Wiki Posts
Search

DL: LAX-NRT-HKG 4.6cpm 675$ 14552 mi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:27 am
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Checking options from other airports to HKG I got to SAT-JFK-NRT-HKG r/t for 852.20 USD, 20346 mi, 4.2 cpm, on DL website, books on V. About 10 dates available in Sept and also a few in Oct for more $ but still <5 cpm.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone been able to get a one or more nights in NRT?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ExLurker
Has anyone been able to get a one or more nights in NRT?
The fare doesn't allow more than 24 hours.

Easiest way to get a long stopover is to arrive in HND at ~10:30p and depart NRT around 6:30p. This gives you 19 hours. I believe this is the longest stopover, and at least with HND you are already in the city.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I've done the HND/NRT layover and would only recommend it for someone who's been to Tokyo before and only has 1 or 2 specific places they'd like to check out.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I've done the HND/NRT layover and would only recommend it for someone who's been to Tokyo before and only has 1 or 2 specific places they'd like to check out.
If you're a seasoned traveler who can navigate public transit well I don't think this is a huge problem for a first time visitor. That being said, 2 places max is spot on if you want a decent amount of time at those places.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:03 pm

Sure, but even though I was a return visitor I was frustrated by having such limited time at a fascinating stopover.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I did the same thing 2 years ago on a great DTW-SIN fare. Agreed it is a fair amount of effort for only a taste of Tokyo, but I wouldn't discourage a Tokyo newbie from giving it a try. As long as they do their research and understand what they are getting into, and do a bit of planning.

To make it easy, you could get a direct limo bus to and from your hotel (obviously from HND and to NRT) and explore the area around your hotel by the day. But if you are adventurous the Tokyo train system is a destination in and of itself. And it is safe, clean, and people are plenty friendly if you need help.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
If you're a seasoned traveler who can navigate public transit well I don't think this is a huge problem for a first time visitor. That being said, 2 places max is spot on if you want a decent amount of time at those places.
I am doing this stopover (20 Hours). Do you have any recommendations?

I land in HND at 10:30PM and take off from NRT at 6:30PM the next day.

Other than finding good ramen for lunch and sushi for dinner, I am looking for a nice 24HR public bath house to sleep in for the night.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:32 pm

I would highly recommend having sushi at Kyotatsu at Narita. It's not exactly near the DL gates, but excellent quality and a great way to pass the time before your departure.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by WindingRoad
I am looking for a nice 24HR public bath house to sleep in for the night.
Three words: Green Plaza Shinjuku However, only recommended if you are traveling solo. And also - 5200 yen for women v 4500 yen for men. boo.

Last edited by samwise6222; Jul 10, 2014 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by WindingRoad
I am doing this stopover (20 Hours). Do you have any recommendations?

I land in HND at 10:30PM and take off from NRT at 6:30PM the next day.

Other than finding good ramen for lunch and sushi for dinner, I am looking for a nice 24HR public bath house to sleep in for the night.
I would hands down do the Shinjuku Kuyakushomae Capsule Hotel. It's easy to find, really clean, and has awesome baths! You can even get some shut eye!

http://capsuleinn.com/shinjuku/en/

I stay here every time I'm on a solo trip to Tokyo. It is male only, however.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by DoomPatrol
I would hands down do the Shinjuku Kuyakushomae Capsule Hotel. It's easy to find, really clean, and has awesome baths! You can even get some shut eye!

http://capsuleinn.com/shinjuku/en/

I stay here every time I'm on a solo trip to Tokyo. It is male only, however.
Ha! I stayed in the exact same place on my last HND-NRT overnighter. It's a good choice, obviously if one knows what they are getting into with this type of accommodation (capsule, public bath, male only).

This area is great for the layover as well because lots of places are open quite late, maybe even 24h here so you can explore on arrival if you feel the urge. I have not had a chance to try the shemale bar in the same building as this bath, but the sign makes a fun photo-op.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 11, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles
I booked one of these--my virgin mileage run! The layover in NRT is 1 hr 15 mins.--is that cutting it too close? I realize it depends on whether the flight from LAX arrives on time. Anyone know what the likelihoods are here?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Originally Posted by Lorenzoid
I booked one of these--my virgin mileage run! The layover in NRT is 1 hr 15 mins.--is that cutting it too close? I realize it depends on whether the flight from LAX arrives on time. Anyone know what the likelihoods are here?
I gather you are going NRT to HKG? It's all real close so connection time is enough. When are you going? You flying atl-lax-nrt-hkg?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by lking
I gather you are going NRT to HKG? It's all real close so connection time is enough. When are you going? You flying atl-lax-nrt-hkg?
The MR starts in LAX. It's actually LAX-NRT-HKG-HND-LAX. The connection I'm concerned with is NRT-HKG. I have been to NRT twice before, but sadly only to change planes--I've never had the opportunity to actually visit Tokyo. With the airport switch on the return leg, I've got something like 11 hrs to get out and eat some sushi or ramen.

I know the layout at NRT--I just wasn't confident that 1 hr 15 mins. is enough in this case. Needless to say, I will have no checked baggage. (Do I sound like a MR newbie or what!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.