Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA/CO/AC/DL - Very low trans-border fares (NYC/ORD/CLE - Cda) from ~$60-70ai each way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA/CO/AC/DL - Very low trans-border fares (NYC/ORD/CLE - Cda) from ~$60-70ai each way

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I was going to put this in the economy deals but thought it needed its own post as it isn't about just 1 fare (and some fares seem lower than the usual lows)

..first there's the typical weekend specials ord/cle - canada and vice versa from the low $200'sai round trip..now AC is usually nicer than the rest, allowing 1 ways and they have 50% off (also nothing unordinary) til feb 3.. so for example the next several days ord-yyz can be $60-70ai (a bit more the other way) - AA's in on this fare as well

.. then there's the super low nyc-yyz/yow/yul fares ($49-57++ each way) which look like a response (and nice welcome) to westjet launching lga service (as the fares run jun 4 - aug 29 - 21day ap)

now DL either forgot when the rest of the carriers are offering this fare, or maybe wanted a nice head start as jfk-yyz is availabe most days now-aug 29 (same 21day ap) for $70ai..I gotta think that's close to the low for this route (without any 50% promo code marketing anyway)

also, most of the routing rules allow 2-4 transfer's (I saw DL through atl/msp and a 2nd stop)..if you can somehow get 4 segments, that's also not bad @ $15-20/seg

maybe it's a match with greyhound/megabus..
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Cheapest DL JFK-YYZ or UA EWR-YYZ im seeing for the summer is $194 ai.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:27 pm

2 $70 one ways plus $50 canadian tax
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Cheapest DL JFK-YYZ or UA EWR-YYZ im seeing for the summer is $194 ai.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Right. But the OP said DL was offering $70ai on JFK-YYZ
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be good to get more clarification, but I don't even bother to look at published cross-border fares. For the shorter haul markets, it's 4500 BA miles each way on AA. And there's usually good availability. It would literally take "the sale of a lifetime" to be competitive with that.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:47 pm

$70 when you get miles and upgrade is better then 4500 avios
Originally Posted by iahphx
It would be good to get more clarification, but I don't even bother to look at published cross-border fares. For the shorter haul markets, it's 4500 BA miles each way on AA. And there's usually good availability. It would literally take "the sale of a lifetime" to be competitive with that.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ordua
$70 when you get miles and upgrade is better then 4500 avios
I'm pretty sure I can tough out coach for an hour on a regional jet than hope for an upgrade by overpaying?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Burn vs. Earn argument. Everyone has different motivations.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
I'm pretty sure I can tough out coach for an hour on a regional jet than hope for an upgrade by overpaying?
+100000000
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: * A
you are my hero of the day! now time to burn few more BA miles
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noirpepper
The new BA Avios 4500 mile short haul award is a great perk in the new program. I used it to book a flight to Halifax that was well over $500. And if you have AMEX MR points, they often offer transfer bonuses that gets the "real" mileage cost down even further.

But what are the actual fares in THIS deal? Are there roundtrips under $200?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Burn vs. Earn argument. Everyone has different motivations.
exactly...

the purpose of me posting these wasn't so much for a MR as it was for folks who either need to commute between these markets (sans avios) or leisure travel and bank a few eqm/rdm at the same time... also, not that I'm condoning or advocating this, but as I mentioned some of the fares allow more distant "connections" where fares can sometimes be higher

if you don't have avios, and need to drop some dojo either way, I really doubt it'll get much lower than it is... besides if you did credit to avios and have status you could bank a free trip for later and then some on top of some meager eqm/tp

~4-5 cpm aint great but these fares aren't like the domestic shorthauls where you can fly for ~$30
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by noirpepper
The new BA Avios 4500 mile short haul award is a great perk in the new program. I used it to book a flight to Halifax that was well over $500. And if you have AMEX MR points, they often offer transfer bonuses that gets the "real" mileage cost down even further.

But what are the actual fares in THIS deal? Are there roundtrips under $200?
Is BA still (improperly) charging the U.S. international arrival/departure tax -- ~ $16.00 each way -- on these no-fuel-surcharge redemptions? (The U.S. tax is not supposed to be charge on "free" tickets.)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Is anyone else mAAtching?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Is BA still (improperly) charging the U.S. international arrival/departure tax -- ~ $16.00 each way -- on these no-fuel-surcharge redemptions? (The U.S. tax is not supposed to be charge on "free" tickets.)
Really? I think I've almost always paid the US Intl arrival/departure tax on my award tix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.