I-80 Eastbound closed over Mississippi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite

Due to routine inspection finding crack in a floor beam, Eastbound traffic is closed and traffic is being re-routed via I-74/I-280. Initially, it was thought it would re-open by June 1st, now Iowa DOT not sure. If you are traveling thru area w/no need to stop, I recommend taking I-280 over the river instead of 74 as less congested and 74 has road projects on it.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by rustyr
Due to routine inspection finding crack in a floor beam, Eastbound traffic is closed and traffic is being re-routed via I-74/I-280. Initially, it was thought it would re-open by June 1st, now Iowa DOT not sure. If you are traveling thru area w/no need to stop, I recommend taking I-280 over the river instead of 74 as less congested and 74 has road projects on it.
That's gotta be one of the least painful detours imaginable, at least for through-travelers! The main downside would be for people connecting to I-88 eastbound from I-80 eastbound.
Old May 19, 2009, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
You can easily reach I-88 from the 280/74/80 intersection by heading North about 4 miles to exit and you're there. Granted, this is not a major disruption but just expect more traffic on the detour routes. Today's update in paper said it might be till end of yr till this gets fixed. Also the Westbound lane is down to one lane till a construction project on the Illinois approach gets finished in, I think, about a month. www.iowadot.gov should have updated info.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by rustyr
You can easily reach I-88 from the 280/74/80 intersection by heading North about 4 miles to exit and you're there.
I'm just saying that compared to I-80 through-travelers, who face virtually no extra mileage from this detour, the people connecting to I-88 east are getting the shaft. But no, it's not the end of the world.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:33 am
Original Poster

One Eastbound lane will open today according to news reports.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
One lane open in both directions now. Will not be fully open until 2010.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:50 am
Original Poster

YES but after further inspections the DOT has classified this bridge in a critcal repair condition. It will be open but again next summer they will close down the bridge one way to replace outer beams the whole length of the bridge that have cracks. This tentativily will run from April-June. As far as if it will be one lane open each way or none at all, that has yet to be worked out. The bridge was built back in 1966 and like many other bridges across the US, it's in need of major overhaul, what with the amount of interstate truck traffic that goes over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.