Wiki Posts
Search

Flying ORD-FRA Best side of the plane to sit on for takeoff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Flying ORD-FRA Best side of the plane to sit on for takeoff

I'm Flying ORD-FRA in late March 2024. When taking off at ORD, does either side of the plane usually have a better view? It's a 4:00 PM departure.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I'm Flying ORD-FRA in late March 2024. When taking off at ORD, does either side of the plane usually have a better view? It's a 4:00 PM departure.
In March, you're more likely to take off to the west. If it's to the west, almost all TATL flights will turn to the north right away. If it's to the east, they either turn north or continue heading east. In both cases, you'll have the best view of the city from the right side of the a/c.
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Awesome!! Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
[...] In both cases, you'll have the best view of the city from the right side of the a/c.
I do not disagree with that statement. However, if I were on that flight (ORD-FRA in late March), I would sit on the left side, hoping to see some northern lights. The sun will be near solar maximum and around an equinox is statistically a better time to see an aurora.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by serpens
I do not disagree with that statement. However, if I were on that flight (ORD-FRA in late March), I would sit on the left side, hoping to see some northern lights. The sun will be near solar maximum and around an equinox is statistically a better time to see an aurora.
beat me to it. Aurora would be on left side of the plane.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by serpens
The OP has a 4pm departure. Odds are he'll have a decent view of the city, but will probably be asleep later/would miss the northern lights.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.