The Glen------Glenview

Old Oct 21, 03, 1:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ORD grounded till further notice
Posts: 2,599
The Glen------Glenview

http://www.glenview.il.us/glen/abouttheglen/default.asp

Stopped by there Sunday evening and heard that Scotty stopped by there also last weekend. This is the site of the "new" downtown located where the old Glenview Naval Airbase used to stand. There are about 40 stores slated to open but there are only about 10 or so open now. There are a couple of restaurants/bars open now. A 10 theatre Crown movie hall and tons and tons of parking. There was alot of opening weekend festivities going on as they shut off the the main road to automotive traffic.

My take on this:

Someone spent alot of money to build this place and only time will tell if it ever becomes profitable. The homes in this area have already spiked up considerably but this venture is a whole different cup o pudding. Worth a visit. They might have some decent eateries in here eventually.
korea71 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 08, 3:03 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ORD grounded till further notice
Posts: 2,599
After 5 years and many stores that have gone in and out of here, the jury is still out. Restaurants seem to do OK but retail shops can't stay afloat for very long it seems. Parking kinda sucks especially for lazy people like me that don't want to walk very much.
korea71 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 08, 3:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: American EXP & 3MM
Posts: 2,336
Agree, I do like the new Salerno's pizza, just wish that they had more seating.
mktozd is offline  
Old Nov 4, 08, 10:20 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DCA ZWU 09W
Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
Posts: 1,722
I wonder who did their market research. I understand their desire to reuse some of the base buildings, but I would've placed the retail along the busy roads at the edge of the property, not buried in the middle -- and the rehabbed buildings aren't being used to their full potential. (Might have been interesting to reuse the control tower as part of the rec center instead of building a whole-new one downhill.)

At 450,000 sq ft, half the size of a regional mall and twice the size of a usual strip mall, Glen Town Center isn't really big enough to be a regional draw but it's too big to fill with just restaurants.
paytonc is offline  
Old Nov 5, 08, 4:16 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 100
The complex isn't really all that well thought-out, I agree. However, the history doesn't allow for any relocation, plus I think they wanted the central location between Willow and Lake Streets, but that's just speculation.

I would highly recommend a few joints in there -- Wildfire and a great buffalo meat place called Ted's. If anyone else is looking for reviews, I've been to a good number of them and would be happy to offer opinions
fORD is offline  
Old Jun 10, 09, 7:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: American EXP & 3MM
Posts: 2,336
Agreed, it is a little too comercial for my tastes. I do however like the lake area and nature center.
mktozd is offline  
Old Jul 8, 09, 4:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: American EXP & 3MM
Posts: 2,336
We have also enjoyed some of the restaurants including the ever popular Yardhouse. Though truth be told, I still like Hackney's much better.
mktozd is offline  
Old Jul 8, 09, 5:09 pm
  #8  
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 22,472
Originally Posted by korea71 View Post
They might have some decent eateries in here eventually.
this quote still applies years after it was made.
Sweet Willie is offline  
Old Jul 8, 09, 9:12 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO/STS
Programs: UA Plat-1MM, Hhonors Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by mktozd View Post
We have also enjoyed some of the restaurants including the ever popular Yardhouse. Though truth be told, I still like Hackney's much better.
Ahhh..... you are making me hungry for an onion loaf
LongingForORD is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 12:40 pm
  #10  
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 22,472
Originally Posted by LongingForORD View Post
Ahhh..... you are making me hungry for an onion loaf
oh man, LOVE the onion loaves at Hackney's http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...icagoland.html

Now that it has been warm out, shame we haven't had any FT'er Hackney's on Harms patio Do's
Sweet Willie is offline  
Old Jul 13, 09, 11:24 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: American EXP & 3MM
Posts: 2,336
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
oh man, LOVE the onion loaves at Hackney's http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...icagoland.html

Now that it has been warm out, shame we haven't had any FT'er Hackney's on Harms patio Do's
Love Hackney's patios on Harms and on Lake. While I know that purists perfer the Harms patio and it is indeed unique, I also like the one on lake particularly early evening over a few beers. For the location on Harms, I rather like the bar area that is an iconic throwback to the 1950s on the northshore. While we live in the loop now, we try to get out that way when we can to hit Hackneys. Strangely, we have not been to the one on printers row.
mktozd is offline  
Old Jul 16, 09, 10:03 am
  #12  
glg
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, US
Posts: 2,184
Originally Posted by mktozd View Post
Love Hackney's patios on Harms and on Lake. While I know that purists perfer the Harms patio and it is indeed unique, I also like the one on lake particularly early evening over a few beers. For the location on Harms, I rather like the bar area that is an iconic throwback to the 1950s on the northshore. While we live in the loop now, we try to get out that way when we can to hit Hackneys. Strangely, we have not been to the one on printers row.
Printer's Row has a few more things on the menu that seem odd (some mexican stuff?!?), but the burgers are the same. One plus is they serve a spicy sauce with the onions that they don't at the glenview locations that is quite tasty.
glg is offline  
Old Jul 16, 09, 7:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: American EXP & 3MM
Posts: 2,336
Originally Posted by glg View Post
Printer's Row has a few more things on the menu that seem odd (some mexican stuff?!?), but the burgers are the same. One plus is they serve a spicy sauce with the onions that they don't at the glenview locations that is quite tasty.
I also like Hackney's sunday breakfast, though they have not done the fresh donuts as of late.
mktozd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread