Search

Usairways one way MR, Austin-Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat100, UA 1K, National Exec
Usairways one way MR, Austin-Phoenix

Hi, experts:

I'm new here, and think of doing a MR first time.
I have 40K miles right now with usairways, would like to get to Gold status for 50K miles by year end. I signed on for double miles, so 5K miles should do the trick. Is it possible to get that much miles in a one way MR, Aus-Phx?
If not, any suggestion for MR out of Phx or Austin on Usairways?

Also, how do I figure out where to stop for connection to get most of miles?

Thanks for any help and suggestions

William

Last edited by williamx; Dec 17, 2006 at 12:28 pm
Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Hi williamx, and welcome to FT!

Folks here are generally very welcoming, friendly, and helpful, but it sometimes helps to do a bit of researching as a way of getting started... I think that if you read the stickies located at the top of the board, you can learn about some of the tools for "routing rules" (figuring out where you can make connections). As an easy way of getting started, you can try some of the ITA Software tools described there - play with it a bit and sometimes you can see interesting combinations.

Also, the pure definition of a "mileage run" is a trip designed for the sole purpose of gaining miles (with no regard for the destination) - you pick a routing that gives you lots of miles for a little money, and you fly it, usually not returning landside until you are back home. So it's best not to ask about a "mileage run from AUS to PHX."

Having said all that, I think your challenge of getting 5K on US on a one-way from AUS-PHX would require someone with better skills at this than I have, and might be an interesting problem. You might get better response here if you do some playing with it, see what the best is that you can find, and then asking here if anyone can do better.

Again, welcome to FT!
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Hi williamx,

US Airways has this promotion at: http://www.usair.com/awa/content/div...ingcounts.aspx

The best deal seems to be buying flowers from FTD.COM where you'll get 20 miles per dollar that counts toward prefered status! Buy a few hundred dollars worth and you'll get your Gold level without the need for a MR.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: CO-P, HH-DIAMOND, *WOOD-PLAT
to take advantage of the double miles promo, you can only travel non-stop between any two of the destinations listed here (and as discussed in this FT thread).

aus-phx is normally 896 miles (so 1792 after double). so to get 10k miles you'd have to fly a lot more than aus-phx.

as noted earlier, your best bet is to buy some flowers from ftd.com... but even at 20miles/$, you're looking at $500 worth of flowers...
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat100, UA 1K, National Exec
Thanks for all the reply and suggestions. I just did a RT flight of Phx-Bos, and will complete a Phx-Aus RT this week, so shall be good to reach 50K.
I also looked the sticky posts about MR. One question still puzzles me, how do you figure out a dozen or more segments for a MR? using ITASoftware? I can add 1-2 as connecting points, but have no idea even to begin with 12 or 16 segments MR. Take this Phx-Bos flight, I couldn't figure out how to add a lot more segments to it. Anyone to enlighten a new bee?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.