Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA: First ever MR from WAS/IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: First ever MR from WAS/IAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by JMassey699
OK. So I want to do this one this weekend. Dumb question here. But how do I go about booking this? I can't do it on Kayak because it doesn't allow this many segments. Tried it on the United site, can't do this many segments either. So do I just call them up and book it? Is there a cheaper way to book this itinerary while avoiding fees that airlines now charge people for breathing these days?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
I think it's too late to do this particular one for the price I got it for -- this exact itinerary would now be $641.30.

To search for a MR, take a look at the FAQ sticky thread and learn about ITA, then book on the UA site as a multi-city itinerary. You can usually skip the segments that go through UA hubs and allow it to route those automatically for you as 1-stops. In this example, I put in IAD-DTW, DTW-PHX, PHX-SEA, SEA-CLT, CLT-IAD (you can see here that I skipped ORD/SFO/ORD, the UA hubs).

Of course, you (and any other FTers with deep pockets) are more than welcome to join me for $641.30
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: D SM, AA A, SPG, HH, MR
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
I think it's too late to do this particular one for the price I got it for -- this exact itinerary would now be $641.30.

To search for a MR, take a look at the FAQ sticky thread and learn about ITA, then book on the UA site as a multi-city itinerary. You can usually skip the segments that go through UA hubs and allow it to route those automatically for you as 1-stops. In this example, I put in IAD-DTW, DTW-PHX, PHX-SEA, SEA-CLT, CLT-IAD (you can see here that I skipped ORD/SFO/ORD, the UA hubs).

Of course, you (and any other FTers with deep pockets) are more than welcome to join me for $641.30
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. I know about ITA. However, I didn't know about skipping segments that go through United hubs to allow the routing to take place automatically. I know how to book a multi-city but thought I was SOL when booking through an airline site because the number of segments in the mileage run were greater than the allowable segments I can actually type in on the airline site.

Now I know! Looks like I need to study up on my hub locations. And hopefully I can get a sweet MR deal here in the next week or so.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMassey699
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. I know about ITA. However, I didn't know about skipping segments that go through United hubs to allow the routing to take place automatically. I know how to book a multi-city but thought I was SOL when booking through an airline site because the number of segments in the mileage run were greater than the allowable segments I can actually type in on the airline site.

Now I know! Looks like I need to study up on my hub locations. And hopefully I can get a sweet MR deal here in the next week or so.
How many miles do you need? There's a iad-ord-den-fat-sfo-lax-las-ord-iad itinerary Saturday morning to Sunday morning for about $300 that takes about 25 hours total and would be about 6000 BIS miles, all on UA/UX metal. Heck, it even has a 3hr49min layover in Vegas!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
How many miles do you need? There's a iad-ord-den-fat-sfo-lax-las-ord-iad itinerary Saturday morning to Sunday morning for about $300 that takes about 25 hours total and would be about 6000 BIS miles, all on UA/UX metal.
I can see doing that if you need 8 EQSes. If miles are what's called for, sure seems like IAD-LAX-SFO-LAX-IAD on 12/15 -- costs $260, takes ~15.5 hrs total, earns 5576 EQM (w/500 minimums; minima?) -- is a better solution all around unless you really need the extra 400 EQM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beltway
I can see doing that if you need 8 EQSes. If miles are what's called for, sure seems like IAD-LAX-SFO-LAX-IAD on 12/15 -- costs $260, takes ~15.5 hrs total, earns 5576 EQM (w/500 minimums; minima?) -- is a better solution all around unless you really need the extra 400 EQM.
Good call -- I was searching for 8-segment trips for some reason.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who helped on this! I'd declare it a good success for my first MR. Made all the tight-ish connections no problem, burned through a bunch of e500's to upgrade all 7 upgradeable segments, and even got plenty of sleep to boot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.