Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Bumped

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2002, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
..and the F lounge on the international side at SFO has Joseph Schmidt Truffles (much nicer than the Godiva chocolates they no longer have on the planes)
Old Jul 22, 2002, 4:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
There is an International F lounge (separate from the RCC) in SEA as well. I had the occasion to use it and the thing that impressed me most was the staff. Absolutely exceptional! They wouldn't even allow me to get my own drink. . .total service and class.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

United has International First Class lounges in pretty much every airport that has an International Flight originating from that city. SEA has the First Class Lounge and only has 1 flight a day (the 777 to NRT).

Ive been in the lounges in SEA, LAX, ORD and FRA and they are all nice, although probably not Swanky. It is my understanding that the NRT First Class lounge boarders on Swanky, although Ive not experienced that myself. The best part is the level of service, which goes way beyond anything you are use to in an airport.

What I found interesting about the USA Today article was the story about the people who got $500 vouchers and were upgraded from Coach to First, on an International flight, and all they had to do was hang out in the First Class lounge for three hours. That is quite a deal.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I guess I must have been in different International First Class lounges last year! Frankly, I didn't find the IAD lounge to be anything special. No Dom Perignon that I could find, and only a few greasy munchies (ok, a little better selection than the pretzels and dead apples in the RCC). Not exactly what I would consider "First Class." And the decor was exactly like a RCC, probably a few notches down than some of the ones I've been in.

As for FRA, pretty much the same. A small room with greasy munchies and upgraded drink selection. Decor, again, nothing special.

I think United would gain considerably by just kicking the decor of these lounges up a few notches. I certainly don't expect them to be serving meals, but maybe they could learn a few things from SQ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.