Forced Skyteam Run!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced Skyteam Run!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, VS Gold, SAA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Presidents, Amx Plat
Help-Forced Skyteam Run!!

Hi all, my first post and i need some help...

I had a BA first class tkt to JNB from NYC. Yesterdays strike action forced me to reroute on AF from NYC to JNB. As a consequence, have now enrolled in Flying Blue with mileage based on FC fare from NYC.

First question-is there a thread that will help me do a mileage run on Skyteam-please send the link.

Second-Is there a precendent for my miles and points to be credited to my BA account-after all, I didnt fly as a result of their issues?

Third-Am gold on one world and star alliance-do i really need to be part of skyteam?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by paddingtonbear; Aug 12, 2005 at 2:18 pm
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by paddingtonbear
Is there a precendent for my miles and points to be credited to my BA account-after all, I didnt fly as a result of their issues?
Hi paddingtonbear. Welcome to Flyertalk.

As for your second question, it depends. Normally, BA will post the miles flown on carriers they themselves rebooked you onto (As they did in this case), and yes, it's often possible to double dip.

HOWEVER, if your FlyingBlue number appears on the boarding passes, then you'll likely have a hard time of it, because BA will ask to see the boarding passes, and it will be difficult to hide the fact that you are, indeed, double dipping.

It's a bit of a "Don't ask, don't tell" grey area. So, good luck with it.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:45 pm

Hi. Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Re: your first question: You've found the place. MRs of all shapes and sizes and affiliations show up here, so hang around this forum long enough and you'll pick up quite a lot. Additionally, you might want to consider looking at some of the individual SkyTeam carrier forums here for more specific questions about the respective airlines.

Re: your third question: In a nutshell, the answer is 'probably not'. But it really depends on a host of variables. Where/why/how often you fly is likely going to be the primary concern for choosing a preferred airline/alliance. As you'll find out, many people here split their flying among multiple airlines/alliances, so it's not out of the question for you to do the same thing. But you really need to do a bit of the legwork to analyze your own flying and see if there's any benefit for you in earning elite status across SkyTeam.

These are just some random thoughts that came to mind. I'm sure that some more seasoned veterans of FT may post additional info for you. Good luck with SkyTeam accrual if you go that route, and welcome again.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
As far as a SkyTeam MR, best check the SkyTeam subforum under the 'global alliances' heading - I don't think there are very many posts about MRs persay there, but you should be able to find the kind of information you'd need such as timeframe restrictions etc. to build one.

Welcome!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I wouldn't do a MR on Skyteam just to get status based on one Skyteam trip taken under exceptional circumstances. It's only worth the trouble if you plan to fly Skyteam regularly.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:53 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
I am not sure you really need to do a ST mileage run after this trip. NYC-JNB in F will get you a huge amount of miles, especially if you're on AF for the inbound segment too... Assuming this, you should be Flying Blue GOLD immediately after your inbound segment:
  • CDG-JNB = 5,435 miles
  • JFK-CDG = 3,628
  • R/T = miles x 2
  • F = miles x 3 (an improvement of the new FB over the old AF Frquence Plus program. F bonus is now 200%)
If my calculation is correct (and provided you're on AF or KLM for the inbound...) you should get (5,435+3,628) x 3 x 2 = 54,378 status miles.
As a 'non France-based' member, you are Gold beyond 40,000 status miles (for the same status I need 60,000 as french member). If you want to reach Platinum (70,000), you will have to collect 15,622 by the end of this year (on CO, DL or NW for instance), maybe a bit challenging.
To be fair, for US based members, FB Gold is SkyTeam Elite and not Elite + (Platinum). To be taken into account as far as lounge access is concerned.

The collection of miles on 2 programs at the same time has been discussed recently in the FB forum (AF rescheduled to BA ). Be aware that the inbound segment might not be an involuntary rerouting so that might affect the ability to collect miles on both programs for one segment.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460220
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, VS Gold, SAA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Presidents, Amx Plat
many thanks for all your comments and views-much appreciated.

Falco, thanks for the calculation-but i will be returning on BA.

FYI-AF First Suite is probably the best i have been on (cf BA, Swiss, SQ, AA, United, SAA)-seems that they wiil only be rolling these out on 777s-unless you have heard otherwise?

Once again thanks for all your advice-unlikely that i will pursue Sky Team elite status based on your comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.