Search

Custom House Restaurant - Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:46 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Custom House Restaurant - Chicago

I've dined at Trio when chef Shawn McClain was the man and it was delicious, maybe not as cutting edge as his successor but still terrific. Chef McClain has been very busy and has opened a few restaurants since leaving Trio. He was also awarded the honor of being the James Beard 2006 Best Chef Midwest.

Custom House
500 S. Dearborn Street
Chicago
Phone 312.523.0200
http://www.customhouse.cc/

Here is a review of Custom House from Crain's: http://www.customhouse.cc/press_crains.html

--

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Nov 5, 2007 at 6:20 am
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: United
I've been to Custom House twice. It's quite good. I'm not sure if I like it as much as I like McClain's other two restaurants, Spring and Green Zebra, but I love those two places, so don't take this as any criticism of Custom House. It is quite good. The braised spare ribs (I believe) are excellent.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
My take on it from last night was:

1. More than a little precious. But our server was excellent, and made up for the corporate preciousness with a sense of humor.
2. They admit their portions are small right up front, but actually I thought the main course portion for the short rib was not bad.
3. The food tasted very good, but not to die for. My short rib had a little too much wine in the sauce for my preferences, but it obviously was prepared expertly.
4. Their booze selection is bizzare. No Crown Royal, for example. But they had a generous pour of Woolford Reserve for $13. Still, maybe I don't want to spend $17 including tax and tip for my pre-dinner drink.

Would I go back? Definitely for a business lunch, where portion size and booze are less important. For dinner, perhaps with a date, but probably not for a large group.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:08 pm

A follow up to ElmhurstNick's contribution:

Portion sizing: First courses are small. Three of us split the ahi tuna and the quail. I would use one per person as a guide. The ahi tuna was very good, the quail was okay.

Main course: I had the duck. It's something I really like but something I always order with a bit of fear. Fortunately they did a great job with it and it was almost too much food -- definitely no complaints about portion size here. For a side dish I had the pommes Anna, which was essentially a potato pancake with bacon cubes on top (and very good). Between that and the duck, I should probably start taking Lipitor.

Liquor: I had a few gin and tonics. They had North Shore No. 6, which I had never tried before (and actually had again the following night at a different restaurant). I didn't get a chance to look at the wine list, so nothing to contribute there.

I came away pleased. It was pleasant inside (not too loud, tables not shoved next to each other), most everything I tried would have scored at least 8/10, and the service was excellent. With starter/main/side/dessert and tax/tip but no alcohol, expect to spend ~$75 per person.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
1. More than a little precious. But our server was excellent, and made up for the corporate preciousness with a sense of humor.
LOL. I live right around the corner and walk the dog past the Custom House every morning. When I peer in the window every bar stool is lined up to face exactly the same direction - in a perfect row. Precious? or anal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.