Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Unless they've dropped all the YYZ-LAS flights, just insist on your original routing, assuming you're prepared to overnight in Toronto. I prefer to skip leaving YYZ if at all possible, so would be likely to let it rest, but we all have different tolerances.
Already booked return LAS-YYZ on the following day so need to be in LAS mid-morning, no longer possible with cancelled evening flight YYZ-LAS and morning flight schedule. Also using both overnights in Vegas as Matress Runs to keep Hyatt Diamond so need the hotel nights (cheapest Hyatt around here is $150+ versus $85 in Vegas). Since I'm not going to get near enough to renew SE this year (grounded for two months by doctors) the lost SMs won't make much difference as long as I still cross the SSWU cert threshold. Que sera sera!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by canadian_golf_guy
Maybe try AC016? It's still operating as per normal.

A call to AC wouldn't hurt, I don't think. The worst they can say is "No."
That's actually the flight I was on. It gets into Toronto at 18:05. The 2 direct flights to LAS are now at 08:35 and 13:10. The 20:40 flight we were on was cancelled.

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Unless they've dropped all the YYZ-LAS flights, just insist on your original routing, assuming you're prepared to overnight in Toronto. I prefer to skip leaving YYZ if at all possible, so would be likely to let it rest, but we all have different tolerances.
That's a very good idea, but since I've already booked my LAS-YYZ flight for 07:50 on the 19th, the only way it would work would be to leave HKG on the 17th instead of the 18th, and I'm only there for 2 nights to start with!

However, if I did want to give up a day in HKG, I could ask for the following:

Oct 17 --- HKG-YYZ
Oct 18 --- YYZ-YVR-LAS
Oct 19 --- LAS-SFO-YYZ (already booked on a separate ticket)

Hmmm, maybe we can turn this lemon into lemonade and get some extra miles/segments out of this all on one upgrade certificate!

Last edited by margarita girl; Aug 19, 2010 at 4:36 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I have a trip from SFO-PEK via YVR in December. Just noticed last night that our SFO-YVR flight had changed (original flight no longer exists and we were automatically re-booked on a later flight that would result in a missed connection in YVR [-2 hour layover]). Called AC directly and they rebooked us on a UA flight from SFO-YVR around the same time as our orignial AC flight.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just completed this MR today. All flights were on time and everything went smoothly.

My itinerary was:

YYZ-SFO-LAS
LAS-YYZ-HKG-YVR-YYZ-LAS (Cheapoair ticket)
LAS-SFO-YYZ

Unfortunately, upgrade only cleared for HKG-YVR-YYZ, but I survived the 15 hrs in grunt class for YYZ-HKG.

I earned 25,648 status miles and 61,796 total miles thanks to the current YYZ-SFO and YYZ-HKG bonuses plus my SE bonus! ^

Loved HKG and will definitely go back.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Just completed this MR today. All flights were on time and everything went smoothly.

My itinerary was:

YYZ-SFO-LAS
LAS-YYZ-HKG-YVR-YYZ-LAS (Cheapoair ticket)
LAS-SFO-YYZ

Unfortunately, upgrade only cleared for HKG-YVR-YYZ, but I survived the 15 hrs in grunt class for YYZ-HKG.

I earned 25,648 status miles and 61,796 total miles thanks to the current YYZ-SFO and YYZ-HKG bonuses plus my SE bonus! ^

Loved HKG and will definitely go back.
^ I didn't know AC is doing a bonus points promo. I was thinking about banking the miles somewhere else, but now it looks like the AC account is a no brainer.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:01 am

Thanks to OP for posting this great deal..

Just finished SEA-YVR-HKG-YVR-SEA

Had a really great time in HKG.. and hope more of these fares come up in the future

Only earned 12990 EQM on this trip, but 26680 redeemable miles total with Aeroplan promotion and Elite bonus

Last edited by OfficeGlenn; Nov 4, 2010 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:51 pm

SEA-YVR-HKG-YVR-SEA went smoothly last weekend and the miles have posted without problem. As for my upcoming thanksgiving trip I just got off the phone with Cheapoair and managed to get the outbound routed through YYZ, despite the problems I reported a couple of months ago.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
I'll throw in my data point too.

golf_sis and I went LAX-YYZ-HKG-YYZ-LAX a couple weeks ago, and everything went great. I had called in right when I booked my ticket, so I got 18K both ways, which is probably the best seat in Y on the 77L. She booked her ticket a couple days later, and despite my urging, she didn't call in until a couple weeks before the flight, which led to her getting a window seat 15-20 rows back each way. Oh well.

Hong Kong was great, and I also really enjoyed the couple days we spent in Shenzhen. If you go to HKG and have time to pop over into Shenzhen (5 day visas at the border FTW!), I would highly recommend visiting Minsk World. It's an older aircraft carrier that the Soviets gave the Chinese, and the Chinese promptly turned it into a surrealist military theme park. It's quite the window into the communist military perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.