Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many tickets have you bought for any given mistake fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many tickets have you bought for any given mistake fare?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AZ's LHR-DEL-LHR biz class special is the one extraordinary deal that had me buy and fly the most tickets - that AZ 's call center was so willing to change my trip start dates without any penalty made it so.
I remember that one too. I was really busy and did not have the time to search for ways to get to LHR cheap. Had I had enough time do two or more of those trips, I would have been more inclined to research ways of getting to LHR cheaply.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Check out the Mileage Run Deals Forum often. The times when I missed such deals was when I did not check the forum for a few days. As GUWonder pointed out many deals appear during the holiday period or weekend. My guess is the data entry people, when rushing to finish their work before the weekend or the holidays, are more prone to unintended errors.
The news spreads like wild fire. A cardinal rule, that must not be violated is DO NOT CALL the airline, under any circumstances, until after the fare is removed. Calling the airline alerts them and deprives some FTers of an opportunity to avail of the fare.
The latter paragraph is what makes some not post these deals at all or at least until those posters have ravaged that carcass enough where only vultures can swoop in at that point. These fares usually die quicker when posted, I would guess, but don't let that stop anyone from PM'ing me the deal instead.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought four of the OTP fares, two that year and two the next so that I made Plat two years running. I bought one of the UA C fares to NZ. That's it, I think, because all the other cheap fares, like the MAD fares last year, were intentional.

My problem is not having enough vacation time left to take advantage of these fares. Right now I have only 1-1/2 not-accounted-for days left until July.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schley
The latter paragraph is what makes some not post these deals at all or at least until those posters have ravaged that carcass enough where only vultures can swoop in at that point. These fares usually die quicker when posted, I would guess, but don't let that stop anyone from PM'ing me the deal instead.
When someone finds a "good deal", it's not unreasonable for them, if they so desire, to ravaged the deal before posting it here. It's not a TOS violation to not post it here. But the rules on which any community functions is mutual benefit and co-operation. Some people use PM's to spread the word and some post it here. Either is fine. But if someone chooses not to spread the word in any way at all, it shows an unwillingness to make contributions to the community from which they benefit IHMO. People call them freeloaders.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I bought four of the OTP fares, two that year and two the next so that I made Plat two years running. I bought one of the UA C fares to NZ. That's it, I think, because all the other cheap fares, like the MAD fares last year, were intentional.

My problem is not having enough vacation time left to take advantage of these fares. Right now I have only 1-1/2 not-accounted-for days left until July.
That has been an issue with me too. I don;t go for every good deal for other reasons too. I cannot and don't have use for maintain status on every alliance. It would be nice if I could. But I just can't.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Depending on the deal, I would buy at least 2 or 3. I have never had the chance and with my luck, I would miss the deal by a minute or so. Sigh..
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I loaded up on the UA/US DTW-GEG first class fares for $50. Beyond that, just the MX DFW-EZE and the BD YYZ-DME fares.

Like previous posters mentioned, it's all about the scheduling.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Couple of years ago AA briefly had a $29 OW fare between SAN-STL and vice versa. Wife and I made at least five RT's out of it and I made several more. Wish now I could have hit it even harder. It was the best "deal" (not sure it was an error) I've seen AA offer. Sure got to know the staff at STL AC well. Mr. Nussbaum (?) there was exceptionally helpful in rerouting me a few times so I could add miles.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Yaatri
How many tickets have you bought and used for any one mistake fare? It's been a long time since a real good mistake fare. I was able to use the OTP mistake fare only once, in fact that's the only mistake fare I have been able to use.
Show your support by voting for it.
I vote for one now.
None. I don't expect the airlines to take advantage of me so I don't do it of them.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I booked (4) of the $33 EWR-BZE

and (6) of the ~$242 US to Europe tickets on DL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.