Search

Leona's Restaurants - Italian Casual - 17 locations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 2:58 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Leona's Restaurants - Italian Casual - 17 locations

I used to frequent the Leona’s on Sheffield near Belmont a long time ago (late 80’s), back before Leona’s had many locations, there are now 17 Leona’s locations. Back then the food was always fresh, cheap prices, a killer antipasto salad, great specials, just what I looked for in a restaurant.

My how things change when a restaurant becomes a chain, unfortunately for the negative usually. Had dinner last night a Leona’s in Des Plaines.

The highlight was the warm loaf of bread brought to the table and the appetizer.

Appetizer was mozzarella sticks, these are not your ordinary mozz sticks, Leona’s actually cuts fresh thick (1” x 1.5”) slices of mozzarella and with a quick fry provides a gooey cheesy mess that is delicious.

I had the whitefish that was supposed to come w/a yogurt sauce, but instead came w/tartar sauce (what a letdown.) Fish was not fresh and overcooked. I thought about sending it back but did not bother. My side of penne w/meat sauce was ok, but nothing special.

Partner had the lasagna, served in a bowl that was too small to hold the dish. He said it was just ok.

Leona’s no longer serves my beloved antipasto salad.

My wife is dairy free and Leona’s does serve a soy cheese pizza, I know before you say no way (like I used to) hear me out. One evening when I did not feel like cooking, my wife noticed that Leona’s served this soy cheese pizza and asked if I would like to try it. I said no way that she could order a personal size soy cheese pizza and I would order “the real thing”. Pizzas came and as we were eating she asked me if I would like to try some. Sure, why not? Well soy cheese pizza is pretty darn good. No of course not as good as rich real cheese pizza, but still very enjoyable. We now get the Canadian Bacon and Mushroom soy cheese pizza from Leona’s. It is a tasty and healthy alternative to “the real thing”.

http://www.leonas.com/
Old Jul 12, 2003, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Isn't this where the big dinner event for the ORD DO last year was held?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
Isn't this where the big dinner event for the ORD DO last year was held?</font>
Indeed it was!

100 Flyertalkers!

Leonas also does a wicked delivery service, absolutely IMHO the best delivery you can get!

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 07-14-2003).]
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:36 am

Sweet Willie,

It's been a constant wonder how Leona's has been able to expand. I thought it had a great reputation and went to an older one quite a few times--think on Chicago Avenue--about 10 years or so ago. The reason I went back again and again was solely because the price was right (someone else bought) and the lack of restaraunts in the area.

Meanwhile I have seen them successfully expand and wonder how they manage to be successful. A couple of years ago they Leona's opened in Wheeling and it seems to do a good business. Haven't gone and have no plans to.

----
Meanwhile, would like to get your opinion on three upscale restaurants if you've gone to them.
JK Alexanders (on Lake Cook Road-assume Northbrook, but may be Deerfield.)
Pete Millers (in Wheeling)
Stoney River (two locations)

Thanks and enjoy reading your reviews
Old Jul 14, 2003, 9:34 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by larry:
Meanwhile, would like to get your opinion on three upscale restaurants if you've gone to them.
JK Alexanders (on Lake Cook Road-assume Northbrook, but may be Deerfield.)
Pete Millers (in Wheeling)
Stoney River (two locations)
</font>
Thanks for your post larry

I know nothing about J Alexanders and Stoney River.

JK Alexanders: I think you mean J Alexanders?, they are a chain (about 25 locations, primarily in the MW/SE US. http://www.jalexanders.com/

The original is in Evanston I believe. Wheeling seems to be new. The big question I have from looking at their website is they state “Prime Aged Steaks”. I would be curious if it is USDA Prime and how the steaks are aged (dry or wet). If the steaks are indeed USDA Prime, dry aged steaks, that is some good meat! If the steaks are “prime” (used as a descriptor), wet aged steaks, I would pass. http://petemillers.com/

Stoney River Steakhouse, another chain, 6 locations. http://www.stoneyriver-steaks.com/

I'm not the biggest fan of the steakhouse experience as the biggest benefit IMO for steakhouses are the sides, I can go and buy dry aged USDA Prime and cook a better steak at home, but the time/effort for me to prepare all the sides that are offered w/a steakhouse steak is what makes the experience worthwhile for me. If it is me, I'm not spending my $ at Pete Miller's or Stoney River, I'll wait until I get to travel to an area that does not have a varied cuisine restaurant scene and the steakhouse would be a good choice IMO. The quickest example I can think of is Tampa, there is good cuban, decent fish but not much else (allthough improving all the time), I would then spend my $ at Bern's which is a steak namesake restaurant unlike the above restaurants.

Old Jul 14, 2003, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I have had delivery service at my place of work from one of their stores. I have to say that I was not impressed. I thought it was hard to mess up spaghetti but they proved me wrong. I ordered from them 3 different times and everything I ordered was pretty bland and they don't include hot sauce. I hope that their dine-in is much better although I may never find out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.