Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need 18K from IAD to retain UA 1K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

First mileage run for me - I'll need at least two to accomplish the needed 18K, I believe.
Currently 1K with 82K EQM accrued to date or booked through year end. Open for travel from now through mid December - don't want to lose 1K since we've experienced how very valuable it is! Have been diligently studying all of the relevant forums and threads, and researching trip options. Best I've found is IAD-OTP (Bucharest), netting 9932 miles for $733. Know that's not that good of a CPM - any other suggestions?
Thanks much!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
You might flight to SIN and you will 18K for $1200
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Gold, Marriot Silver, HH
Originally Posted by Yavamos
First mileage run for me - I'll need at least two to accomplish the needed 18K, I believe.
Currently 1K with 82K EQM accrued to date or booked through year end. Open for travel from now through mid December - don't want to lose 1K since we've experienced how very valuable it is! Have been diligently studying all of the relevant forums and threads, and researching trip options. Best I've found is IAD-OTP (Bucharest), netting 9932 miles for $733. Know that's not that good of a CPM - any other suggestions?
Thanks much!
I've been trying for the 1K out of IAD, and since I don't have a lot of flexibility with time, I've been doing a lot of overnight trips IAD-LAX-IAD (UA 137/44). Leave work at 5, depart out of IAD around 7pm, get back at 6:30, go back to work. RT flips are about 250-300, gives you 45xx miles, for 5.6-6.6 CPM. Not the best CPM available, but best I can fit in my schedule, and they're pretty readily available.

I've got 7 of these scheduled.

Also have a weekend MR to ANC. 80xx miles for 431, 5.3 CPM.

None of these are particularly FT-worthy, but they're easy to find and fit in my schedule, and I don't have to worry about international travel.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
Thanks much!
You can do 1 night turns to IST for $632 AI (sample dates Nov 27-29 and the two weekends after that, note there is a Sun night min). You could also turn all of Turkey day () weekend into a nice short trip for the same price.

Last edited by canadian_golf_guy; Oct 29, 2010 at 11:35 am Reason: speling
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Thanks much!
Keep watching the board. The BWI-LAS vis SFO at the beginning of the week will net 5914 miles per trip for $160.80. I booked three trips, total cost $482.40 total miles 17742. Good luck.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: United, AA Gold, InsideFlyer subscriber
Singapore does sound viable. It should net close to 18K round trip for $1200-1400 range has been my experience, usually via HKG or sometimes NRT.

Singapore is a comfortable airport, and you might even want to spend a night or two before returning home.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, UA SLV, MR LT PLT PRM, HH DIA, IHG PLT, SW CP, MVCI CHM LVL, HERTZ PC, National EE
Hey, just saw this thread. I'm trying to get 10,200 miles in one trip to keep 2P. IAD-LAX-SFO-HNL-SFO-LAX-IAD. 3 out of 4 long legs are 767s or 777s with good chance for UDU. Cost is just under $800 but I can knock it in one weekend. I am worried that my turnaround is only 2 hours in HNL. Is this enough time?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: SW A-List, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by o2bonn
Hey, just saw this thread. I'm trying to get 10,200 miles in one trip to keep 2P. IAD-LAX-SFO-HNL-SFO-LAX-IAD. 3 out of 4 long legs are 767s or 777s with good chance for UDU. Cost is just under $800 but I can knock it in one weekend. I am worried that my turnaround is only 2 hours in HNL. Is this enough time?
2 hr turnaround should not be a problem at all. Too bad you don't have time to enjoy the beach.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
Seriously considering IAD-IST as mentioned above ("You can do 1 night turns to IST for $632 AI")
Less $$ for more miles, and fewer connections.
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:38 pm

help!

I am in the same boat--trying to make 1k before the end of the year out of WAS with about 17k miles to go and a couple trips planned.

Since I'm pretty new to this, I was wondering if someone could point me towards the resource that helps you find itineraries with extra legs.

My planned trips are WAS - SEA and WAS - DEN.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
Originally Posted by abrash
I am in the same boat--trying to make 1k before the end of the year out of WAS with about 17k miles to go and a couple trips planned.

Since I'm pretty new to this, I was wondering if someone could point me towards the resource that helps you find itineraries with extra legs.

My planned trips are WAS - SEA and WAS - DEN.
Try matrix.itasoftware.com. If you search FT you should be able to find plenty of resources explaining how to maximize its power.

Also, welcome to FT!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:37 pm

at ITA, i have used the following notation to get 2-stop flights in each direction all on ua:
Departing from: IAD :: o:ua o:ua o:ua+
Destination: DFW :: o:ua o:ua o:ua+
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Need 18K from Denver

Hey Folks

I also need about 18K miles

I'm looking for a weekend in late November or early December to SIN but I can't seem to find upgradeable fares for under $1900!

I've got SWU's to burn and have in the past done this run for like $1100.

UA's website is also making it hard to find W fares at all.

Help!

Thanks so much
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:31 pm

canadian guy and mruwunrfl thanks for the replies! Now I just need to learn the syntax for ITA searches. -A
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by abrash
canadian guy and mruwunrfl thanks for the replies! Now I just need to learn the syntax for ITA searches. -A
I would also check out kvs software. It makes looking for upgrade eligibility fast and easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.