Found a ticket... How to find segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways SP, AAdvanage, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, more to come

I've been checking out ExpertFlyer, but debating whether its worth paying the subscription. How do I find segments to put into the ticket? It allows for 3 transfers each way, 6 total wtih "no stopovers". The fare is a T fare, but I cant seem to find anything else or routing it through FLL (its a fare from BUF-LAX) without the price doubling

Any help is appreciated.
Gagan
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
It's possible that T fares are not available on some of the segments you are trying to add, meaning that the entire series of flights from origin to destination must be booked from more expensive fare buckets
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:28 pm

First, we'll assume that this is on US, given your profile. (The post doesn't specifically mention US, and both US and CO have T fares on this route.)

Given that, you'll need to know be able to answer two questions:

1) Are the segments I'm adding allowed?
2) Is there fare availability on that segment?

Starting with question 1, you'll need the routing rules:

ROUTING 21 FROM BUF-US-ROC-US-SYR-US-EWR/NYC-
US-PHL-US-BWI/WAS-US-PIT-
OR FROM BUF-US-PIT-US-CLT-
OR FROM BUF-US-PHL-US-BWI/WAS-US-GSO/
RDU-US-CLT-
VIA US-IND/CMH/STL/MSP-
OR VIA US-CHI-US-MKC-
TO US-DEN-US-PHX-US-LAS-US-SFO-
The ones that I've provided are for the S fare on that route, which is the same price. They don't change that often, so it should be adequate for the purposes of the T fare.

Note that FLL isn't there. Adding it in breaks the fare into a separate BUF-FLL fare, which is going to spike the price. You have to go in the order listed between the airports with the dashes, not the slashes. In other words, you could go BUF-PIT-CLT-SFO-LAX according to the routing.

Once you've figured out where you can go, this is where you need to find out if the buckets are available for each segment. ExpertFlyer comes in quite handy for that, though there are other tools you can use. Basically, all segments must have the T availability. If they don't, then it breaks the fare and you're out of luck.

Mike
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways SP, AAdvanage, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, more to come
Well the last segment shows as an L fare, but I'm trying to see if theres a way to find out the fares without going through the 5min selections everytime :-S
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Mike: yo'ure right its US I'm trying for. The routing's a little confusing though.

FROM BUF-US-ROC-US-SYR-US-EWR/NYC-
RDU-US-CLT-
----------
I'm guessing the BUF-US means from BUF on US. But the BUF-US-PIT-US-CLT... does tht mean BUF-PIT-CLT or one of the three?
----------
VIA US-IND/CMH/STL/MSP-

The VIA part I understand, and I'm guessing this means through IND or CMH or STL or MSP, on US.
----------
OR VIA US-CHI-US-MKC-
----------
Does this mean THROUGH CHI and MKC or just one?
----------
----------
And last one.... Is it DEN-PHX-LAS-SFO or just SFO-LAX?
Also, you mentioned other places than ExpertFlyer. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help
G

Last edited by mwarrior; Oct 6, 2005 at 5:52 pm
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by mwarrior
FROM BUF-US-ROC-US-SYR-US-EWR/NYC-
RDU-US-CLT-
----------
I'm guessing the BUF-US means from BUF on US. But the BUF-US-PIT-US-CLT... does tht mean BUF-PIT-CLT or one of the three?
You choose one of the 'From' lines. Within each of the 'From' lines, you go in order, so BUF-PIT-CLT is possible, but not neccessary. So if you choose from say 'FROM BUF-US-ROC-US-SYR-US-EWR/NYC' , you can go BUF-LGA, no need to go via ROC and SYR first (but you can if you want/flights exist).

VIA US-IND/CMH/STL/MSP-

The VIA part I understand, and I'm guessing this means through IND or CMH or STL or MSP, on US.
Yes, that's right.

OR VIA US-CHI-US-MKC-
----------
Does this mean THROUGH CHI and MKC or just one?
You can go through CHI and then MKC, or just CHI or just MKC, just not MKC and then CHI.

----------
And last one.... Is it DEN-PHX-LAS-SFO or just SFO-LAX?
DEN-PHX-LAS-SFO-LAX is ok, routing wise, but you'd exceed the number of transfers (3 each way).

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that helped a lot. So I guess the next thing is subscribe to and check ExpertFlyer for availability and book it on Expedia or something?

nako mentioned other tools... which would these be?
Gagan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.