Search

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2004, 1:02 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Hum along to some of the big screen's finest scores as part of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's ongoing FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES series. This salute to The Golden Age of Film Music will be conducted by Richard Kaufman, featuring songs from Lawrence of Arabia, North by Northwest (right), Spartacus, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz. Film photos will be projected above the stage as the band plays on. Ticket prices range from $19 to $45. Nov. 19, 2004
8:00 p.m. 220 S. Michigan Ave., 312-294-3000,
http://www.cso.org
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Gosh, I'm SHOCKED SHOCKED that Maestro Barenboim isn't leading this performance

Still, it will be a treat to hear that virtuoso orchestrsa in this light music.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Gosh, I'm SHOCKED SHOCKED that Maestro Barenboim isn't leading this performance

He does have other responsibilities:

http://www.staatsoper-berlin.de/en/fs_f3.htm

Such as this one this past week:

http://culturebase.de/terminausgaben...&id_language=2

Very off topic:

I went to see Aida at the Lyric Opera last night. It was an outstanding performance. Olga Borodina's voice was powerful and moving. Salvatore Licitra's voice resembles some of the warmth of Pavarotti.

The staging was very impressive, far more say that the Lyric's austere and non-descript production of Don Giovanni last month (the staging was so generic, it could have been for Carmen).
Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:00 pm

While these "film" concerts appear to be an audience favorite and a money maker for the orchestra, from what my insiders tell me, they were a big sticking point in recent contract negotiations -- many of the musicians felt it was "beneath their musical skills" to play this music. I guess your taste remains all in your ........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.