Wiki Posts
Search

New CTA Pink Line

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
New CTA Pink Line

I rode the new pink line to Polk for the first time yesterdayto go to Rush. Unlike the blue line, the pink line is all elevated. I took the Brown Line to Clark/Lake and then just hopped on the next pink train rather than going down to the subway. I always found the split on the blue line confusing. Now the pink line goes where the 54th/Cermak blue line used to go.

Steve
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I like the new Pink line. I live in the West Loop near the Clinton stop. Because the Pink line is on the Green line tracks from Ashland east, it effectively doubles the service from my stop into and out of the Loop. Therefore, what could have been a 10 minute wait for a train previously, should theoretically now be a maximum of 5. Furthermore, since it goes all the way around the Loop in a clockwise direction (the Green goes halfway around the Loop), it is much easier to get home from any downtown stop. Finally, the CTA has done something right! ^
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I like the new Pink line. I live in the West Loop near the Clinton stop. Because the Pink line is on the Green line tracks from Ashland east, it effectively doubles the service from my stop into and out of the Loop. Therefore, what could have been a 10 minute wait for a train previously, should theoretically now be a maximum of 5. Furthermore, since it goes all the way around the Loop in a clockwise direction (the Green goes halfway around the Loop), it is much easier to get home from any downtown stop. Finally, the CTA has done something right! ^
I'm curious how utilized the pink line is at rush hour. I notice the four car trains are running pretty frequently but they don't seem that full, at least from my vantage point on the other side of the tracks waiting for the brown line.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by bdesmond
I'm curious how utilized the pink line is at rush hour. I notice the four car trains are running pretty frequently but they don't seem that full, at least from my vantage point on the other side of the tracks waiting for the brown line.
I'm not sure either. It supposedly is an "experiment" in CTA's effort to improve service. It began with a fair amount of confusion - just one week ago - but I noticed that all the cars have updated signage and maps, the recorded messages in the trains have been updated and all the stations have maps, schedules and signs. It is the first and only train that goes north along Wells St. and turns to the left from the Loop at Lake. I hope it is successful as it provides more alternatives for travel.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The Pink Line is part of a broader plan for a circumferential train that would also use the Paulina connector between the Blue and Green lines. IIRC, that would be called the Silver Line.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:57 am

Programs: AGR WOH
The 54/Cermak branch never saw very high rush hour loads to begin with, but has pretty steady loads all day -- many residents along it are not 9-to-5ers. The Pink Line does give CTA the flexibility to run frequent four-car trains on that branch, though, instead of infrequent eight-car trains (full from O'Hare to Loop, then empty).

Think of it as a Regional Jet service.

It also opens up some interesting routings around the Loop. For instance, Schurr could make a very quick trip by taking Brown to Washington/Wells (its first Loop stop), then crossing over and taking Pink (its last Loop stop). On the way back, Clark/Lake is both the first Loop stop for Pink and the last for Brown. No loops of the Loop necessary!
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
I also live by the Clinton stop, and we too had the same reaction -- except that we were also wondering if this will help our condo value.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by CheapSk8
I also live by the Clinton stop, and we too had the same reaction -- except that we were also wondering if this will help our condo value.
However, these last couple of days with the cooler weather and the door to the balcony open, I realize it is also twice as much noise!
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
However, these last couple of days with the cooler weather and the door to the balcony open, I realize it is also twice as much noise!
To quote Jake and Elroy:

"How often does the train go by?"

"So often you won't even notice it."

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.