Search

first mileage run

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2001, 10:24 am
Original Poster

first mileage run

Greetings folks
Really appreciate this forum.
Our family has 3 free tickets that we are using to get to Pueto Rico this summer. One member is going to pay and we were thinking of making it into a mileage run. We are travelling from Vancouver Canada and would like to use continental, because so far it gives us the cheapest price. Since I am brand new to all of this any suggestions on routings, how to look this up etc etc.
you know, frequent flyer grade one info?
Thanks in advance for the time.
Is there a basic source for this info?
Is there a place where you can suggest us Canadians can look for mileage run information that starts in Canada?
Old Jun 7, 2001, 10:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Let me offer some suggestions.

First, you also may want to post a question in the airline forum that you are interested in if you haven't already done so.

Second, skim the posts in this forum for the past 60 days; also the posts in General Travel Talk. You'll discover quite a number of threads on how to find good fares/runs.

Third, check out the links mentioned in the first post of this link:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000027.html

Hope that's helpful.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 12:02 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Hi ddtw, welcome to Flyer Talk.

First, what kind of free tickets will 3 of you use?? CO frequent flyer tickets?? Bumped/denied boarding tickets?? This matters because mileage tickets can be used on CO partners like America West, Northwest, or Alaska, but bump tickets restrict travel on partners.

As far as the routing, travel via Phoneix, Vegas, Newark, Houston, Minneapolis, or Detroit will end up giving you close to the same number of miles, so look at whichever is more convenient as far as connecting time and/or schedules. CO may offer double miles for a certain new route, like maybe Vancouver to Newark, but I can't think of any other possibilities.

IMHO, if all 4 want to travel together, I would not make this trip into a mileage run because only 1 of the 4 is earning miles, if you are flying on frequent flyer tickets. The added delay of an extra connection for one person to earn an extra, say 1000 miles, is not worth trading an extra 4 hours for all 4 in Puerto Rico. So, I'd suggest focusing on finding the lowest fare for the paid ticket, choosing convenient schedules, and making the most of your trip to Puerto Rico. :-)

[This message has been edited by Viajero Joven (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old Jun 7, 2001, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

thanks to you both for your assistance
the rest of the family is stuck on north west, and yes they are on bumped tickets so we have to travel with them. going there and on return we have to overnight in minneapolis (got to learn those airport codes) so i thought the other person could use this time to make some miles up. make sense?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
Hi ddtw, welcome to Flyer Talk.

First, what kind of free tickets will 3 of you use?? CO frequent flyer tickets?? Bumped/denied boarding tickets?? This matters because mileage tickets can be used on CO partners like America West, Northwest, or Alaska, but bump tickets restrict travel on partners.

As far as the routing, travel via Phoneix, Vegas, Newark, Houston, Minneapolis, or Detroit will end up giving you close to the same number of miles, so look at whichever is more convenient as far as connecting time and/or schedules. CO may offer double miles for a certain new route, like maybe Vancouver to Newark, but I can't think of any other possibilities.

IMHO, if all 4 want to travel together, I would not make this trip into a mileage run because only 1 of the 4 is earning miles, if you are flying on frequent flyer tickets. The added delay of an extra connection for one person to earn an extra, say 1000 miles, is not worth trading an extra 4 hours for all 4 in Puerto Rico. So, I'd suggest focusing on finding the lowest fare for the paid ticket, choosing convenient schedules, and making the most of your trip to Puerto Rico. :-)

[This message has been edited by Viajero Joven (edited 06-07-2001).]
</font>
Old Jun 7, 2001, 2:47 pm

ddtw, I took a quick look at YVR--SJU and SEA--SJU fares, and even the lowest fares ($712RT on CO) look high......

Check out the Coupon Connection to see if someone has a Northwest Zone Coupon for travel to Puerto Rico-- that should bring down your price.

A tip: if you fly to/from Seattle, you can avoid the overnight in MSP. As much as I'd like to help my hometown's economy, you may want to save the time. Plus, you'd save on taxes for the paid ticket.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 3:13 pm

Not quite a mileage run either, but....

Different airlines have fares of around $296 RT Vancouver--Miami. From Miami, American is $280 RT to San Juan. This brings the total to around $576, about $130 less than the CO fare. You can fly Northwest Vancouver to Miami to earn NW miles.

---- or ----

Wait for another Southwest sale that brings Seattle--Ft. Lauderdale to $198 RT. Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan is $214 on TWA, and this fare should be around for a while. That will make the fare close to $410 plus tax-- domestic US tax only, no international tax. Plus the whole group can fly to/from Seattle and save the hotel night expense in Minneapolis. Not bad. Just a thought......
Old Jun 7, 2001, 11:46 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, ddtw!

This link will offer you additional ideas and insight:

Best place to monitor find cheap fares for mileage runs?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000618.html

Good luck and happy travels!
Old Jun 8, 2001, 8:51 am
Original Poster

what creative ideas, I will investigate these ideas and any others.
Thankyou Thankyou

[This message has been edited by ddtw (edited 06-08-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.