Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to qualify for "fly three times" promotion on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,
AA has a promo, which can be found at:
http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent
The gist of it is: fly three qualifying r/t's and we'll give you a free continental US ticket. The catches:
Qualifying Travel Dates: To qualify for this offer, roundtrip travel must be completed between 6/5/03 and 9/30/03. Travel to any worldwide destination served by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection is eligible.

Qualifying Booking Classes: Offer is valid for travel on any purchased, published fare in First Class, Business Class or Economy Class. (Excludes fares beginning with E, G, O, S, T, U, W, Z)

Min/Max Stay Requirements: First Class roundtrip travel and Business Class roundtrip travel have no stay requirements. Economy Class roundtrip travel may not include a Saturday night stay. Requirements associated with minimum/maximum stay are based on the fare purchased, not the cabin flown.

So, flying out of TYS (Knoxville), what's the cheapest way I could reasonably expect to do this?
Thanks all,
Charlie
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Welcome to Flyertalk, ccorme!

I think you'll have the best luck getting help for your question in the Mileage Run forum -- so I'll move this over there.

Good luck!

Best,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:59 pm

It seems to me that the only people who are going to come out ahead on this promotion are the ones who are traveling on company business anyway and have their employer to pick up the tab.

Long story short: It requires buying three
expensive tickets in order to get one low-value, highly restricted ticket with a list of blackout dates a mile long.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
today my emplorer asked us to use the free flights we earn for work travel since work is the reason we are getting them anyway. out of 40 people, only 2 said ok.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 6:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
It may be difficult to get decent fares out of TYS (Knoxville). You could try to fly out of ATL when AA puts fares out of ATL on sale. That occurs when AA is "ticked off" with DL & puts flights out of ATL on sale usually w/o Saturday nite stays.

I know someone who lives in Knoxville & she flys out of Nashville (BNA) because it is alot less expensive.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:05 pm

check markets WN competes with american. Example LIT-STL $103 no weekend required N fare. Will probably go down to $70.00 next sale.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vatali:
today my emplorer asked us to use the free flights we earn for work travel since work is the reason we are getting them anyway.</font>
Wow, that's worse than the employers who claim title to their employees' frequent-flyer miles. In your case, not only are you being told to use the free flights for work, but to do it you'll have to engineer your work travel so it includes a Saturday-night stay! (If people asked to be compensated for the extra weekend days I bet the bosses' tune would change real fast as they saw the folly of their ways. Come to think of it, you don't even need to ask - the extra lodging costs alone will quickly negate the value of the free flights. Of course, if you're one of those few business travelers who stays over the weekend anyway, all this is moot.) And to top it off, you may need to extend your stay even further to avoid blackout dates, of which there are many. The nerve...
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jerry crump:
check markets WN competes with american.</font>
How about Florida? Thanks to Southwest et al., fares to this state are low and Saturday-night stay requirements have been all but thrown out the window. (A 7-day advance purchase is still quite helpful though.)

Also try BNA-MSY.

[This message has been edited by Factotum (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:39 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Go West! LAX-LAS has reasonable fully refundable Y fares with no Saturday night stay. Also, DL has been running promos for their ATL-LAX route which might be able to turn into a mileage run as well with multiple 45 minute hops to Las Vegas.

However, as others have stated, unless your company is footing the bill, flying 3 unrestricted tickets for one 14 day advance restricted ticket is not worth going out of your way for, especially if you have enough miles for a US award ticket without the nagging 14 day advance.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click at a time- www.thehungersite.com
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:53 am

ccorme, welcome to Flyertalk!

I'm glad you asked this question, because I'm interested in doing the same thing, if feasible, from my area. TPA-MIA used to be $88+ as late as last Friday, but no longer! Now it's $108+ for a 1-day min stay, no Sat stay required.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 2:37 am

Perhaps something like TPA-LAX (TPA-MIA-ORD-SJC/SFO-LAX) with two LAX-AUS round-trip nested (LAX-ORD-DFW-STL-AUS). Both are 1 day minimum stays.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited 06-10-2003).]
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vatali:
today my emplorer asked us to use the free flights we earn for work travel since work is the reason we are getting them anyway.</font>
'Oops Mr(s). Boss, I must'a forgotten to register for that promotion... Silly me... Next time, eh?'

--bc

live life creatively

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.