Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$720 - LAX-BKK - AA Plat & 33,000 mi?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2001, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
I just called AA, yet again, and asked the fare basis for a $720 AA/Asiana code-share flight instead of my past question, does this flight qualify at 100% for the platinum challenge.

Last time, I don't think she knew what I meant and I got an affirmative answer. This time, I was told it was an M fare and, from these posts, it seems that would have only qualified me for 50% Q-points. So thanks for all the clarification you guys!

P.S. I asked, just for future knowing, what a Y fare looks like. She said for the flight I was looking at, it was over $2,000!

[This message has been edited by lisamcgu (edited 08-04-2001).]
Old Aug 4, 2001, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Between your BKK trip and your trip to Germany, you'd easily clear the challenge.

It's even possible to clear the challenge with just the LAX-BKK trip, if you can finagle the correct routing out of AA.

If you flew LAX-DFW-NRT-BKK return, that's 10,545 miles each way, which would put you over the top. LAX-ORD-NRT-BKK is 10,900 miles each way, which would also put you over the top. The bad news is that LAX/BKK on AA is a MPM fare, and the Pacifc Routing MPM (which is what you need for the cheap fares) is only 9,898.

If you're friends with an AA CTO agent, then you could probably book yourself on LAX-NRT-BKK using the JL code-shares, and have the CTO agent pop you over to connections in DFW or ORD, even though it exceeds the MPM.

As an alternative, if you want to earn Status on AA in a fun way, while you're in BKK, fly BKK-SDY return on BA or QF. The fare is under $1700 in Biz, and only around $2,000 in FC. It's 4676 miles each way, so one round trip in Biz or FC will complete the challenge. And you get to fly premium on a really nice airline...
Old Aug 4, 2001, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 2 Many Miles:
If you flew LAX-DFW-NRT-BKK return, that's 10,545 miles each way, which would put you over the top. LAX-ORD-NRT-BKK is 10,900 miles each way, which would also put you over the top. The bad news is that LAX/BKK on AA is a MPM fare, and the Pacifc Routing MPM (which is what you need for the cheap fares) is only 9,898.
</font>
LAX-PHX-SJC-NRT-BKK (for example) is over 5,000 Q points each way thanks to the 500 minimum per segment, and less than 9,898 flown miles. But, how do you do NRT-BKK on a qualifying flight?
Old Aug 4, 2001, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
JL operates a code-share NRT/BKK for AA. It's AA#7278 and AA#7279. They're available only as through-connection flights, not for travel originating in NRT. The flights are also seasonal.

You raise an excellent point about using short-hop segments to get the most q-point buck for every mile flown.

Flying LAX-PHX-SJC-NRT-BKK is 9032 pricing miles, and would yield 5015 q-points, which would get a completed challenge.

Even shorter (but with the same q-points) would be LAX-SAN-SJC, which is only 8567 pricing miles, and also yields 5015 q-points each way.

There might even be a better intermediate connection between LAX and SJC, I just can't think of one...
Old Aug 4, 2001, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ok, now you guys are scaring me.

Flying LAX-SAN-SJC-NRT when there's LAX-NRT direct is just scary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.