Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

For those of us in limbo with trip.com, what are we going to do???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2002, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,

How many out there are in the limbo situation where

you got the dreaded emails from trip.com or any other online booking agency but the reservations show as confirmed on BA. However, trip.com won't honor it and BA asks us to talk to the booking agent. Is there some strategy that anyone thinks we should try?

Show up at the airport??
Wait till Monday to see what BA will do??
Other thoughts??
Old Dec 1, 2002, 2:27 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Wait till Monday to see what BA is going to do. I phone trip.com today and they said that they will be getting an overide code from BA to process those tickets in limbo.

I plan to wait and see and phone back on Monday evening.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 8:47 pm

Sorry to divert, but I didn't want to start another trip.com / BA $20 thread.

I have a different problem that I haven't seen anyone else mention.

I booked two BA trips at the $20 rate at trip.com and actually received the paper ticket on Tuesday. Called BA and verified that I was good to go; they gave me the ticket numbers.

But my Amex. hasn't been charged yet. Today, I was looking at the fine print on the paper tickets I had and saw that the last four digits plus the month of the expiration date (but not the year) of the credit card on the ticket did not match my credit card number. Now, I'm 99% sure that I entered my Amex. right when I purchased the ticket at the trip.com site, and I promise on my honor that I didn't try to use someone else's credit card number. I don't have a credit card on file with trip.com and this was the first time I've ever used them. So I don't know what happened. I want to call trip.com and tell them that there's a different credit card number on the ticket and I want to pay for the ticket, but I'm afraid they're going to cancel my ticket. How should I correct this without having my ticket cancelled?
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:45 pm

I would first call American Express and see what they say. The ticket itself should be safe. Trip.com should be able to back out the charges and recharge your credit card but they may charge you a merchant fee for doing this.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
If your credit card number is incorrect, your ticket should not have been printed. But it did. Somehow you must have enetered a supplemetary card or an old card perhaps? if there is an approval code, then your card has already been approved. You are protected.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:41 am
Suspended

i was hoping there would be yet another thread on this subject.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 7:18 am

For those people out there who booked several back to back flights for the purpose of accruing miles, reaching silver/gold status, I would be very happy trip.com cancelled my bookings. As these flights will not earn miles/tier points (check the BA board for details "how do get Gold for 20$" thread), trip.com actualy saved them money by cancelling the reservations.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
i was hoping there would be yet another thread on this subject. </font>
FCTSTY,
Please try not to be such a smarta$$ all the time. One, this is an old thread; two, I didn't start a new thread out of courtesy to people (like yourself); and three, I had an actual real question that I was hoping to get helpful answers for. If you don't have any, please don't bother.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
If your credit card number is incorrect, your ticket should not have been printed. But it did. Somehow you must have enetered a supplemetary card or an old card perhaps? if there is an approval code, then your card has already been approved. You are protected.</font>

Guy Betsy and Tango,
Thanks. Called Amex; they said that there was an initial approval charge/request from Trip.com which generated an approval code but that the later charge did not go through -- I conferenced them in with trip.com and after about 30 minutes back and forth, trip.com conceded that it could have been a bug in their system; the right credit card shows in their system but not on my actual paper ticket, but in any event, neither had yet been charged. They said that they will charge the correct amex number now. Whew!

Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:58 am

One of my 4 tickets is in "limbo." I've decided that there's not much use in trying to get it honored. I'm just happy that I get to go to Europe 3 times for under $300 total.

For those of us who are in limbo on all of their tickets, it looks like you will be out of luck. The only real hope was this past Monday if BA issued Trip.com an override code. Since that did not happen, there isn't much else that can be done.

If you missed out on this, just pay attention to FT so that you can take advantage of the next deal.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:04 pm

Wow. Now that you mention it, the credit card dates on tickets I received via FedEx are also wrong.

The paper tickets that I booked with my AMEX are off by one. (2003 instead of 2004). Good catch!

I assume a call to trip.com will make this right. (no 3-way needed. )

What would have happened if I had just shown up at the airport with my paper tickets? What's your guess - could I have been turned away at the gate had you not caught this glitch? (Ie: Can a TA cancel out a paper ticket in a situation like this, possibly without notifying a passenger?)
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:14 pm

Actually, no!

I did call AMEX first, after all. It appears that despite having the incorrect year listed on my tickets, the tickets DID get charged to my AMEX account.

They have not shown up in my web view of the account, though.

Weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.