Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question from a novice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:31 am
Original Poster

question from a novice

I've been reading the board and now want to take the plunge with my first mileage run. I finally earned platinum on AA this year, thanks to a Platinum Challenge, and then changed jobs to work for a company that only uses United.

I want to keep my AA status, at least for another year, so I need to do a couple of mileage runs before the end of 2003.

My questions is, "How do you guys find these incredible deals?" I can't seem to find them. Any suggestions where / how to find them? Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Sadly, I've never heard of Coram, NY.

What is your home airport?
Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:23 am

Coram is out on Long Island - would be closest to ISP, but within reach of the NYC airports.

Travelocity's Dream Maps is a great way to find low fares. Check each NYC airport separately.

AA has some decent trans-continental fares out of JFK now.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion - Coram is on Long Island and I generally fly out of LGA or JFK.

My question was more general though, I'm just wondering how to easily find these incredible flights, without spending hours hoping between aa.com, travelocity and expedia.

Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2003, 1:44 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tiger1tony:
how to easily find these incredible flights, without spending hours hoping between aa.com, travelocity and expedia.</font>
The great thing about FT is we divide up the work.

If everybody checked Travelocity Dream Maps once a day and posted unusually good deals that pop up, we'd check thousands of routes each day.

But yeah, check on Travelocity Dream Maps for a couple different fare levels and look for outliers. Once you identify the outlier/unusually good fare for the distance traveled, then you can do research on rules, availability, etc.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tiger1tony:
I'm just wondering how to easily find these incredible flights, without spending hours hoping between aa.com, travelocity and expedia.

</font>
That's everybody's dreams! Seriously, there is no other way around than try multiple routes from various NYC airports. Dream Maps from Travelocity is a great starting point. Sometime look into Dream Maps, not in Americas, but for European or Asian destination...If it was easy everybody would be Platinum or 1K...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.