Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Mileage "O" European fare)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

AA Mileage "O" European fare)

I'm not doing a challenge, I'm trying to qualify for Platinum next year. If I take an "O" fare flight to Europe does it still count toward my miles? I'm looking to qualify based on 50K miles, not points.

If not, should I do the 25Kmiles/$250 upgrade to business class? Does that make the miles "count", or does only the base fare count?

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:59 pm

Why not see for yourself:
www.aa.com
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sorry from the AA.com qualification requirements:

"Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible."

Also, upgrading using miles and co-pay does not change whether/how much your ticket qualifies (elite requirements are based on the purchased booking class, not what you upgrade into), i.e., upgrading will still mean you have an "O" ticket.

[Edited to add] Re-read your post, and it appears that you haven't already booked your ticket yet -- that's good, avoid "O" international booking classes when you do make your reservation. To see the booking class before completing your purchase, place your tickets on hold on AA.com and then purchase.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Problem Fixed

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Re-read your post, and it appears that you haven't already booked your ticket yet -- that's good, avoid "O" international booking classes when you do make your reservation. To see the booking class before completing your purchase, place your tickets on hold on AA.com and then purchase.
I did already purchase.

However, I was able to upgrade the fare for about $100. That's good since I did a vacation package that included hotel and all of that.

I was worried it would cost me a lot of dough to change the fare class.

Big thanks to FlyerTalk, as it alerted me to the "Q/O" Euro issue. Thankfully, I caught it before I returned from a vacation I don't need. I don't need a vacation, I do need Platinum status.

p.s. The nice lady at the American Platinum Desk told me American will likely offer the "pay to retain status" option. Look in your email or on the web in early to mid December.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
www.aa.com
Because it's hidden on the site; the Internet equivalent of fine print. You have to look at Linky to find out that you don't even get mileage for those flights. You don't see that detail in the Qualification Requirements link. It's not even on page 8 of the printed Platinum guide. You have to go to the web link they give and dig through the content to determine what "eligible flights" means.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
On the qualification requirement link it does clearly state :
\** Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible. right below the table.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by holmedown
On the qualification requirement link it does clearly state :
\** Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible. right below the table.

That's the segment I put in my earlier post. However, I agree with OP that it's confusing as well as hard to find -- it's a footnote on a table about eligible points (not miles). It's not clear from the footnote that it also applies to status through miles.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
www.aa.com
Yep, 8065 posts and not one contribution. Fine effort.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
That's the segment I put in my earlier post. However, I agree with OP that it's confusing as well as hard to find -- it's a footnote on a table about eligible points (not miles). It's not clear from the footnote that it also applies to status through miles.
However, it is clear on this page, which specifically deals with miles earned on AA flights.

Mike
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by nako
However, it is clear on this page, which specifically deals with miles earned on AA flights.

Mike
Agree. It is clearer on that page -- now, if it was just a little easier to find that page. Would be nice if "Earn Miles" was direct link from the Program Details page.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by drtravels55
Yep, 8065 posts and not one contribution. Fine effort.
Nice.

Doesn't it make more sense to go the source of the information (aa.com in this case) for a definitive answer to a question than to rely on anonymous posts on some random third party site? IMO providing the link to the airline site was indeed a fine effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.