Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) DL: DTW-HND &others $579 a/i 4.5cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA EXP; Delta Plat Medallion; Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by hi_volume
Doing this run for 3 days in late July. Am returning on the Detroit flight. Was wondering if anyone has arrived at the airport around midnight and can confirm that one can make it into the lounge at that time and spend the night there until the flight leaves at 6:55 AM in the morning. I am worried about the Delta check in desk being open when we get to the airport (do we need to arrive early enough to make sure they are still open and checking people in for the LA flight?) and also the lounge actually staying open all night.
You need to get to the airport when check-in is open for the LA flight if you want to spend the night in the lounge until the Detroit flight leaves at 6:55am. LA flight leaves at 12:30 am and I believe check-in opens at either 9:30pm or 10:00pm, so you should be able to check-in at the ticket counter for the Detroit flight at that time and get a pass to enter the lounge. If you get to the airport at midnight or after, the ticket counter will most likely be closed and you need a pass from an agent to enter the lounge. Ticket counter opens for the Detroit flight at approx. 4:30 am. Lounge stays open 24hours.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Last week I was able to check in for the dtw flight during the checkin for the lax bound flight (about 10 pm). I then spent the night in the lounge watching tv, snacking, web browsing, etc. Yes the lounge stays open 24 hrs. You should not have a problem. I'm not sure I you can checkin later than the lax flight.
I am curious if your trip was a MR...I have 2nd MR to HND from the 21st to the 24th (did not know about lounge possibilities)..... so, I get in on the 22nd @10:30p.m......
Question, Does this seem feasible? i.e DTW-->HND (arrival lounge for the night)-->Leave airport for City Tour (leaving stuff @ airport lounge locker??)-->back to HND (Departure Lounge) in p.m-->DTW next morning )
I am a DL diamond, so I imagine I should get a pass (if I ask@:-) ).
Do you know if there are lockers? I also would like to then check-in (as you did) during the LAX flight for my 6:55 a.m flight the next morning.

I would appreciate your (anyone) thoughts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaOMG
I am curious if your trip was a MR...I have 2nd MR to HND from the 21st to the 24th (did not know about lounge possibilities)..... so, I get in on the 22nd @10:30p.m......
Question, Does this seem feasible? i.e DTW-->HND (arrival lounge for the night)-->Leave airport for City Tour (leaving stuff @ airport lounge locker??)-->back to HND (Departure Lounge) in p.m-->DTW next morning )
I am a DL diamond, so I imagine I should get a pass (if I ask@:-) ).
Do you know if there are lockers? I also would like to then check-in (as you did) during the LAX flight for my 6:55 a.m flight the next morning.

I would appreciate your (anyone) thoughts
I actually did this in late June over a weekend leaving on a Thurs but coming back on the Monday AM flight.

Are you planning to sleep at a hotel in Tokyo the Friday night you are there?

At any rate, there are lockers but there are also luggage holding areas where I believe it was 300 yen for my std carry-on rolly bag and another 300 yen for my laptop bag. I stayed at a hotel for two nights but then spent the night Sunday at the airport in the lounge. The overnight luggage storage is near the DL check-in counters, between the escalators and the hallway to the bathroom. If you are looking at the DL check-in from the First class/medallion check-in queue, it should be at your 2 o'clock position.

Like what people are saying, if you check in for your flight with the LA flight, you can get a lounge pass. The lounge is operated by HND and is in the up the escalators above the duty free after you go through security. The lounge itself is pretty nice; it's divided into two parts. One part of the lounge is reserved for airline invitees only while the other part is for those who pay or have a VISA signature card. The lounge is open 24 hours and you can even walk around the terminal at any time. If you like taking empty airport photos, it's a ghost town between the last flight of the night and about 4:30 AM.

Within the lounge, there are no lockers but it is a nice set-up. There are massage chairs for you to use; the lounge attendants will give you tokens for the chairs. There are also three showers; I took a shower when I first got to the lounge and the water pressure is excellent. It's also very clean (this is Japan, after all).

There are a selection of couches, chairs, tables, and bar stools to rest. Electrical outlets are everywhere. Free wifi is also provided. Floor to ceiling windows with individual chairs facing the windows allow for an excellent view of HND night time ops.

Food and beverage wise, there are a selection of the triangle nori with rice (I don't know that they're called in Japanese but I do know it in Korean...), a different assortment of cup ramen, some fruit, and a few other things I cannot recall. They have some Japanese single malt scotches, whiskey, vodka, and other spirits. Fresh juice, soda, and teas are also provided.

The best thing, though, is the Asahi beer. Simply get a chilled glass, put it on the machine, press a button and watch the magic happen. The machine will tilt the glass, pour the beer, then straighten out and then put the perfect amount of foam on top. I took a video of this awesomeness.

You'll see some people cleaning the lounge b/w 2-4AM. By 5 AM, people will start trickling in and they will put out breakfast sandwiches.

Hope you have a great MR. I regret not doing it twice.

Last edited by Pathfinder813; Jul 13, 2011 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by cfwolfs
Two friends just did DTW-LAX-HND last Friday night, came back HND-DTW Monday morning. They upgraded to Econ Comfort on the 777, and had an empty seat between them in both directions. Back of the bus had entire empty rows on the return, and was probably around 50% on the way there.
I flew out on the DTW-HND leg on a Thursday and came back on the Monday AM flight... both ways, I had 3 seats to myself. I had mulled getting EC but in the end, I definitely was glad I didn't. EC had a lot of people with the middle seats only empty and I saw them look back at the rest of that part of the cabin with everyone sprawling out over 3 seats. I got a solid 8 hours of sleep on my way to Haneda. I bet they wanted their money back.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
I actually did this in late June over a weekend leaving on a Thurs but coming back on the Monday AM flight.

