Search

Connect @ ORD (AA to United)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:23 pm
2yd
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver; SPG Gold; AMX Bus Plat.; NWA BizPerks
Connect @ ORD (AA to United)

Have connecting flight from AA (terminal 3)to United (terminal 1)with about an hour between arrival/departure times at ORD. I have never been through ORD should I be okay?

All the Best
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by 2yd
Have connecting flight from AA (terminal 3)to United (terminal 1)with about an hour between arrival/departure times at ORD. I have never been through ORD should I be okay?

All the Best
Assuming everything goes well (a big leap of faith at ORD), you can do AA to UA easily. Note that if your connecting gate is in Concourse C, there is a shuttle bus that runs from E2 (at the beginning of Terminal 2, just past the Air Canada gates) to the C concourse.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 2yd

All the Best
This would probably get more action in the Chicago forum and the moderator will probably move it there, but I'll take a stab at an answer.

You're cutting it really close here.

Step one - get your UA BP as early as possible. You say you're "connecting" but given that AA/UA don't usually connect I'll assume you're on two tix. If so, use UA online checkin so you have a BP already. There is a link from the UAL.com homepage. Check in online even if you don't have a printer - UA can reprint your BP at the gate - just tell them your printer was broken! Do note that if you are on 2 tix you won't be protected if AA is late.

Step two - you will arrive at T3, which can mean either a two minute walk to the front or 10 minutes plus if you're at a far gate. When you get to the front of the AA concourse you'll see several options on signs - follow the signs to T1, which if you follow them carefully will mean you won't have to go out of and back through security. (I'm 99 percent sure this is the case). Optionally, you can go out through security and take the train to T1, but this will take longer than walking. Also, if you don't have a printed UA boarding pass you'll need to take the time to get one - a checkin machine will be the fastest - before you can get back in through security. Another reason not to take the train but to stay inside the secured zone by walking.

Step three - at your first chance, which will be in T2, double check that your flight is leaving from T1 (many United Express flights leave from T2). A good way to figure out your likely terminal is to go online the day before to see what terminal your flight left from that day - gates change but terminals usually stay the same from day to day.

Step four - assuming T1 - continue to follow the signs there.

Step five - either stay in Concouse B, which is the front of T1 or follow the signs to Concource C, which is through a tunnel. B is arranged with the lower numbers closest to the connection with T2 and the higher numbers the furthest away. The tunnel leaves from around B9 and dumps you off in the middle of the C concourse, at about gate, hmmm, C19?

Time needed? (These assume you're a normal speed walker)

To get to the front of T3 - 2 minutes to 10 minutes

T3 to T2 - 5 minutes

If you're leaving from T2 - time to gate 5 minutes to 10 minutes

T2 to T1 - 5 minutes

Inside T1 - 5-15 minutes to "B" gate or 10 -20 minutes to "C" gate

Total time - minimim (Close T3 gate to close T2 gate) - 12 minutes
Total time - maximum (Far T3 gate to Far T1C gate) - 40 minutes

Also, do note that UA has an official arrival minimum of 30 minutes. If you already have a boarding pass they will probably let you onboard right up until they close the doors - again, this might very well happen 10 minutes before your flight.

These are my best guesses.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Originally Posted by 2yd

All the Best
I would do some upfront flight status searches on-line on your flights to look and see what gates your flights typically fly out of (ie. especially if they are regional or express jets).
Then, use the advice given by the previous poster.

In the best of worlds, no weather and no other ATC delays, you are safe - but it is O'Hare.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
milepig is right! Our Travel-> Chicago forum has regulars who can also add to the great advice here so I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Mod TBuzz
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:41 am
glg

Just a few things to add to what milepig already said.

The main thing is that the connection can be made airside, so do not exit to landside. There are some signs that will tell you to leave security to get to terminal 1. Ignore them. When you get to the front of T3, take a left. When you get toward the end of the terminal, you'll see the G concourse (unless you came in Eagle, in which case you'd already be at G), the hallway will go right into T2. In T2, you should be able to find a set of United monitors. If your gate is E or F, you're already there. If it's B or C, keep walking, you'll bend right again and then get to T1.

The signage is generally pretty good, with the exception of the recommendation to leave security and take the train between T3 and T1, which just doesn't make sense.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:49 am

Programs: American EXP, Hilton Diamond
http://www.flychicago.com/Concession...minalRev2.shtm

map of ORD...you can see the fork in the road to either G or T2 pretty easily

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.