Search

The Glen------Glenview

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
The Glen------Glenview

http://www.glenview.il.us/glen/abouttheglen/default.asp

Stopped by there Sunday evening and heard that Scotty stopped by there also last weekend. This is the site of the "new" downtown located where the old Glenview Naval Airbase used to stand. There are about 40 stores slated to open but there are only about 10 or so open now. There are a couple of restaurants/bars open now. A 10 theatre Crown movie hall and tons and tons of parking. There was alot of opening weekend festivities going on as they shut off the the main road to automotive traffic.

My take on this:

Someone spent alot of money to build this place and only time will tell if it ever becomes profitable. The homes in this area have already spiked up considerably but this venture is a whole different cup o pudding. Worth a visit. They might have some decent eateries in here eventually.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

After 5 years and many stores that have gone in and out of here, the jury is still out. Restaurants seem to do OK but retail shops can't stay afloat for very long it seems. Parking kinda sucks especially for lazy people like me that don't want to walk very much.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Agree, I do like the new Salerno's pizza, just wish that they had more seating.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: AGR WOH
I wonder who did their market research. I understand their desire to reuse some of the base buildings, but I would've placed the retail along the busy roads at the edge of the property, not buried in the middle -- and the rehabbed buildings aren't being used to their full potential. (Might have been interesting to reuse the control tower as part of the rec center instead of building a whole-new one downhill.)

At 450,000 sq ft, half the size of a regional mall and twice the size of a usual strip mall, Glen Town Center isn't really big enough to be a regional draw but it's too big to fill with just restaurants.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:16 am

The complex isn't really all that well thought-out, I agree. However, the history doesn't allow for any relocation, plus I think they wanted the central location between Willow and Lake Streets, but that's just speculation.

I would highly recommend a few joints in there -- Wildfire and a great buffalo meat place called Ted's. If anyone else is looking for reviews, I've been to a good number of them and would be happy to offer opinions
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Agreed, it is a little too comercial for my tastes. I do however like the lake area and nature center.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:22 pm

We have also enjoyed some of the restaurants including the ever popular Yardhouse. Though truth be told, I still like Hackney's much better.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:09 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by korea71
They might have some decent eateries in here eventually.
this quote still applies years after it was made.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mktozd
We have also enjoyed some of the restaurants including the ever popular Yardhouse. Though truth be told, I still like Hackney's much better.
Ahhh..... you are making me hungry for an onion loaf
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:40 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Ahhh..... you are making me hungry for an onion loaf
oh man, LOVE the onion loaves at Hackney's^ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...icagoland.html

Now that it has been warm out, shame we haven't had any FT'er Hackney's on Harms patio Do's@:-)@:-)
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
oh man, LOVE the onion loaves at Hackney's^ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...icagoland.html

Now that it has been warm out, shame we haven't had any FT'er Hackney's on Harms patio Do's@:-)@:-)
Love Hackney's patios on Harms and on Lake. While I know that purists perfer the Harms patio and it is indeed unique, I also like the one on lake particularly early evening over a few beers. For the location on Harms, I rather like the bar area that is an iconic throwback to the 1950s on the northshore. While we live in the loop now, we try to get out that way when we can to hit Hackneys. Strangely, we have not been to the one on printers row.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:03 am
glg

Originally Posted by mktozd
Love Hackney's patios on Harms and on Lake. While I know that purists perfer the Harms patio and it is indeed unique, I also like the one on lake particularly early evening over a few beers. For the location on Harms, I rather like the bar area that is an iconic throwback to the 1950s on the northshore. While we live in the loop now, we try to get out that way when we can to hit Hackneys. Strangely, we have not been to the one on printers row.
Printer's Row has a few more things on the menu that seem odd (some mexican stuff?!?), but the burgers are the same. One plus is they serve a spicy sauce with the onions that they don't at the glenview locations that is quite tasty.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by glg
Printer's Row has a few more things on the menu that seem odd (some mexican stuff?!?), but the burgers are the same. One plus is they serve a spicy sauce with the onions that they don't at the glenview locations that is quite tasty.
I also like Hackney's sunday breakfast, though they have not done the fresh donuts as of late.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Revisiting this thread in 2023, let's see what has changed. The only space that has been there since the beginning seems tobe Von Maurs. I may be wrong. There is a theatre there now. As it has decent traffic now, parking has been a pain even though there is a parking garage of the main street. I still like the lake and the parks there. Stores and restaurants still go in and out of there. The area does feel more established now.
gaobest likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
The nicer Wildfire restaurant is very nice - I ate there in august. Korea71 mentioned that it’s a steakhouse and alas I got fried chicken that night. Definitely excellent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.