Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2002, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL: PM
Help - Mileage Run

From these possible departure cities (in order of preference):Smf;Ont;Lax;Msp, here comes the real challenge:
Which departure point would yield the best routing (mucho segments) on UA and $$/Segment or $$/miles ratio for these destinations in Feb 2002. These two runs are my headstart towards my goal of making 1K either through segments or miles.

#1. LHR

#2. DUS

Although, I phrased it as a challenge, I actually need help in maximizing these trips. All positive comments are welcome. I thank you guys in advance for your assistance. TV4, please help.

------------------
I fly therefore I am!
Old Feb 1, 2002, 3:00 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
The fundamental question is what the rest of your travel schedule looks like. If you do mostly short, domestic hops, you should focus on qualifying on segments. If you do longer journeys or significant international travel, you should qualify on miles.

Making this decision is important -- a SFO-SIN run racks up loads of miles but few segments. Similarly, a CA segment hop racks up 10 segments but only 5000 miles.

Armed with that info, someone here should be able to help you form your itinerary.

Old Feb 1, 2002, 3:29 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Hi guy, its been awhile... welcome back to FT!

I saw your other post... and was composing a reponse questioning exactly what was stated above.... should we go toward goal via miles or segments...? But my FT bud beat me to the punch with his post. Only you can ultimately decide... and it's an important decision.

From what I recall of your travel patterns last year, you sometimes make trips to Africa... and at least a couple of trips to Europe every year. If this is the case, I'm thinking that miles might be best for you.

You also might want to let us know what specific dates you are shooting for. Also, do you have any 15% UAL discount coupons?

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 02-02-2002).]
Old Feb 2, 2002, 11:19 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
Hi guy, its been awhile... welcome back to FT!</font>
Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">should we go toward goal via miles or segments...? From what I recall of your travel patterns last year, you sometimes make trips to Africa... and at least a couple of trips to Europe every year. If this is the case, I'm thinking that miles might be best for you.</font>
I agree with you, but with all the UA labor troubles, I was planning on segments as a back up. For example, I could fly about 6 segments (roundtrip) from SMF to ONT, from where I could maybe do another 6 segments (roundtrip) from ONT to LHR or DUS. Is this a workable plan??

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You also might want to let us know what specific dates you are shooting for. Also, do you have any 15% UAL discount coupons?]</font>
Very good suggestion indeed, and I apologize for not including the time frame. My current work assignment makes it difficult to make concrete plans ahead (I have about 7 days lead time). As it stands, I am thinking of going to LHR from 2/21 to 2/25 and DUS from 2/15 to 2/18.

I have about 3 15% discount coupons. I thank you for your prompt response and encouragement.

------------------
I fly therefore I am!
Old Feb 2, 2002, 12:42 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ewele:
I am thinking of going to LHR from 2/21 to 2/25 and DUS from 2/15 to 2/18. </font>
RU planning this a two separate trans atlantic trips?

Old Feb 2, 2002, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
RU planning this a two separate trans atlantic trips?

</font>
Yes, I am trying to go on two separate trips.

------------------
I fly therefore I am!
Old Feb 3, 2002, 10:24 am

I've got a newbie question here--I'm pretty new to frequent flying and don't have status yet. I'm a FF for American, Continental, and United, but I do almost all of my flying on United. I've been lurking for a while, thinking about doing a mileage run or two. The problem is that my local airport is ICT, and fares are generally not great. For those of you who don't live near a major city, is there any good way to start a run here? I'm primarily thinking of domestic runs to qualify on segments, but I would love to do an international one as soon as I have a passport and a few days' vacation. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 3, 2002, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Ewele: could you be more descriptive in your topic title? thank you.
Old Feb 3, 2002, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
Ewele: could you be more descriptive in your topic title? thank you.</font>
You could have been more helpful, if you had offered at least one suggestion.

------------------
I fly therefore I am!
Old Feb 6, 2002, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you folks for all your help and suggestions. I hope to get close to 20,000 status miles.

------------------
I fly therefore I am!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.