Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K(BIS), Marriott-Platinum Premier, Hertz-PC, Fairmont-PC
Question ?? Best Steak in Chicago ??

I am in Chicago this week and am looking for the BEST STEAK IN CHICAGO
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:08 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just dined at Drake Brothers in the Drake Hotel, had a dry aged strip (the only dry aged steak they serve.) Was very good.

I’m not a fan of Gibson’s (wet aged beef). Mortons recently was good but wet aged beef as well, same with most Chicago Steakhouses (actually most steakhouses anywhere)

Smith & Wollensky’s beef is all dry aged on premise at the restaurant. Makes a big difference in my opinion. Great location as well. ^ ^
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Wow. This is really tough, as I think you're going to find the competitors at the top to be very, very comparable.

I think one of the best is Keefer's, at the corner of Kinzie and Dearborn. A little bit of a contemporary atmosphere, and excellent steaks with some nice au poive and bernaise options.

If you're more into the clubby style, with a very nice cigar bar upstairs, go around the corner to Sullivan's instead, at Dearborn and Hubbard.

A great Chicago standard is also Gene & Georgetti's at Franklin and Illinois, though I haven't been there in a long time.

I really enjoyed the food at Smith and Wollensky when I went there with 4 colleagues a couple years ago. We made it very clear that we were there for a night of big eating and drinking, and didn't want to be rushed. We specifically didn't want to order our main courses at the outset. We were convinced by the waiter to give him our orders at the get-go, though, promising not to put them in until we were done with our appetizers. He LIED. We rang up a huge bill with the alcohol included, and they rushed us out of there anyway. As a group, we've probably spent or suggested that business contacts spend, upwards of $20k on dining since then. Not a dollar of it went to S&W.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dennis.Dunbar@mckesson
Smith & Wollensky has some fantastic steaks. Although many people find it to be touristy, I also really enjoyed my experience at Chicago Chop House. It is a pretty cool building too.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:55 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
I think one of the best is Keefer's, at the corner of Kinzie and Dearborn.
FWIW, Keefer's is also wet aged beef.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:58 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
If you want something very good and native to Chicago you should try Gibson's.

They have the best Rib Eye.

I tried the NY Strip at the Chicago Chop House. I would give it a big miss. Its chewey and they dont cook to the proper temperatures. So rare is medium rare and medium rare is rare etc etc.

Smith & Wollensky’s is a chain. You dont have to come to Chicago to get it.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Another Gibson's fan here.

I've also enjoyed recent dinners at Mortons and Sullivans, though you can get both outside Chicago.

If you're into prime rib, you might also try Lawry's (though you can also get it outside Chicago, too)
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:20 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
GO to MAGNUM'S

Originally Posted by Dennis.Dunbar@mckesson
Magnum's, absolutely the best I've had. Close runner up: Chicago Prime Steakhouse in Schaumburg.

Magnum's is downtown, Rolling Meadows (NW suburbs) and Lombard (SW Suburbs)
Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K(BIS), Marriott-Platinum Premier, Hertz-PC, Fairmont-PC
Originally Posted by tfong007
If you want something very good and native to Chicago you should try Gibson's.

They have the best Rib Eye.

I tried the NY Strip at the Chicago Chop House. I would give it a big miss. Its chewey and they dont cook to the proper temperatures. So rare is medium rare and medium rare is rare etc etc.

Smith & Wollensky’s is a chain. You dont have to come to Chicago to get it.

Sounds like Gibson's wins here..... If I have time I will also try Smith & Wollensky's

Thanks Everyone,
Dennis
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:20 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Gibson's is great. There is also a location in Rosemont if you are near the airport; I personally haven't tried that location, though.

What do people think about Ruth's Chris Steakhouse? I've only been to the Honolulu location, but I remember that it was good. A buddy of mine says he prefers Ruth's Chris to Gibson's.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:14 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Gibson's is great. There is also a location in Rosemont if you are near the airport; I personally haven't tried that location, though.

What do people think about Ruth's Chris Steakhouse? I've only been to the Honolulu location, but I remember that it was good. A buddy of mine says he prefers Ruth's Chris to Gibson's.

Gibson's - Rosemont is okay.. I hear the Gibson's downtown is even better...

But I prefer Fogo De Chao in downtown... or the Chicago Chop House..

I'll be in Chicago this weekend
Old Aug 23, 2005, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead

I must say I had a VERY good steak in Ruth's Chris (431 N Dearborn) on one of my visits this year ... thanks for reminding me !
Old Aug 23, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I love Morton's of Chicago.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by cawhite60156
If you're into prime rib, you might also try Lawry's (though you can also get it outside Chicago, too)
Lawry's has been closed a couple of times in recent weeks due to problems with their ventilation system and carbon monoxide not being properly vented. I'm think it's open again, but I might pass on it this week.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
I'm really not sure why you're all so anxious to plug chain steakhouses that you can visit all over the country when you've got independent gems in Chicago that you can only enjoy while you're there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.