Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to LON

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Cheapest way to LON

Hey Folks,
I *have to* be in LON during the last weekend of May (weekend of May 28), but I'm having a hard time finding a ticket that meets my student budget

I'm looking mainly into *A, but the cheapest I've found is about $1260. FD isn't helping me out, as I can only dump half of the YQ and the cost of the 3x more than compensates for that.

I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper way of getting to London without breaking the bank.

And do you think the prices to LON will fall/rise in the next couple?

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: *A
Where from... I assume SFO, but not so clear.
Prices at this point generally only have one direction.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Yes, SFO is the departure point. And I'm guessing the direction you mentioned is "up"
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I was going to suggest flying into Paris or Brussels and taking the Eurostar, but that's even worse (not even counting the train fare).
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: Oneworld sapphire (IB)
Just checked for you.
Priceline > make you own bid > 600 US > book and pay.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michael9
Just checked for you.
Wow awesome! Thanks a lot!^
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Just checked for you.
I tried 5/27-5/30 on pl up to $620, but it didn't budge. What dates did you try if I may ask?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
Just checked for you.
A little OT, but could you give me some insight into Make Your Own Bid on PL? I understand the logic and mechanisms behind it, but the process seems a little confusing to me, as I have never placed my own bid. Once you enter your max fare you're willing to pay, does it give you an instant reply whether there is a flight fitting your budget? And is there a limit concerning maximum stopover/transfer times in case of connecting flights? Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SFO shorthaul
I tried 5/27-5/30 on pl up to $620, but it didn't budge. What dates did you try if I may ask?
Precisely.

Now why would any airline offer you a cheaper fare when they can sell it for twice that and it will be sold. You have to either change your departure date to before 22 may (when the higher fares come in) or up your bid to close to $1000.

You may do best if you are to go to a travel agent and see if they have any charter flights... they tend to be available even in the summer months.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sebblum
And is there a limit concerning maximum stopover/transfer times in case of connecting flights? Thanks a lot!
The process is basically what you described. PL will look for a route with a maximum of 1 stopover. If your bid is unsuccessful, then it asks you if you are willing to take more stopovers or not. The caveat however, is that you earn no miles on the flight, so in my case for example, I'd rather pay an extra $200 to book my ticket on orbitz and bank the 13K miles.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club Gold
last week of May

Hi, that weekend is a bank holiday weekend in the UK and the schools are on their half term break so nothing will be cheap then.

I would book the best fare you can get as soon as possible.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
I suggest OP read The Points Guy's recent blog posts about earning points and booking on BA:
http://thepointsguy.com/category/british-airways/
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/gett...0-miles-bonus/
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Smile to LON for less

Originally Posted by SFO shorthaul
Hey Folks,
I *have to* be in LON during the last weekend of May (weekend of May 28), but I'm having a hard time finding a ticket that meets my student budget

I'm looking mainly into *A, but the cheapest I've found is about $1260. FD isn't helping me out, as I can only dump half of the YQ and the cost of the 3x more than compensates for that.

I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper way of getting to London without breaking the bank.

And do you think the prices to LON will fall/rise in the next couple?

Thanks!
I'm getting to LON from the West Coast at the same time in a bit more unorthodox way for < $700

Took advantage of this DL fare to HEL, RIX or TLL
There are cheapo fares with Ryanair from RIX or TLL into two of London's airports.
From HEL to LON is more expensive with Norwegian.

Be aware tho that DL/KL's lowest fares only seem available for inbound thru May 29/30/31 depending on departing airport.
It may take some digging and creative routing but I was able to create an itin from SFO within minutes and it sure is worth it IMHO

Hope this info is helpful !

Last edited by Travelomania; Apr 17, 2011 at 11:13 am Reason: add info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.