Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) AC: SFO-PEK RT $533 a/i (was SFO-HKG; Cheapo air; min stay)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
For you YYZers, you should really book LAS as your departure point. It is the cheapest cpm destination to get to from Toronto. I am going next week for $99 each way. I have booked several MRs to LAS and have never paid more than $129 (one way). Plus, you can route through YVR and LAX and turn it into a true MR and get 3K+ miles each way.

You will probably spend more (or at least the same for a flight to EWR) and only get 500 miles!
For anyone who is flying YYZ-LAS, there are now $129 fares available. Booked my positioning flights (routing through SFO).
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Henwurst
Does anyone know what rights we have? Can I demand that they put me on a different carrier to get me in on time or am I at their mercy? Cancellation?

This is really messing things up for me!
Different carrier = No. Reschedule on AC to accommodate you = Yes.

Call Cheapoair, and they will change your flights to better work for you, if you wish.

Also, for those flying in the new year on this deal, the change in schedule is only until Dec 31. As of now, on January 1 the flight should be back to the old schedule and flight number.

I'm looking forward to my MR to HKG Sep 9-14. If anyone is through YVR on those days send me a PM and we'll meet up.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:03 pm

I called cheapoair this sunday with my suggested changes (Air Canada's schedule still fitted me the best so I didn't bother to try and get a different carrier). I received a phone call today about my weekend trip and had to go through the whole thing again and asked to have the entire trip moved to a weekend in October instead. The rep had to call Air Canada to confirm the change, but got back to me quickly. I now have it scheduled for a weekend in October. The return leg HKG-YVR is booked in V this time, and the connection times are not as good as my original itinerary, but still quite acceptable. I was pleasantly surprised by the service from cheapoair. Very little waiting time and polite reps.

I also called them to check up about a second booking where my dates are more important. I asked them to reroute me through YYZ, which did not seem to be a problem and I got the impression the rep would have been able to confirm it on the spot, but apparently the right booking class was not available for my last segment YVR-SEA so he had to call AC to sort it out. He got back to me 30 minutes later explaining that Air Canada claimed that the routing was beyond the MPM. I told him to try again and ask if Air Canada was willing to pay for the hotel in Seattle/Vancouver, so he'll get back to me tomorrow after the Air Canada office opens on the East coast.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
He got back to me 30 minutes later explaining that Air Canada claimed that the routing was beyond the MPM.
That's interesting. Does your new itin route through YYZ on both outbound and inbound?

My new itin SEA-YVR-YYZ-HKG-YVR-SEA doesn't have any problem. Of course only the outbound will go through YYZ. The new HKG-YVR flight leaves HKG an hour later, so that actually works out slightly better and I am keeping it. When the agent was searching for options, I actually looked up the HKG-YYZ flight at the same time, but it turns out HKG-YVR works better for me.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
That's interesting. Does your new itin route through YYZ on both outbound and inbound?

My new itin SEA-YVR-YYZ-HKG-YVR-SEA doesn't have any problem. Of course only the outbound will go through YYZ. The new HKG-YVR flight leaves HKG an hour later, so that actually works out slightly better and I am keeping it. When the agent was searching for options, I actually looked up the HKG-YYZ flight at the same time, but it turns out HKG-YVR works better for me.
No, just the outbound, so it should be the same itinerary as you, i.e. SEA-YVR-YYZ-HKG-YVR-SEA. I scheduled (or at least tied to) the outbound for one day earlier as I have another flight to catch from Hong Kong. I'll continue fighting. I really don't like morning flights
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
No, just the outbound, so it should be the same itinerary as you, i.e. SEA-YVR-YYZ-HKG-YVR-SEA. I scheduled (or at least tied to) the outbound for one day earlier as I have another flight to catch from Hong Kong. I'll continue fighting. I really don't like morning flights
I don't like morning/afternoon long-haul flights either. It was only because of the redeye YVR-HKG schedule was I going with AC and canceling my ticketed J award SEA-SFO-HKG-LAX-SEA on AS/CX. The price alone wouldn't have caused me giving up the CX flights and gone with AC. So I was initially very unhappy with the change. At least for me right now I get to try out the 77L, earn some additional miles, and changed the inbound flight to a preferred day with no fee.

Hope everything will work out for you.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:06 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The MPM 'whine & cheeze' by the airline is a non-starter. Maybe in initial ticketing, but not when they're fixing a change/cancellation that they initiated.

Re-accommodating depends on the new itinerary being acceptable to both you and the airline. You have the right to refuse a schedule that is inconvenient, over one that you would prefer.

It's in their best interests to allow this request, but I guess they don't have to.

However leaving it unresolved may lead to more logistical problems for the airline down the road. UA has done this often to me when a cancellation forced a reroute through the US with a 6am departure and a 5 hour layover. I won't take this re-route. They had to pay for a last minute SQ C seat one time because those were the only choices left.

Push for a suitable routing on AC. It's not tough for them to approve.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
However leaving it unresolved may lead to more logistical problems for the airline down the road. UA has done this often to me when a cancellation forced a reroute through the US with a 6am departure and a 5 hour layover. I won't take this re-route. They had to pay for a last minute SQ C seat one time because those were the only choices left.
My new itin is taken care of via YYZ but I am just curious. If I told them the only other Star Alliance flight left that would get me to HKG in early morning, as was the original AC flight at around 6:10am, is on SQ via SFO, would they budge and give me that flight? I thought about pushing them for more options, but the YYZ reroute was "good enough" so I didn't ask for more. I just want to find out if I should have done better.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:50 am

I would think that the YYZ routing is just about perfect. Besides, I wouldn't expect getting an alternate carrier would be offered until all AC choices are exhausted.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:09 am

Cheapoair got back to me this morning: nothing new, but he gave me the number to AC so I could try for myself. It was the same number as on AC's website, so no special line.

Called AC: After explaining to them that I can't fly out in the morning they told me that I have to have the poor call center guy doing all the discussing for me, but that he should ask for a supervisor.

Called cheapoair again (talked to the same guy) and was put on hold as he called AC again to initiate a conference call where I got to talk with a supervisor at AC who was quite unreasonable and denied my request. He refused to change my routing in any way or put me on a different carrier. He mainly tried to push for a refund.

So I'm back to square one and will have to call again later (which cheapoair in fact suggested). The guy at cheapoair can't send the reservation through to ticketing without authorization from AC or they will be charged.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I just got a call from Cheapo Air to tell me that my return on Oct 18 has been changed from HKG-YYZ-LAS to HKG-YVR-LAS. I figure this will cost me almost 2400 status miles and the same amount of bonus miles. I believe I even paid more to route through YYZ. Thankfully, I had planned to fly all the way to LAS and have already booked my return home from LAS to YYZ (as opposed to getting off in YYZ upon my return from HKG and going home).

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this to get some extra miles? AC will no longer credit miles for route booked, just route actually flown.

Edit: It looks like the problem is that AC593 YYZ-LAS has been cancelled, so I am being routed through YVR.

Last edited by margarita girl; Aug 18, 2010 at 8:51 pm
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Same sked change for me. Return is now HKG-YVR-LAS instead of YYZ. Have not received a call or email from either Cheap Fares or AC yet. Pissed off about the loss of SMs.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:34 pm

Would SE Concierge be able to assist?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
Maybe try AC016? It's still operating as per normal.

A call to AC wouldn't hurt, I don't think. The worst they can say is "No."
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:09 am

Unless they've dropped all the YYZ-LAS flights, just insist on your original routing, assuming you're prepared to overnight in Toronto. I prefer to skip leaving YYZ if at all possible, so would be likely to let it rest, but we all have different tolerances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.