Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Making an international connection in Beijing. Do I need a visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making an international connection in Beijing. Do I need a visa?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2002, 3:16 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
This issue of having a visa to transit Beijing sounds quite strange to me. Speaking as a US citizen, I have never had difficulties on a transit in China. However, that being said, I generally have a valid Chinese visa in my pp, though I have not been asked whether I have one when all I am doing is transiting. As far as a transit visa goes, as I understand it, the purpose of such a visa is to permit ENTRY into a country, on the way to a third country, when longer than normal connection times are required. Usually such visas are valid for several days, up to perhaps a week or so.

The operation in Beijing nowadays is quite reasonable. Before they completed their renovations several years ago, it could be a mess at times, both logistically and legally. However, at present I strongly doubt that there will be problems in Beijing if all we are talking about is a simple connecting transit. If the concern is whether boarding will be allowed in Vienna for the flight to Beijing, at most all that is needed is a fax from the airline office in Vienna indicating that a Chinese visa would not be required. Again, I am speaking as a US citizen.

Finally, Chinese visas are one of the easiest visas to obtain, IME. Worst comes to worst, an 'L' visa (tourist) can usually be obtained same day at most Chinese embassies and consulates by paying the express fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.