FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   UA: First ever MR from WAS/IAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1024916-ua-first-ever-mr-iad.html)

fsfsfsfs Dec 7, 2009 7:28 pm

UA: First ever MR from WAS/IAD

Hi FTers! Hoping someone who's an expert at this can help me decide whether to pull the trigger on a last minute MR this weekend. I've never done this before!

I'm already 1K for 2010 with about 137k EQM. Need about 13k more to get the 2 SWUs @ 150k (I'm assuming the DEQM bonus will count for 2009 even though they're not supposed to post until several weeks after promo ends).

DEQM promo ends 12/15... So here's what I found via ITA for $385 (not a great deal, but not terrible for 5 days before departure!), all on UA metal:

IAD-SAN-SFO-SEA-SFO-SAN-IAD

Unless my math is horrifically wrong, that adds up to something over 6800, which with DEQM would give me over 13,000 EQM and 13,000 RDM for a heinous $0.028/RDM.

Here are my questions:

1. I get into SEA past midnight and the flight to SFO doesn't leave until 7am -- too much time to just hang out, but not really worth it to get a hotel room either... What do you experienced folks recommend?

2. I was originally hoping to swing by PHX and make SFO my destination to meet with friends; however, because of fares/stopovers/codeshare, that didn't work out, so the only purpose of this 30-hour trip is to get these 2 SWUs. Do you think it's worth it to spend pretty much my entire weekend doing this?

3. There are some tight connections in there... Any other advice/tidbits not already posted in the FAQ? Anything United-specific would be super helpful!

Thanks all!

imanexception Dec 7, 2009 9:31 pm

what day are you trying to depart on?

fsfsfsfs Dec 7, 2009 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by imanexception (Post 12945429)
what day are you trying to depart on?

Departing on Saturday, 12 Dec, at 3pm, from Dulles, and getting back Sunday evening 9pm-ish.

hausrath Dec 7, 2009 9:35 pm

I hate paying for hotels on a mileage run. What about:
12/12 IAD-IAH-DEN-PHX-SFO
12/12 SFO-SEA-(redeye)-ORD
12/13 ORD-CLT-IAD

6803 miles (before deqm) for $271.80. It's a WAS-SFO fare.

Leave 8:17am Sat, return 11:19am Sun. Not that much better in (terms of mileage) than your run, but at a better price, with more stops (which I personally like - a chance to stretch your legs), and a redeye to avoid an overnight.

If you're curious, in ITA it was:
IAD:: O:UA UA1-999 UA1-999+ O:UA / -overnight, -codeshare
SFO:: O:UA+ SEA UA1-999 UA1-999+ O:UA / -overnight, -codeshare
12/12 to 12/12

imanexception Dec 7, 2009 9:51 pm

nevrmnd

fsfsfsfs Dec 7, 2009 10:19 pm

Thank you!

Thank you to both imanexception and hausrath for helping out this newbie! :D

I'm going to go with a very slight variation on what hausrath suggested, for $100 less than I would have paid! My big mistake was not searching for a 12 Dec return date -- I assumed (incorrectly, of course), that a Saturday night stayover was required for the great WAS-SFO fare. Lesson learned!

$273.30 iad-dtw-ord-phx-sfo-sea-ord-clt-iad ^
13180 EQM and 13180 RDM
2.1cpm

With all layovers between 49 min and 2 hr, and total IAD-IAD time of just 27 hours.

I also thought about hopping over to ROC or SYR on the return for more miles, but came to my senses and remembered that it's winter -- CLT was a great idea, hausrath.

Thanks again! I've learned some more tricks for my next MR :)

UMIG Dec 7, 2009 10:21 pm

150K plateau...

I am so sorry I do not quite understand the 150K bonus that you are talking about??? I am a 1K and have raked up 152K for 2009. I just checked the United 1K website, and the only things that they have was for 75K, 125K and then 175K bonus. Could you pls. advise if I am missing something here?

Thanks.

Dan

hausrath Dec 7, 2009 10:26 pm

Glad to be of service! If you're really trying to find all the options a particular fare allows, force the fare basis as well:

IAD:: O:UA UA1-999 UA1-999+ O:UA / -overnight, -codeshare, f UA.WAS+SFO.LAG3GS
SFO:: O:UA+ SEA UA1-999 UA1-999+ O:UA / -overnight, -codeshare, f UA.WAS+SFO.LAG3GS

That will sometimes prompt ITA to provide some, lets just say, creative routings :)

Enjoy your MR!

fsfsfsfs Dec 7, 2009 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by UMIG (Post 12945692)
I am so sorry I do not quite understand the 150K bonus that you are talking about??? I am a 1K and have raked up 152K for 2009. I just checked the United 1K website, and the only things that they have was for 75K, 125K and then 175K bonus. Could you pls. advise if I am missing something here?

