Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Old Jerusalem Restaurant, (Middle Eastern Cuisine)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2002, 6:08 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Was joining up with a few friends to see Robert Schimmel at Zanie’s Comedy Club on Wells. So of course my mind immediately went into the “now where can I eat that is close to the place where I’m meeting my friends” mode. Old Jerusalem, 1411 N. Wells (only a block from Zanie’s and Second City) fit the bill. Phone: 312-944-0459

Old Jerusalem serves Middle-Eastern Cuisine which tonight for dinner w/my biz partner consisted of:

Two Appetizers: Kibbeh which consists of a cracked wheat puff stuffed w/minced lamb, roasted pine nuts, mint and some spices. Also, falafel which is ground chick peas mixed with spices, rolled into small meatball size pieces and fried/baked. The Kibbeh was VERY good, while the falafel was ok (a little over fried). To go along with your appetizers, you are served some pita.

Two Entrees: Shawirma, which is the middle-eastern version of a gyro, only not using processed meats. Shawirma (sometimes spelled shoawarma) consists of cuts of real lamb and beef. It can be served in a pita or on top of rice. I had the pita version. It was good, but seeing as I found the best shawirma yet in Chicago, Old Jerusalem’s did not beat out my favorite, none the less it was a good sandwich. Partner had the minced lamb patties served on top of rice. They were grilled and quite nicely spiced. Dinner also gets you a small salad w/tahini dressing.

Old Jerusalem is going through some much needed remodeling, I don’t think the place has changed in 20 years. Old Jerusalem will be closed for the month of November. We talked with the owner who mentioned that he will be opening the street side wall of his business to the street to allow open air sidewalk seating. This will be quite nice when warmer weather rolls around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.