Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How far do you drive to catch a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far do you drive to catch a flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
I have driven from MSY to IAH for a free flight about 20 years ago and from DSM to MCI for a cheap light to California about 15 years ago. Besides that I have rarely gone past an airport to fly out of another airport. From Manhattan, I don't even like to cross state lines and fly out of EWR....
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I lived in Phoenix there was one time I wanted to go to Boston on a certain weekend and the cheapest fares were $500-600. I ended up driving to Tucson (about 90 minutes) as I got a fare out of there for $335. What was funny about that was it's usually the other way around...people driving from Tucson to Phoenix for the cheaper fares.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
I'm based in NYC with no car but have taken a combo of trains (Amtrak=>SEPTA) to catch a 7 AMish MR out of PHL

I do drive when in FL, and since I fly UA, that necessitates an 1.5 hr drive north from MIA to Delray Beach (which is much closer to either PBI or FLL)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I live in the Bay Area, and we'll drive to SMF for the right fare, usually a few times a year.

I've driven or staged to/from LAX a couple times for a killer fare (e.g., MH $95 to TPE in C, FJ $51 to NAN).
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Folks used to drive from BGM to JFK or EWR for long-haul flights and BGM to SYR for domestic all the time.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MilagePlus
2.5 hours to Philadelphia

I have driven from Bristow, VA to Philadelphia, Pa for a $289 ai flight to HNL.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: none
Outbound:
Drive to MEM and park
Take the shuttle from the terminal to Hertz counter.
Rent one-way and drop off car at LIT. 1 hour 50 min.
Fly LIT-MEM-IND. No plane change in MEM.

Return:
IND to MEM. Miss the last flight leg.
Get off plane and get in your car.

Save $225.00 Including car rental.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA-GLD; DL-Silver
20 mins cab to LGA, or 20 mins cab to JFK (if I happen to be in a saving mode and luggage-lite, I use the AirTrain connection from the MTA subway for $5!)

A super location to be for those late night flights home....
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Last year i drive 9 hours from Ann Arbor, MI to DCA for a $300 flight to LIM...fun roadtrip on the way there...miserable on the way back, no showers after a week in the jungle, always awesome
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:16 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
im flying to MKE in May a couple of days before a business conference in CHI. will see a brewers game and cross them off my list and then take amtrak or a rental down to CHI and have work pay for that since i'm still saving about $50 more than i would have if i had just flown in to CHI from CHA insteadk of MKE. fare routing is so queer
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
MCO vs. MLB

I drive 45 minutes to MCO which saves me $200 and provides better routing than MLB which is 15 minutes away.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
DAL vs. DFW

I drive 30 minutes to DAL to fly WN. DFW is 10 minutes but AA messed me up three weeks in a row in June so I drive to fly WN!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:46 am

We drive to DTW or BUF about 21/2 hours each to easily save $500-700 per trip. Flying out of Canada is much more expensive than flying out of the States, so unless it is logistically easier to depart Canada, we head for the States. 2 people can travel for the price of 1. Parking is cheaper in the States and we top up with cheaper gas before heading home. Win-win for us.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: AC,CO,UA,US,BA
Originally Posted by g-didi
Flying out of Canada is much more expensive than flying out of the States, so unless it is logistically easier to depart Canada, we head for the States. 2 people can travel for the price of 1. Parking is cheaper in the States and we top up with cheaper gas before heading home. Win-win for us.
400 miles' driving from YQB to BOS last year to catch a flight to PVG.
Will Drive from YQB to BOS again next month to BCN.

Flying from YQB is much more expensive than YUL/YYZ or any other major canadian cities.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i live near IAH but once drove to DFW (about four hours, if memory serves) for a $199 round trip to HNL. would do that again if it were offered.

when in asheville i'm happy to drive to charlotte (two hours) for a better fare/routing.

i worked in canada for awhile and often flew into SEA instead of YVR to save a few hundred bucks. was worth the 2.5 hour drive to me, plus i got to see friends in SEA. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.