Thanks.

Dan

Hi Dan,

This is not an Elite Choice bonus, but a benefit that comes with 1K (allegedly! this is my first year ;)):

Earn unlimited e-systemwide upgrades
There is no limit to the number of e-systemwide Upgrades you can earn. You'll receive two more e-systemwide Upgrades for every additional 50,000 EQM or 50 EQS earned, starting at 150,000 EQM or 150 EQS in a calendar year.
From: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1170,00.html

Congrats on your 2 SWUs!

fsfsfsfs Dec 7, 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by hausrath (Post 12945707)
Glad to be of service! If you're really trying to find all the options a particular fare allows, force the fare basis as well:

IAD:: O:UA UA1-999 UA1-999+ O:UA / -overnight, -codeshare, f UA.WAS+SFO.LAG3GS
SFO:: O:UA+ SEA UA1-999 UA1-999+ O:UA / -overnight, -codeshare, f UA.WAS+SFO.LAG3GS

That will sometimes prompt ITA to provide some, lets just say, creative routings :)

Enjoy your MR!

Wow, you've really studied up on your ITA queries! I'm so happy that such a tool exists for everyone -- sometimes I wonder if the reservations agents know how to get creative like this (not with MRs obviously, but with other routings -- sometimes it seems like they know only what .bomb knows!).

Thanks again!

UMIG Dec 8, 2009 10:07 am

150K plateau...

United has already deposited 2 SWU (The Elite Bonus)into my account prior to me reaching the 150K, are you saying that I would be entitled to 2 more SWU in addition to the Elite Bonus SWU??? That would mean that I would have 10 SWU... (6 annual + 2 Elite Bonus and + 2 for reaching the 150K)

Can't believe it??? Wow

fsfsfsfs Dec 8, 2009 10:47 am

Originally Posted by UMIG (Post 12948101)
United has already deposited 2 SWU (The Elite Bonus)into my account prior to me reaching the 150K, are you saying that I would be entitled to 2 more SWU in addition to the Elite Bonus SWU??? That would mean that I would have 10 SWU... (6 annual + 2 Elite Bonus and + 2 for reaching the 150K)

Can't believe it??? Wow

Yes, I believe if you have 150K EQM this year, you earn a total of 10 SWUs if you opt for the 2 SWUs at year end (rather than the 25000 RDM or RCC credit card annual fee waiver).

I'm not sure how you currently have 2 SWUs now, though. If you registered as a 1K for early deposit, 4 SWUs should have been deposited. The Elite Choice Year End Rewards shouldn't post until 12/31 (I know I haven't received mine, and I've been over 125k for a while now).

UMIG Dec 8, 2009 3:51 pm

150K Plateau

I reached the 125K at the end of Oct. and my account was just credited with 2 SWU in Nov. I believe they are for the Elite Choice Year-End Award since I have already exceeded the 125K. The 150K SWU has yet to come, FYI.

BTW, I have one SWU which is due to expire in 01/2010 and I just requested and United agreed to extend this one to 04/2010, FYI... (Note: They would only extend one for three months if you are also qualified as a 1K for the coming year.)

fsfsfsfs Dec 8, 2009 10:11 pm

UMIG, strange that you got the 2 SWUs posted -- I didn't get that this year, just the 4 early deposits for 1K.

Don't want to go OT here -- thanks again to all who helped me book my first MR -- I'll report back here after it's complete :)

USAJerry Dec 9, 2009 10:53 am

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs (Post 12945685)
Thank you to both imanexception and hausrath for helping out this newbie! :D

I'm going to go with a very slight variation on what hausrath suggested, for $100 less than I would have paid! My big mistake was not searching for a 12 Dec return date -- I assumed (incorrectly, of course), that a Saturday night stayover was required for the great WAS-SFO fare. Lesson learned!

$273.30 iad-dtw-ord-phx-sfo-sea-ord-clt-iad ^
13180 EQM and 13180 RDM
2.1cpm

With all layovers between 49 min and 2 hr, and total IAD-IAD time of just 27 hours.

I also thought about hopping over to ROC or SYR on the return for more miles, but came to my senses and remembered that it's winter -- CLT was a great idea, hausrath.

Thanks again! I've learned some more tricks for my next MR :)

OK. So I want to do this one this weekend. Dumb question here. But how do I go about booking this? I can't do it on Kayak because it doesn't allow this many segments. Tried it on the United site, can't do this many segments either. So do I just call them up and book it? Is there a cheaper way to book this itinerary while avoiding fees that airlines now charge people for breathing these days?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.