Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

*A: need either 7000 or 17000 from eastern canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'm in the same boat as a lot of other people., waiting till so late to decide not to leave it to chance.

I need 7000 miles on *A to keep Prestige, or 17000 to get to Elite.

I didn't really think it was possible to get 17000 until I read a lot of posts today, and see OPs are talking about their needs at this level.

I would really appreciate some advice on this. \

I've been looking at European trips, and had some posts today regarding the NYC-ALA fare that seems to be available in some form. But even then, it's only 13000+.

Is it even possible to do the 17000 all in one go? And, if so, could I do it at a reasonable cost? I'd like to keep the cost at about $800-900 CAD if possible.

should I think about one long trip to as far as I can get, or should I do a few transcons?

My time is pretty flexible, but I don't want to spend too much money on it. My husband would go nuts. I already mentioned that I planned to do an MR, and there was a lot of muttering about it - so, need to keep the price reasonable.

Would really appreciate any advice, and would be even more grateful for a few concrete suggestions (trips?).

Thanks to you all.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by karns
Would really appreciate any advice
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...lick-here.html
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:10 pm

7000 isn't hard, you just need to visit the west coast of the US with some creative routing.

17000 is harder. Assuming you don't want to do it the hard way (very low CPM flights around the US), you are talking a run to Asia or Australia. Doing that for 800-900 from YHZ is near impossible (you don't have a handy US airport you can access like people in YYZ, YUL or YVR). Your easiest option is a HKG run on AC through YYZ (or for more miles, also through YVR); this will run you between $1500-1600 ai and get you between 17,000 and 20,000 miles.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC E
In general, I wouldn't consider Prestige to be worth a mileage run, unless you're really close to 25k, fly Lat fares, or use flight passes. Also, unless you're planning to fly a lot more in 2011, Elite probably won't benefit you enough to justify the cost of obtaining another 17k miles. Think about it objectively before you pull the trigger.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klparrot
In general, I wouldn't consider Prestige to be worth a mileage run, unless you're really close to 25k, fly Lat fares, or use flight passes. Also, unless you're planning to fly a lot more in 2011, Elite probably won't benefit you enough to justify the cost of obtaining another 17k miles. Think about it objectively before you pull the trigger.
Who thinks about these things objectively?

I found some stuff that will get me the 17xxx, close to my budget. What do you think?

BOS-ONT x 3 @ about $300 CAD each. Use Aeroplan miles to get to BOS, for about $80 in taxes.

It's a hard slog, 3 r/t transcons in 3 days, Nov 30-Dec 3.

I have saved some money with Prestige, mostly in checked baggage fees, but not anywhere near $1000 CAD. I probably will fly a bit more in 2011, but....

You are probably right, and my husband would go berserk if he really knew what was up. I have a little time to decide, and there may be an African trip coming up before the end of the year, at least o/w.

Thanks for the feedback. If you have time, let me know what you think about the plan.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
go for it....its the season for gifts, so give one to yourself! good luck....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.