Reload this Page >

For the Primer: Reading Routing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the Primer: Reading Routing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2002, 9:16 am

My thanks, too, to all who contributed to this thread. What a 'lightbulb' you just powered!!

But anthonyanthony, "tangential"?? How many of us can toss a word like that out?

Oops! Credit for that display of english should go to rgoel, but not to diminish the fantastic work of anthonyanthony

[This message has been edited by papachuck (edited 04-27-2002).]
Old Apr 27, 2002, 10:20 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anthonyanthony:

Within each of the "VIA" and "TO" routes, you of course have to follow the usual rules of only traversing the cities (separated by dashes) in order; you cannot connect through any cities not listed, and you cannot connect through a city twice unless you see it twice. You can skip cities... And for those cities separated by slashes, you can only connect through your choice of one of those cities, or skip it altogether.
</font>
Hummmmmmm..........anthonyanthonyanthonyanthony,

So basically what you are telling us is that one could take the following routing:

80 FROM-TO TUS-UA-PHX/SAN/LAX-UA-ONT-UA-
LAX-UA-LAS*

Then 'newbee-ize' it (the PHX/SAN/LAX part) into:

1. TUS-PHX-ONT-LAX-LAS
or
2. TUS-SAN-ONT-LAX-LAS
or
3. TUS-LAX-ONT-LAX-LAS

and that all 3 of these routings would be acceptable.

Is that true?

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 04-27-2002).]
Old Apr 27, 2002, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It sounds like the different prices you are getting is because the two travel sites you are checking simply have different prices for the same route/fare class. It's the same thing as when you find that Expedia might have a better price than Travelocity, or United has a better price than Orbitz, etc.</font>
Both Expedia and ITA had the same fare code listed (QE7VIP), which only stands to confuse me more.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 7:43 am

Programs: OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:

So basically what you are telling us is that one could take the following routing:

LAX-UA-LAS*

1. TUS-PHX-ONT-LAX-LAS
or
2. TUS-SAN-ONT-LAX-LAS
or
3. TUS-LAX-ONT-LAX-LAS

and that all 3 of these routings would be acceptable.

Is that true?
</font>
Ah, a master of the mileage run has visited our little thread. Like I said folks, everything I learned about mileage runs, I learned from Flyertalk. And tvl4free has been one of my most prolific teachers.

I see my error...I should have omitted that sentence. You cannot traverse a city twice even if you see it twice. What was I smoking? Thanks for the correction.

So the answer is that 1 and 2 are valid, but 3 TUS-LAX-ONT-LAX-LAS is not valid. While 1 and 2 are valid routings, you actually cannot currently book such routings since United does not fly PHX-ONT or TUS-SAN non-stop.

Did I get it right?

[This message has been edited by anthonyanthony (edited 04-28-2002).]
Old Apr 28, 2002, 7:51 am

Programs: OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EverywhereHome:
Both Expedia and ITA had the same fare code listed (QE7VIP), which only stands to confuse me more.</font>
You might see the QE7VIP fare code on both Travelocity and Expedia, and the fare can be different, although the difference is usually very small.

Travelocity gets its fares from Sabre, and Expedia gets its fares from Worldspan. I don't know where ITA gets its fares from. But its not unusual that the same fare, QE7VIP for example, would have a different amount on the different systems.

Old Apr 28, 2002, 10:30 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anthonyanthony:
Did I get it right?</font>
BINGO!
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)
Ahhhhh, Master tvl4free. Once again you have educated the ignoble masses yearning to Mileage Run. I bow to your superior wisdom in this as in all things.

- Grasshopper

[This message has been edited by Grasshopper (edited 04-28-2002).]
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:30 am

Grasshopper, please be advised:

Small grasshoppers grow up into anthonyanthonys... and learn to rack up lots and lots of miles... and fly FirstClass4free!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 04-28-2002).]
Old Apr 28, 2002, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
LAX-UA-LAS*

1. TUS-PHX-ONT-LAX-LAS
or
2. TUS-SAN-ONT-LAX-LAS
or
3. TUS-LAX-ONT-LAX-LAS

and that all 3 of these routings would be acceptable.</font>
So, just to be clear, and I don't mean to belabor the point, you *can* hit multiple items in a / list, but you *can't* hit the same city twice, no matter how many times it appears in the listing. So, ignoring whether the flights actually exist, the route

TUS-PHX-LAX-ONT-LAS

is legal based on this routing?
Old May 3, 2002, 4:37 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
There are some great gems here. I hope that anthonyanthony doesn't mind, but I've adapted some of the posts for inclusion on my bulletin board:

Why would an airline list a city in their routing to which they don t have direct service?

What is the best way to book a mileage run?

Interpreting permissible routings - an example

Old May 3, 2002, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Further question on this....

Why do airlines post fares on routes they do not serve at all. Air France seem to do this quite a lot.. e.g. they post a lot of fares to DPS (Bali), but they don't serve Bali at all.. even with a codeshare I dont' think

e.g for a fare posted by AF for DUB-DPS you get

FLT APPLIC - NO RESTRICTION
ROUTING MPM MPM TRVL PERMITTED

But how would you book a fare like this if the airline doesnt' offer service ?
Old May 6, 2002, 12:46 pm

&lt;&lt;ROUTING MPM MPM TRVL PERMITTED&gt;&gt;

Probably a question that will make me slap my forehead with a loud "DUH", but what does MPM stand for?
Old May 6, 2002, 1:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RicoWrite:
&lt;&lt;ROUTING MPM MPM TRVL PERMITTED&gt;&gt;

Probably a question that will make me slap my forehead with a loud "DUH", but what does MPM stand for?
</font>
It stands for Maximum Permitted Mileage.
Old May 6, 2002, 5:58 pm

Travelocity website USED to be great for routing. You could type:
mia,lon,lax,apr4,apr8
and it would search for flights from miami to london via los angeles in above example. very concise routing requests, once you learned system. miss it, and wish I could find like it.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 2:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
re the Denpasar question:

You are taking me back 20 years to when I was a junior travel agent and these fares were not yet in my sphere of excellence and IATA fares were all we had.

So I can't give you the exact answer, but only a clue which may be picked up by veteran world travellers.

On round-the -world itineraries, using airlines that didn't have such fares, DPS was the most economical break-point. It was often fictitious as I recall because the pax didn't actually have to go there, but nevertheless was used on these itineraries. On handwritten tickets, we were required to circle DPS in the fare ladder. So before Bali was popular as a tourist destination, it was used quite extensively as a fare construction point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.