FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Cheapest way to LON (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1203313-cheapest-way-lon.html)

SFO shorthaul Apr 8, 2011 12:35 am

Cheapest way to LON

Hey Folks,
I *have to* be in LON during the last weekend of May (weekend of May 28), but I'm having a hard time finding a ticket that meets my student budget :D

I'm looking mainly into *A, but the cheapest I've found is about $1260. FD isn't helping me out, as I can only dump half of the YQ and the cost of the 3x more than compensates for that.

I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper way of getting to London without breaking the bank.

And do you think the prices to LON will fall/rise in the next couple?

Thanks!

sds1493 Apr 8, 2011 6:40 am

Where from... I assume SFO, but not so clear.
Prices at this point generally only have one direction.

SFO shorthaul Apr 8, 2011 11:00 am

Yes, SFO is the departure point. And I'm guessing the direction you mentioned is "up" :(

Arthur Randolph Apr 8, 2011 6:36 pm

I was going to suggest flying into Paris or Brussels and taking the Eurostar, but that's even worse (not even counting the train fare).

michael9 Apr 8, 2011 9:21 pm

Just checked for you.
Priceline > make you own bid > 600 US > book and pay.

SFO shorthaul Apr 9, 2011 2:55 am

Originally Posted by michael9 (Post 16186443)
Just checked for you.

Wow awesome! Thanks a lot!^

SFO shorthaul Apr 9, 2011 3:09 am

Just checked for you.

I tried 5/27-5/30 on pl up to $620, but it didn't budge. What dates did you try if I may ask?

sebblum Apr 9, 2011 3:39 am

Just checked for you.

A little OT, but could you give me some insight into Make Your Own Bid on PL? I understand the logic and mechanisms behind it, but the process seems a little confusing to me, as I have never placed my own bid. Once you enter your max fare you're willing to pay, does it give you an instant reply whether there is a flight fitting your budget? And is there a limit concerning maximum stopover/transfer times in case of connecting flights? Thanks a lot!

Guy Betsy Apr 9, 2011 4:53 am

Originally Posted by SFO shorthaul (Post 16187226)
I tried 5/27-5/30 on pl up to $620, but it didn't budge. What dates did you try if I may ask?

Precisely.

Now why would any airline offer you a cheaper fare when they can sell it for twice that and it will be sold. You have to either change your departure date to before 22 may (when the higher fares come in) or up your bid to close to $1000.

You may do best if you are to go to a travel agent and see if they have any charter flights... they tend to be available even in the summer months.

SFO shorthaul Apr 9, 2011 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by sebblum (Post 16187305)
And is there a limit concerning maximum stopover/transfer times in case of connecting flights? Thanks a lot!

The process is basically what you described. PL will look for a route with a maximum of 1 stopover. If your bid is unsuccessful, then it asks you if you are willing to take more stopovers or not. The caveat however, is that you earn no miles on the flight, so in my case for example, I'd rather pay an extra $200 to book my ticket on orbitz and bank the 13K miles.

jfisher21 Apr 16, 2011 4:56 pm

last week of May

Hi, that weekend is a bank holiday weekend in the UK and the schools are on their half term break so nothing will be cheap then.

I would book the best fare you can get as soon as possible.

sheremetyevo Apr 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I suggest OP read The Points Guy's recent blog posts about earning points and booking on BA:
http://thepointsguy.com/category/british-airways/
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/gett...0-miles-bonus/

Travelomania Apr 17, 2011 9:26 am

to LON for less

Originally Posted by SFO shorthaul (Post 16181037)
Hey Folks,
I *have to* be in LON during the last weekend of May (weekend of May 28), but I'm having a hard time finding a ticket that meets my student budget :D

I'm looking mainly into *A, but the cheapest I've found is about $1260. FD isn't helping me out, as I can only dump half of the YQ and the cost of the 3x more than compensates for that.

I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper way of getting to London without breaking the bank.

And do you think the prices to LON will fall/rise in the next couple?

Thanks!

I'm getting to LON from the West Coast at the same time in a bit more unorthodox way for < $700

Took advantage of this DL fare to HEL, RIX or TLL
There are cheapo fares with Ryanair from RIX or TLL into two of London's airports.
From HEL to LON is more expensive with Norwegian.

Be aware tho that DL/KL's lowest fares only seem available for inbound thru May 29/30/31 depending on departing airport.
It may take some digging and creative routing but I was able to create an itin from SFO within minutes and it sure is worth it IMHO :)

Hope this info is helpful !