Wiki Posts
Search

KL/DL: IAH-AMS-JNB $805 ai; 21,192., 3.8 cpm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SKYMILES Medallion, LH Senator AF KL AC
Originally Posted by bartmas777
Dates look to be pretty open. Books into R which is 100% on DL. I verified it on KL.com and DL.com. It does look like you would have to spend a few days there though. In my very brief search, the quickest turn I could find was 2 days.
example 4/24-4/27
Edited to add:
Just found an immediate turn. leave 5/4, return 5/5
A site show $ 449.00 excuse 438.50
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:07 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by IGOPLACES
Originally Posted by bartmas777
Dates look to be pretty open. Books into R which is 100% on DL. I verified it on KL.com and DL.com. It does look like you would have to spend a few days there though. In my very brief search, the quickest turn I could find was 2 days.
example 4/24-4/27
Edited to add:
Just found an immediate turn. leave 5/4, return 5/5

Which site and what dated
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I've done this on a same day turn before. Mad epic.
It would be worth it just to say you did it!!! You definitely have the 'streed cred' for this one!!!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by DLATL777
You couldn't PAY me to sit on a plane for 15 hours in Economy, let alone back-to-back. Even ATL-JNB in Business in Brutal. You are a better person than I!

Sorry, just got off of JNB-ATL yesterday, was riding in EC, and have no complaints. The bigger torture was ATL-PDX.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Best Western Diamond
Where was it sub $450?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Sorry, just got off of JNB-ATL yesterday, was riding in EC, and have no complaints. The bigger torture was ATL-PDX.
lol I am not sure why you are apologizing; I wasn't stating an opinion I was stating a fact.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I've done this on a same day turn before. Mad epic.
Gonna do this next month - but all the way down to Cape Town thru Jozi and turn around, cause I need to get to AMS - it is cheaper this way
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RYANFITZ
Where was it sub $450?
yes...where?!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by IGOPLACES
In you probably meant ?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:51 am

I just picked up a IAH <-> (the infinitely more tourist friendly) CPT for $823 all-in with, as far as I can tell, no stop or change of planes in JNB.

I have less than 24 hours to make my "risk free change"... so I'm trying to decide if I should stay in AMS overnight on the way out (because going East is much more brutal than going West) and if I did stop over in Europe, should I extend my CPT trip by one day or subtract one day from being on the ground in CPT (I'm currently set to be exploring around CPT for 3 full days not including arrival mid-evening & departure late-afternoon). Opinions and P.M.'s are welcome. Thanks everyone (and O.P.)! ^
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
I just picked up a IAH <-> (the infinitely more tourist friendly) CPT for $823 all-in with, as far as I can tell, no stop or change of planes in JNB.

I have less than 24 hours to make my "risk free change"... so I'm trying to decide if I should stay in AMS overnight on the way out (because going East is much more brutal than going West) and if I did stop over in Europe, should I extend my CPT trip by one day or subtract one day from being on the ground in CPT (I'm currently set to be exploring around CPT for 3 full days not including arrival mid-evening & departure late-afternoon). Opinions and P.M.'s are welcome. Thanks everyone (and O.P.)! ^
I'd leave the trip as-is. I did IAD-AMS-JNB-CPT last year with something like a 3-hour layover in AMS, and it wasn't that bad. 3 full days in CPT is good, and I wouldn't subtract a day.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
^
I searched for the fare on the OTAs and Delta without success but then found it on klm.com. Thank you for sharing as I had given up and was going to go to JNB instead. Much prefer to visit CPT and check it off my bucket list. Can't wait.

Last edited by tc fly girl; Apr 8, 2013 at 9:24 am Reason: Couldn't match fare but now have found it on klm.com
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Thanks OP. I got IAH-AMS-CPT JNB-AMS-IAH for $805 and flying next weekend. Also managed to get a free layover in AMS on the return (< 24 hrs layover). Better than any of the $1400+ fares out of DEN.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: delta
How do I schedule an extended layover (2 weeks) in AMS? Call in?
Old May 12, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Just got back - 21,408MQM | 3.6CPM

Thanks to the OP for the tip!

I went IAH-AMS-CPT-AMS-ATL. All KLM metal except for the last leg from AMS to ATL, which was Delta metal.

As a Delta DM, I was able to upgrade to Economy Comfort on all legs for no charge, although I had to wait to confirm the seats on the KLM legs until I was checking in for the flights at the airport (all done through the KLM lounges in IAH/AMS and the check-in agent in CPT). The fact that I couldn't confirm EC in advance of the flights was annoying, but two phone calls to KLM/Delta didn't resolve the issue, so I just tested my luck by waiting until I got to the airport, at which point it was hassle-free.

One note of warning - I had 2 hours for the turn in CPT, and it was pretty tight. By the time I cleared passport control, got my new ticket/seat and got to the gate, they were boarding Sky Priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.