Wiki Posts
Search

Al Franken in town this Sat night - Jan 28, 2006

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Blind faith to one's leaders can be a dangerous thing.
For the next three years, that's what patriotism is!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Is it?

I've always considered open, honest, and rational dissent and debate to be one of the highest form of patriotism - that's what started this country, after all. Blind faith to one's leaders can be a dangerous thing.

One can be a patriot and still disagree with the rationale behind those leading us. Or do you think that one must march lock-step with the administration, despite policies that one doesn't agree with?
It is a matter of perspective. The literal definition of patriotism defined by Webster's Dictionary is:

Main Entry: pa·tri·ot
Pronunciation: 'pA-trE-&t, -"ät, chiefly British 'pa-trE-&t

: one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests

So in my opinion that term is subjective. Because you want to be a patriot but not support the current authority. Seems like a conflict. I never suggest that you follow the Govt. Govt is something that should be reduced and minimized in our daily lives. We get too much "help" from them as it is.

Anyway, Franken now seems to be setting up to run for Senate in MN. Seems he quietly moved to MN and now broadcasts his show from there. Its probably just a matter of time until his announcement for a run at Senator from MN. So add political hack to his unfunny routine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.