Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Fare alert email website *NOW* up and running....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare alert email website *NOW* up and running....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Does anyone know of a service that can monitor your inbox, and based on filters, call you if an email meets the criteria of the filters? I did a google, and didn't really find anything quite like that. Would be handy for when away from the computer, and when your away from the computer even for a bit will be the time the deal comes out (e.g. the US deal came out when I was flying them this weekend) .

Thanks Scott for setting this up!
Find the email address for your phone (through www.teleflip.com, or just email [email protected]) and sign that up to the list. With only a few emails a month you won't get spammed...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:23 pm
Suspended

For the record.

I haven; receieved anything either.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Nothing here, either
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Probably not helpful at this point, but I'm subscribed at my Yahoo address, my 'real' email address, and my cell phone and I didn't receive any alerts.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I have a couple addresses down too AFAIK and nada so far.

Best to use now FWIW is

ozstamps at bigpond.net.au

Glen

Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The new mailinglist provider will be up and running in a few days. It is a lot of work but it will be worth it. FWIW, the list will also be mentioned in Forbes this month
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I received the email on Saturday at 8:50am EST. I was also on the old list, if that matters.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I received the email on Saturday at 8:50am EST. I was also on the old list, if that matters.
At the moment it looks like it stopped sending after the first 1000 or so subscribers, meaning somewhere on the net a spam system kicked in...

As I said, stay tuned for a brand new heavy-duty version in the next day or so
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:37 pm

Location: Winter Park Fla. USA Hilton Diamond, Delta SM, Starwood Gold, Hertz PC

How do you log in and sign up? I've tried going to farealert.net and it says it's a forbidden website.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
OT - Holy Cow, 28,829 posts at 17.5 a day, is ScottC the king of FT?! I mean that in the best way, I've kind of racked up a few posts myself...does anyone else in FT beat it I'd like to know?

It's still nothing compared to the BA rivals, they nick our cheap flight deals off of us, & drive up demand for Tesco points (convertible to BA miles) with their Home Furnishing & Charter holiday conversion deals -
www.moneysavingexpert.com - you'll see a woman on the link below who has had --- 11,098 posts since joining in Feb'04!! good on her (I think)!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.html?t=31757

P.S. I received registry notification & welcome to FareAlert on April 11th, & have not received anything since then.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
thanks for the update and 2 quick questions....

will a test e-mail be sent (i want to make sure my spam filter behaves properly)

with your "change over", for those of us that signed up recently (myself-w/in the past 10 days), do we have to re-register?

thanks again ^
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The site is down at the moment, will be back soon. Everyone that signed up till this afternoon will be migrated.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
A Possible Alternative

Scott,

Thanks for all your work on the fare alert system. I was thinking about other possible ways to get info out to members and recalled a Thread Subscription capability. It also has the ability to notify whenever a new posting was made (almost instantly if I understood it correctly).

Would it be possible to create 1 thread called "Fare Alert" or something to that effect, and only let the Moderators have access to it. Whenever a member has found a fare, they can send it to the Moderator(s) and then they could post the information. Those who subscribe to that thread would then be automatically notified and, of course, the ensuing mayhem of rapid FT dialogue would occur on a separate member created discussion (couldn't believe the volume of posting re. USAir's $2 error).

Of course, this is just a concept and don't know if it would actually work in reality. Just my two cents, or centavos, or pence...

Ideas, suggestions, complaints, contemplations, musings?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
This is a creative idea, but there are several ideas why I don't think it would be a better solution than what Scott has offered us now:

1) One of the three moderators would have to be available in order to update that thread. On the mailing list, Scott can designate as many administrators as he wants who can put the alert out on the list.

2) The Thread Subscription feature will only notify your FT-associated email address. Many people want these alerts to go to cell phones, pagers, work email, etc where it will be immediately noticed, whereas the email from FT goes to "personal" mailboxes such as hotmail, gmail, etc. All mail would have to go to the same place, and that doesn't work for many people.

Once the kinks get worked out with the mail server and spam filter, I can say from a historical perspective that this list is very effective if people notice the deals and post them. I am hopeful that we'll see fewer of the "fare sales" (things that happen every day -- Airline X offers LAX-NYC for $129 r/t) and more for true gotta-get-it-now fare deals ($2 to ART, $51 to NAN, etc).

-Dave

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Scott,

Thanks for all your work on the fare alert system. I was thinking about other possible ways to get info out to members and recalled a Thread Subscription capability. It also has the ability to notify whenever a new posting was made (almost instantly if I understood it correctly).

Would it be possible to create 1 thread called "Fare Alert" or something to that effect, and only let the Moderators have access to it. Whenever a member has found a fare, they can send it to the Moderator(s) and then they could post the information. Those who subscribe to that thread would then be automatically notified and, of course, the ensuing mayhem of rapid FT dialogue would occur on a separate member created discussion (couldn't believe the volume of posting re. USAir's $2 error).

Of course, this is just a concept and don't know if it would actually work in reality. Just my two cents, or centavos, or pence...

Ideas, suggestions, complaints, contemplations, musings?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:34 pm

Send an email then. thx

Originally Posted by ScottC
Thankfully the list is back:

www.farealert.net

I will be sending out a test email later this week to test the server load and to remove old (bouncing) contacts. It is perfectly possible that things won't be running 100%, but we will be able to tweak that.

In the mean time, if you feel comfortable letting people know about these deals please let me know, and I will arrange admin rights for you so you can enter the deals yourself.

If you were on the old "tarom" list then you do not need to signup again, all old subscribers were imported into the new site.

With well over 4500 subscribers the list is quite a success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.