Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ Article: Fare (mis)pricings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, before taxes, fees, surcharges. $66 is an error.
Also, I didn't think ANYONE serisouly posted they pooked a year of the Travelocity Japan rate as teh article states.

I know Hans did with Expedia, but did it really happen again?!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Also, I didn't think ANYONE serisouly posted they pooked a year of the Travelocity Japan rate as teh article states.

I know Hans did with Expedia, but did it really happen again?!
The columnist left out that someone booked more than 6 months at Amerisuites Charlotte.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by martian
I don't like the sound of this:
Sure sounds like what farecompare does. @:-)
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The article also fails to mention that Travelocity is honoring the $24.90 to $26.00 rate at the Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York City if booked on their website but those who booked on Marriot's own website may not get the rate. That discussion continues on the Hotel Deals subforum http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545937
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CalItalian
The article also fails to mention that Travelocity is honoring the $24.90/$26.00 rate at the Residence Inn by Marriott if booked on their website but those who booked on Marrriot's own website may not get the rate. That discussion continues on the Hotel Deals subforum http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545937
Marriott seems to be acting like Starwood did with the Lanesborough debacle.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jpdx
A pretty poorly researched article.
Maybe we should send this thread to WSJ.

Expedia found itself mistakenly offering rooms at two Hilton hotels in Japan for $3 a night last November instead of $300 a night. Expedia said Hilton honored reservations made for stays in November but not in later months.

I'm going in 2 weeks and again in 6 weeks to enjoy both Hiltons at a very reasonable rate of $3 per night.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
You'd think the WSJ would know how to spell Cyprus correctly.
Yeah, the WSJ... They were probably just playing Cypress Hill in the office that day and made a simple, subconscious mistake.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
"The Middle Seat" ought to be called FlyerTalk Lite or something. That guy gets a LOT of his story ideas from Flyertalk. Must make his life easier not having to come up with interesting topics anymore. Unfortunately many of the articles are about fare mistakes and gaming the system, which IMO serves primarily to bring more bottom feeders to FT. Yay?
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
You'd think the WSJ would know how to spell Cyprus correctly. @:-)
It's the case of a journalist doing half its job (probably why reports 66$ too). If you recall, the original title or actual text of the announcement of this fare did say "Cypress". It has since been corrected though I won't complain about the spelling capacity of the OP of that thread, because there were far more important things in his post! (Like getting to Cyprus in C for 33$ )
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:45 am

[QUOTE=PismocrabThat guy gets a LOT of his story ideas from Flyertalk. Must make his life easier not having to come up with interesting topics anymore. [/QUOTE]

In the journalism business, that'll get you a reputation as a bottom-feeder who can't find his own stories. I see it every damn day. True journalism is dead.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by ephram
thanks! long time listener, first time caller <grin>
And then you are supposed to continue, "And I really love your show."
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by AKronin
Yeah, the WSJ... They were probably just playing Cypress Hill in the office that day and made a simple, subconscious mistake.
Ha! Great one, AKronin. The author might have been a bit too influenced by the lyrics of Cypress Hill's classic track "I Want to Get High."

[START OF RANT]

Is it me, or is the misuse of the apostrophe just out of control? As in, "I bought a dozen apple's at the store today." And I really seem to see it a lot with highly educated people I work with (e.g., other attorneys). Ugh.

[END OF RANT]
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joelfreak
Interesting quote from Travelocity on the Osaka mess...now they qualify their whole campaign? Its not "we will make you have a smile"...
Exactly! It appears they've changed the way in which they interpret their own guarantee based upon the Japan hotel mess-up.

I'm getting so cynical about these companies.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I think he should have mentioned the AC / AUA situation, where AC is honoring the first ticket bought on 1 January for just tax, but AUA never ticketed the same "purchases" through their site as codeshares that were confirmed...yet folks found that Opodo came through. Talk about case-by-case basis!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER
I think he should have mentioned the AC / AUA situation, where AC is honoring the first ticket bought on 1 January for just tax, but AUA never ticketed the same "purchases" through their site as codeshares that were confirmed...yet folks found that Opodo came through. Talk about case-by-case basis!
So the moral of the story is...when you find a mistake on several sites, book on every site you can think of, so that you have the best chance of at least one being honored??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.