Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Burgers in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
... and they also take your mobile number so they can send you a text when they have a table ready and you can go elsewhere beforehand ...
That is very nice!
Old May 22, 2013, 8:15 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BCH
Try MILT'S BARBECUE FOR THE PERPLEXED in Lakeview. The place is brand new, swanky, always busy, and Kosher. And everyone appears to have great reviews.
I did, I've now been 3 times to try 3 different items:

brisket (now only chopped, sliced is not available), very mediocre, not worth it.

burger - good, if in area I might stop by and have one again

chicken - this I really liked, especially with the chili kissed Kansas City sauce (I did not like their Carolina mustard or Memphis sauce).

To me there are far better burgers to be had, let alone BBQ in Chicago.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Au Cheval

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Ate at Au Cheval last night - I had the double cheeseburger (actually three burgers) and my wife the standard (two burgers) and it was excellent.

Was a bit of a wait, we ended up waiting for an hour, although we sat at the bar and had a drink, and they also take your mobile number so they can send you a text when they have a table ready and you can go elsewhere beforehand.

Very highly recommended
Here's another vote for Au Cheval's burger--and Au Cheval in general.

Also, if you are near Hancock and want a traditional thick burger, Saloon Steakhouse's burger is pretty good. (and the burgers are half price on Saturday afternoons)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
How about Hugo's or RL?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Yesterday, I had my weekly $3 half-pound burger at the Beer Bistro. One of the waitresses (Jesse) several weeks ago suggested what I now call the Jesse Burger - with Swiss cheese, avocado slices and chipotle mayo. Very, very good.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I had Venison burger at The Gage last week. Pretty damn good! Meat was juicy and portions were good (not enormous but it filled a 200lb+ guy).

Little bit on the $$$ side for a lunch burger.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Yesterday, I had my weekly $3 half-pound burger at the Beer Bistro. One of the waitresses (Jesse) several weeks ago suggested what I now call the Jesse Burger - with Swiss cheese, avocado slices and chipotle mayo. Very, very good.
Time for another BB burger DO!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Today (it's been a fattening week) I stopped at Big Jones for their Pimiento Cheeseburger - in Time Out's top five. The toppings were great - housemade pimiento cheese and grilled onions. The meat wasn't special, just OK. A great burger has to have juicy, tasty ground beef. It didn't. It's supposedly southern cooking, so the sides were a choice of greens, mashed potatoes, a very small side salad and one other (I forget). Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a really good burger should come with fries - not mashed potatoes. And, at $13, it's no bargain.

The fried chicken is supposed to be good. I'd go back and try that with the mashed potatoes and gravy. It's a very attractive place.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:23 pm

just OK.
Thanks for taking one for the team. I have heard the chicken is quite good at Big Jones & they supposedly do a killer brunch.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Here's another vote for Au Cheval's burger--and Au Cheval in general.

Also, if you are near Hancock and want a traditional thick burger, Saloon Steakhouse's burger is pretty good. (and the burgers are half price on Saturday afternoons)
How long was the wait? I really want to try this place and Girl and The Goat but no reservations scene on weekends means a 2hr wait.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:22 pm

Last night, Mrs Willie & I had tickets to see the play Tribes at Steppenwolf Theatre.

Seeing as we were pressed for time for our dinner, we went to the nearby Urban Burger Bar.

We both had the Tallgrass, a grass fed beef burger, I'm guessing about 5-6oz patty. One can then choose quite a wide variety of toppings.

The burgers at UBB had the big beefy flavor I've been looking for and the burgers were cooked perfectly to a medium rare (our requested doneness)

Truffle fries as my side were very good but very rich tasting so a little went a long way. Mrs Willie's side of sweet potato tater tots were terrific.

excellent beer selections

Urban Burger Bar
Phone: 312.255.0055
1578 N. CLYBOURN
(Just south of North Ave
on Clybourn in
Lincoln Park)
Chicago, IL
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:43 pm

Today (it's been a fattening week) I stopped at Big Jones for their Pimiento Cheeseburger - in Time Out's top five. The toppings were great - housemade pimiento cheese and grilled onions. The meat wasn't special, just OK. A great burger has to have juicy, tasty ground beef. It didn't. It's supposedly southern cooking, so the sides were a choice of greens, mashed potatoes, a very small side salad and one other (I forget). Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a really good burger should come with fries - not mashed potatoes. And, at $13, it's no bargain.

The fried chicken is supposed to be good. I'd go back and try that with the mashed potatoes and gravy. It's a very attractive place.
The fried chicken is fantastic, but that's the only way I'll go to Big Jones again. I've tried to force myself to love it as I long for home sometimes but I just don't. Chicago, in general, does not do southern food well.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
The current edition of TIMEOUT CHICAGO (3/21-4/3, 2013) is dedicated to burgers.

Gives the #1 to Acadia, 1639 South Wabash. Time for a DO?

Runners-up:

Trenchermen
Big Jones
Owen & Engine
Edzo's
Trenchermen has $10 Burgers and Beer in the bar on Wednesday, and what I had last week was hands down the best burger I've ever had. Not only in Chicago, but in the world. Fantastic. For $10 you get some sort of spiced popcorn, burger of the day, chips, and whatever beer they're featuring that month.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:52 pm

I bet it has been said before I finally went to Au Cheval last month.

Best. Burger. Ever.

No frills, no ketchep, no "everything on it". Just the real thing and it is amazing!

PS - Fries are really good too. Served with aioli rather than ketchup.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes!

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I bet it has been said before I finally went to Au Cheval last month.

Best. Burger. Ever.

No frills, no ketchep, no "everything on it". Just the real thing and it is amazing!

PS - Fries are really good too. Served with aioli rather than ketchup.
Agreed....and, silly as it sounds, I love their handcut ice cubes in their cocktails...you finish the drink and it has barely melted...

Forget the fried bologna sandwich (over-rated IMHO)--go for the burger!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.