Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Need advice please on transferring terminals at ORD

I am flying AA Eagle into Terminal 1 at ORD, landing around 10 a.m. and out of terminal 3 on LH (which is also code shared with UA). I have four hours in between.

I have asked this question of the AA and LH forum folks, but in both cases they've deferred/bowed to your expertise . I've also tried multiple searches but apparently my search skills are slipping and I've checked stickies here and haven't seen anything.

So....will I have to go landside and back through security at ORD and if so how long should that take? What is the best way to get from T1 to T3 at ORD? Someone at the LH forum mentioned a long walk but again deferred to ya'lls wisdom.

Oh and finally, best places to eat lunch at ORD? And is RCC near the LH gate worth a one-day pass?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:35 pm

I think you have your terminals backward. Your AA Eagle flight will arrive at Terminal 3, and your LH flight will depart from Terminal 1.

I'm not aware of an airside option between T3 and T1. That said, with four hours in between, you'll have plenty of time to go landside in T3, ride the ATS (Airport Transport System or "People Mover") from T3 to T1, and re-clear security.

There are a total of three Red Carpet Clubs in Terminal 1: two in the B concourse, and one in the C concourse. When you clear security, you'll be in the B concourse; you have to go down an escalator, through a tunnel, and back up an escalator to make it over to the C concourse. IIRC, your Lufthansa flight will leave from the B concourse, and I only use the RCC near B7, as the other one near B19 is crap. That said, I don't think any of the RCCs are worth the $50 one-time entry fee in your case. Save your money for one of the dining establishments instead and kill a couple of hours there over lunch and a beer.

Here's a map of Terminal 1, complete with a list of restaurants:

http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/conc...re/pdf/T1B.pdf

Berghoff, the Billy Goat Tavern and Wolfgang Puck are my favorites. You'll find more discussion in the Chicago forum on FT -- you might have a better option in T3 before you go landside. If you're feeling ambitious, you can also jump on the L or into a taxi and eat somewhere near the airport. Four hours is a decent amount of time.

Oh, and as long as you are at T1 an hour before your flight, you should be fine. The ride from T3 to T1 on ATS should take no more than 10 minutes.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P
You can go airside from Terminal 3 through Terminal 2 and all the way over to Terminal 1. It's a good long walk but probably doesn't take any longer than exiting security in Terminal 3, waiting for the ATS train and then re-clearing security in Terminal 1. Also - the area connecting T3 & 2 has lots of restaurants and you could stop there for a break.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:48 pm

As MW_2000 said, you can walk it airside and I would recommend doing it that way. I have done it several times and it is fine. Also, there is nothing to gain by leaving the secure area.
BillJ
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I would do the walk, rather than taking the ATS, because in order to get to the ATS, you must ascend and descend two sets of escalators, in addition to having to exit the secured area and re-clear again.

If you huff and puff it, the walk takes about 10 minutes to complete. You will notice a dramatically different atmosphere once you're in T1--At least to me, T1 is still the most beautiful airline hub terminal after all these years.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zipadee
I have four hours in between.
Go to the Hilton and grab a workout for $6.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 4:34 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Moving this to the Chicago forum.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
At least to me, T1 is still the most beautiful airline hub terminal after all these years.
If you ignore the coating of dust on the beams.

But, you've gotten a lot of good advice already, so you're on track.

A few things to think about:

When will you get your LH boarding passes? I've checked in online for LH, but I'm not sure they do it for international. Since you're arriving four hours before your flight, I'm not sure the gate staff will be by the gate when you arrive, and it might be worth going landside, since you can then check in at the front desk (all the way down at the end of T1) and be done with it.

You don't mention which class you're flying or if you have any status. If you are flying C or F or if you are Star Alliance Gold you will have access to the Red Carpet Club without a day pass. If not, I really don't think the day pass is worth the money, as the RCC is pretty pedestrian. If you do have access, the RCC by B19 is very small and pretty grim, the one by B7 is nicer. The one on the C councourse serves most of the intl flights, since that's where the UA flights leave from, but isn't worth the extra walk, B7 is just fine.

Will you have checked luggage, and will AA check through to LH. UA will, but I don't know about AA (but I'll bet someone else will!) You will certainly have to go landside to reclaim bags and them schlep them over to T1 if AA won't check them through. If you DO check them through, be sure to show LH your baggage stubs, as they'll want to enter that information into their system.

Other than the boarding pass/baggage thing, I agree that there is no good reason to do this transfer landside. Since you're coming in on Eagle, you'll probably land at Concourse G. When you come to the head of the concourse you'll see signs for baggage/transport and also for T1/T2. Follow the T1/T2 directions, and you'll stay airside. The walk isn't bad.

LH will almost certainly leave from the gates in the B19 range, they're all set up down there and I've never seen them leave from anywhere else.

In terms of food, there isn't anything exciting down toward B19, but the Wolfgang Puck is around B7 and there is a brand new place I've forgotten the name of down by about B3 that has interesting looking sandwiches and Pizzas.

If you want some exercise, the walk through the B/C tunnel, all the way down to one end of C, to the other end, back through the tunnel and then the same thing in B makes for a fairly interesting 20 minute walk.

Last edited by milepig; Jun 18, 2007 at 9:20 am
Old Jun 18, 2007, 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions.

We had planned to get our boarding passes from a gate inside the terminal where LH is. Supposedly AA should be able to interline our luggage (and then us give our baggage claim numbers to LH when we get BPs) but if they can't then all of this is a moot point...but if they can then we like to walk and I like the idea of stretching my legs before a TATL flight So walking between without having to go landside sounds like my best bet at this point.

Thanks again. The Billy Goat tavern actually sounds intriguing. Is it any good?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zipadee
The Billy Goat tavern actually sounds intriguing. Is it any good?
Overpriced grease-burger with Pepsi.. no Coke.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Indeed. Since you have the time, I highly recommend either the bar in the Hilton or the gym in the Hilton, depending on your inclination. Sometimes I do both
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mander
Indeed. Since you have the time, I highly recommend either the bar in the Hilton or the gym in the Hilton, depending on your inclination. Sometimes I do both
I had wanted to do a massage at the Hilton but sadly hubby nixed that

I wish more restaurants carried Coke Zero.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:14 am

Location: Primary: “Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle.”, Secondary: 88NV via RNO
Programs: Hilton Diamond*, UA ex-2P, Chase
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
The original downtown would be interesting, the ORD branch is nothing. If you want to dine somewhere that's not in another town, I'd suggest

1) Berghoff Cafe at the "right" end of Terminal C (you've got time) - the airport nephew of the late grandpere of Chicago restaurants. Think Deli with a Germanic flair: Sandwiches with fresh-cooked meat sliced as you watch (I especially recommend the turkey or the reuben) on brewers bread and their own brand of brewski.

2) Gold Coast Dogs - the rotunda between T3 and T2 (just off your route). Loses a little from the original, but still the translation, but the best in-airport source for a true Chicago dog, and an affordable real-meat Non-McD burger - Try the cheddar fries if you are not on a diet.

Uno misses the list even though they have the better Chicago Pizza in ORD, since its as much like the franchise in Concord, NC as it is the original in River North.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
ORD Domestic to Int'l T5 transfer?

I'm arriving at ORD on a domestic flight and have to transfer to LOT Airlines in Terminal 5. What is the fastest way to do this? I'm hoping there is a way to do this without having to leave the air side. Any tips?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will have to take the little train thingie that goes between terminals, and you will have to leave security unfortunately. Still, it usually doesn't take that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.