without a visa under any one of the following circumstances:
1) Direct Transit
A foreign citizen who is transiting through China by air is exempted from a visa if he/she will stay only
in the airport for no more than 24 hours and has a valid connecting ticket with confirmed seating on an
international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.