Search

Dixie Kitchen & Bait Shop, (Southern Roadside Cookin’) Evanston, IL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2002, 6:10 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dixie Kitchen & Bait Shop, (Southern Roadside Cookin’) Evanston, IL

Was in the mood for some Southern comfort food, namely fried catfish w/cornmeal batter, I figured Dixie Kitchen would suit my mood.

DK&BS is a fun atmosphere with lots of bait shop memorabilia, old photos, tin signs and lots of knick-knacks.

Ordered the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer. They were very tasteless and not done well. Presentation lacked as they were hid by shredded lettuce and chopped scallions. I prefer at least some kind of sauce w/my green tomatoes.

For main course I ordered the fried baby catfish. One gets their choice of sides (about 9 to choose from) I choose the red beans and rice. Coleslaw that comes with it is vinegar based, not mayo. Red beans side and coleslaw were just OK. The baby catfish was so small and served on the bone that the amount of meat that one got was VERY SMALL. I used to be an avid fisherman so I know how to fillet, but that still did not increase my enjoyment of the meal. What little fish I got was OK.

Biz partner had me bring back a BBQ Pork sandwich, DK&BS calls it their North Carolina style Pork. Tried some, ssssoooooooooooo salty, almost inedible. The cheese grits that came with (one of the other sides) was nothing special.

Dixie Kitchen did not win me over with anything I had there.

I did get to see a breakfast menu and it looked promising.

Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop
825 Church Street
Evanston
Phone: 847.733.9030

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.