Are you planning to sleep at a hotel in Tokyo the Friday night you are there?

At any rate, there are lockers but there are also luggage holding areas where I believe it was 300 yen for my std carry-on rolly bag and another 300 yen for my laptop bag. I stayed at a hotel for two nights but then spent the night Sunday at the airport in the lounge. The overnight luggage storage is near the DL check-in counters, between the escalators and the hallway to the bathroom. If you are looking at the DL check-in from the First class/medallion check-in queue, it should be at your 2 o'clock position.

Like what people are saying, if you check in for your flight with the LA flight, you can get a lounge pass. The lounge is operated by HND and is in the up the escalators above the duty free after you go through security. The lounge itself is pretty nice; it's divided into two parts. One part of the lounge is reserved for airline invitees only while the other part is for those who pay or have a VISA signature card. The lounge is open 24 hours and you can even walk around the terminal at any time. If you like taking empty airport photos, it's a ghost town between the last flight of the night and about 4:30 AM.

Within the lounge, there are no lockers but it is a nice set-up. There are massage chairs for you to use; the lounge attendants will give you tokens for the chairs. There are also three showers; I took a shower when I first got to the lounge and the water pressure is excellent. It's also very clean (this is Japan, after all).

There are a selection of couches, chairs, tables, and bar stools to rest. Electrical outlets are everywhere. Free wifi is also provided. Floor to ceiling windows with individual chairs facing the windows allow for an excellent view of HND night time ops.

Food and beverage wise, there are a selection of the triangle nori with rice (I don't know that they're called in Japanese but I do know it in Korean...), a different assortment of cup ramen, some fruit, and a few other things I cannot recall. They have some Japanese single malt scotches, whiskey, vodka, and other spirits. Fresh juice, soda, and teas are also provided.

The best thing, though, is the Asahi beer. Simply get a chilled glass, put it on the machine, press a button and watch the magic happen. The machine will tilt the glass, pour the beer, then straighten out and then put the perfect amount of foam on top. I took a video of this awesomeness.

You'll see some people cleaning the lounge b/w 2-4AM. By 5 AM, people will start trickling in and they will put out breakfast sandwiches.

Hope you have a great MR. I regret not doing it twice.
Yep...decided I will be staying @ the JAL hotel by the airport for couple of nights (still appreciate the fabulous reponse to my request)...I have so much work to do that I figured I might as well spring some $$$ and get something close (bout 2 miles).....then head out to the city for a little romp then back to the hotel to catch up with the sleepy heads (in the states) getting into the office.
I hung out there during my last MR. There is shuttle that leaves for the International terminal @4:30...so I should have time for a nibble in the lounge then sleep all the way back to DTW. For some reason got upgraded to Business class (yep on my extravagant T fare) the last time which was flat out awesome....slept all the way until an hour before landing @DTW. Hope lightening strikes twice.....I do have the EC seats anyway......btw, there will be other MR's

Again...thanks!!^
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Upperdeck744
You need to get to the airport when check-in is open for the LA flight if you want to spend the night in the lounge until the Detroit flight leaves at 6:55am. LA flight leaves at 12:30 am and I believe check-in opens at either 9:30pm or 10:00pm, so you should be able to check-in at the ticket counter for the Detroit flight at that time and get a pass to enter the lounge. If you get to the airport at midnight or after, the ticket counter will most likely be closed and you need a pass from an agent to enter the lounge. Ticket counter opens for the Detroit flight at approx. 4:30 am. Lounge stays open 24hours.
Thanks for all the info! Looking forward to spending the night in the lounge. If I had known it was this easy, I might have booked 2!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA EXP; Delta Plat Medallion; Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by hi_volume
Thanks for all the info! Looking forward to spending the night in the lounge. If I had known it was this easy, I might have booked 2!
No worries. I actually did two on consecutive weekends. Got an Op-Up to business on the outbound of my 2nd trip. Made the trip more bearable. Economy comfort was packed on all my trips so not totally loving it at this stage. Bad thing about HND is if you are doing a turn, have to enter the country and then head up to departures to get a boarding pass and lounge pass. No transfer desk for DL flights, only One World. Nice observation deck at HND to watch the jumbos^
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Got upgraded to Business Elite July 23rd LAX-HND at the gate and upgraded HND-DTW on July 25th at checkin. Wish I booked more of these.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by anbhc
Got upgraded to Business Elite July 23rd LAX-HND at the gate and upgraded HND-DTW on July 25th at checkin. Wish I booked more of these.
That is awesome! ^ I am so bummed I missed the cheap fare.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Was this from an Op. Up? I tried and got no where...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
My flights (from DTW and to LAX) had plenty of empty space in Y.
I had 3 seats in EC in both directions....
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
I thought there would be empty seats on mine but both DTW-HND and the return were near full. No op up either. It was still a great trip.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Yes it was an opup, economy was overbooked both ways

Originally Posted by lsk5013
Was this from an Op. Up? I tried and got no where...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: DL:Diamond, HH:Diamond
me me me

oh i hope this happens to me this weekend. flying out thurs. oh please airline gods, oh please.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by FlirtatiousFlyer
oh i hope this happens to me this weekend. flying out thurs. oh please airline gods, oh please.
currently EF shows: (J9 C9 D9 I9 S9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9 E9) which means plenty of availibility still on this thursday's DTW-HND. Sorry to be the barrer of bad news, but i think doesn't look good for an Op-Up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.