Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

delta segment run, rules on turnaround? help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

i need two segments for next status and am worried that i possibly screwed myself. i booked a flight out of minneapolis to milwaukee on dec. 31st. the msp outgoing flight is the same flight # as the return flight from milwaukee back to minneapolis, i.e. it's the same plane making the flight right back to minneapolis. has a 40 min. layover pretty much to empty the plane and re-board. will delta consider this a 'direct' flight since there is no plane change and the flight number is the same (but departure and arrival destinations are different)? thoughts or advice appreciated...
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta, US Airways, Continental, HHonors
I would say that it is not nonstop, so it's 2 segments
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Interesting question, but I think you'll be OK.

As far as I can tell, airlines will consider multiple segments to be a direct flight so long as they publish and sell fares for that "direct" flight. If DL decides to tell you that both segments form a direct flight then I think it is reasonable to ask them for the fare rules on the "direct flight" from MSP-MSP.

I would imagine that if you actually had a direct flight (making up an example... PIT-MSP-MKE) but bought it by paying the fare PIT-MSP and MSP-MKE, it would also count as two segments. I am not very familiar with DL's practices, but that is what I would expect based on experience with other airlines. That would give you another argument of why your situation is two segments.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gary_nj
Interesting question, but I think you'll be OK.

As far as I can tell, airlines will consider multiple segments to be a direct flight so long as they publish and sell fares for that "direct" flight. If DL decides to tell you that both segments form a direct flight then I think it is reasonable to ask them for the fare rules on the "direct flight" from MSP-MSP.

I would imagine that if you actually had a direct flight (making up an example... PIT-MSP-MKE) but bought it by paying the fare PIT-MSP and MSP-MKE, it would also count as two segments. I am not very familiar with DL's practices, but that is what I would expect based on experience with other airlines. That would give you another argument of why your situation is two segments.
good explanation, thanks for the help. i think i'm okay here too, considering i'll have to check in again and get a new boarding pass for the second flight.

i wish i could get through on the phone to delta to confirm, those idiots are still playing the message that they can't answer the phone due to extreme weather conditions. now THAT is great customer service.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:42 pm

Just curious what your flight number is? There are only 3 direct flights each way on Dec 31st. When I looked today, it seems all the direct outbound and inbound flight numbers were different, flying MSP-MKE-MSP. The only 2 roundtrip direct flights with a 40-minute layover time in MKE were flight 2796 (outbound) and flight 2985 (inbound); and flight 1056 (outbound) and flight 2333 (inbound).

Last edited by KellyLS; Dec 27, 2010 at 7:07 pm
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KellyLS
Just curious what your flight number is? There are only 3 direct flights each way on Dec 31st. When I looked today, it seems all the direct outbound and inbound flight numbers were different, flying MSP-MKE-MSP. The only 2 roundtrip direct flights with a 40-minute layover time in MKE were flight 2796 (outbound) and flight 2985 (inbound); and flight 1056 (outbound) and flight 2333 (inbound).
hmm, not sure what you're looking at. flight # msp-mke is 2788. flight # mke-msp is also 2788. go to delta.com and search and you'll see the 2788 msp outbound at like 7am ct something. if you look at the full turn around, delta won't show you the 915am ct mke departure to select from (i guess they figure who would want to spend 45 min. in the mke airport?) since delta.com wouldn't let me select this flight schedule i actually had to book through Orbitz.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:54 pm

I see it now doing a one-way flight search each way at delta.com. Strange that the flights have the same flight number?
Did Delta ever confirm it counts as 2 segments?

You might want to read this thread, looking at the 2nd post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-segment.html

You raise a perplexing question.

My guess is you will get 2 segment credits.

Last edited by KellyLS; Dec 28, 2010 at 6:29 am
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if your,itin says msp-mke as flt xxx & shows a second flt mke-msp as flt xxx, you will get 2 bp's & 2 segs....good luck...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:39 am
Original Poster

so i checked online and it shows my trip as MSP to MSP with a layover in MKE for 45 min. definitely not 2 distinct trips. also looks as if im only going to have to check in one time. strange... but we'll have to see.

i finally got a call through to Delta and after talking to a rep who confirmed with his coordinator/supervisor, the trip indeed will count for 2 segments. i still have a feeling the skymiles system will only give me one segment but we'll see... i gathered up the names of everyone i talked to who confirmed i'll get the 2 segments in the event i need to call back and have someone manually give me credit based on the reps confirmation over the phone.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
Well... the issue with direct flights is that they only give you the miles from origin to destination. For example, if DL 123 flies from MSP to IND with a stop in DTW, you only get 501 miles as if you were flying from MSP-IND only, not 1028 if you were flying MSP-DTW and then DTW-IND on two different flight numbers.

So... since your flight is technically MSP-MSP, does that mean you get 0 miles and 0 segments? LOL

As far as the flight numbers being the same coming and going, I think that's pretty rare with mainline. I've seen it with the connection carriers quite often.

Last edited by cfwolfs; Dec 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:24 pm

OP, was wondering if you received two segments for your flights today?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KellyLS
OP, was wondering if you received two segments for your flights today?
yeah, 2 distinct segments posted on 1/1. good to go!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.