Search

Café Las Delicias, Salvadorian & Guatemalan, Western/Lincoln area Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2002, 2:38 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Café Las Delicias, Salvadorian & Guatemalan, Western/Lincoln area Chicago

Was on my way into the city when I passed by Café Las Delicias, which bills itself as a Salvadorian & Guatemalan restaurant.

Small restaurant, maybe 14 tables.

Even though it was lunchtime, I thought I would start out with a Salvadorian Style Breakfast which was Platanos Fritos con Frijoles y Crema or Fried Sweet Plantains with Refried Beans and Sour Cream. For those who do not know what plantains are, for an easy explanation, they are a type of banana that is used in Caribbean and Central American cooking quite often. If you ever have had Bananas Foster, the softened sugary banana is about the best I can explain what a plantain tastes like when fried (actually not fried, just sautéed). These had to be some of the sweetest plantains ever, which along with the earthy flavor of the refried beans (think darker than typical Mexican refried you see) and the smooth/cool sour cream. It was amazing how these flavors complimented one another, a great dish.

I then tried a Pupusas, a Salvadorian item which is a stuffed cornmeal patty that has pork, shrimp, fish, ham&cheese, or veggies stuffed in a thin layer into the middle of this patty. Served w/the patty are two salsas (one volcanic the other nice) and some marinated shredded cabbage.
They are not that large and I only ate a pork one. The pork had a strong flavor and when eaten w/the cool cabbage and hot sauce was very good. I say very good, just because I prefer flour over corn in tortillas and the such. I think the ham&cheese or the shrimp would be good as well.

Total bill, including my Horchata (rice drink) was $8.50

Café Las Delicias
4911 N. Western Avenue
Chicago, IL
Open 10am-10pm everyday
Phone: 773.293.0656

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.