Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Forum Reminder: Please post WHERE U FOUND a given fare!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forum Reminder: Please post WHERE U FOUND a given fare!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2004, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Exclamation Forum Reminder: Please post WHERE U FOUND a given fare!

If you are going to take the time to post a particular fare here, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO LET US KNOW WHERE YOU FOUND THE DEAL. In addition, please INCLUDE THE FARE BASIS CODE!

With so many fares now only available thru certain outlets, it sometimes becomes very time consuming to find a fare which has been quoted here.

Here's a case in point. It's a great find, but some are still jumping to find this UAL deal.

This is particulary important on days like today when UAL res is swamped and we can't get thru... or when the fare is SOOOO GOOD, that it is liable to be pulled quickly.

So please, give us the 'heads up' on where you found your deal... just say something like 'oh its a published fare... or available thru Travelocity, or Ortibz,' etc, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by tvl4free; May 27, 2004 at 10:54 am
Old May 27, 2004, 1:31 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Why don't we just assume it's available anywhere unless otherwise specified? That's usually the case.

Besides, suppose I find a fare on Expedia.com. Do I have to check all the other web sites before posting? Or should I say "found on Expedia.com", implying that it's not available anywhere else?
Old May 27, 2004, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
It just seems to me that more and more the best fares are not published fares anymore... but are found on a single, individual site. As a case in point, the DL fare mentioned above was originally only available via dl.com.

I looked for it in WS, then went to Travelocity, then to Expedia, then to Orbitz, yada, yada... very time consuming, in the middle of nowhere, with dial-up access!

And BTW, I personally never shop on Delta.com, primarily because I am a mileage runner (which effectively means that I buy segments - and as you may know, DL.com doesn't do that for me well).

Much easier just to know where it came from, no, mon ami?

Even more important when the fare is of the thirty dollar SFO to Paris type and time is of the essence, I would think.

Just flip thru a few of the past 'hot fare posts' to see how many times FTers say, 'Where did you find that fare? I can't find it. What search engine are you using? I'm trying, but can't get it... w-h-e-r-e again???'

Yada, yada...

Last edited by tvl4free; May 27, 2004 at 3:47 pm
Old May 27, 2004, 5:42 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Originally Posted by JS
Do I have to check all the other web sites before posting? Or should I say "found on Expedia.com", implying that it's not available anywhere else?

tvl4free addresses the overall issue well.

Regarding JS's point, I would suggest posting "found on expedia" to give others a starting point--- of course the fare may pop up in other spots, and good trip planners will check alt. options-- but as tvl4free mentioned, valuable time can be lost when looking for a start point that the poster can give in 10 seconds.
Old May 27, 2004, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by tvl4free
It just seems to me that more and more the best fares are not published fares anymore... but are found on a single, individual site. As a case in point, the DL fare mentioned above was originally only available via dl.com.
Actually it was a published fare that came across this morning. It takes time to load into various GDS's thus it was first available on DL.com.

As a note I will never post where I found something since I do not look for an itinerary but rather published fares. So if you use a little common sense, you will know where to find it...
Old May 27, 2004, 7:13 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Use Orbits Flex Search

Orbitz Flex Search "I want to travel weekends" in June, July ,August, Sept etc. Search one month at a time. Look for outbound Saturday/Return Sunday, or whatever your heart desires.

Last edited by ingy; May 27, 2004 at 7:25 pm Reason: delete unneeded info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.