Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
There are small Duty Free Kiosks in T1, according to the ORD website. I definitely remember there being one in C Concourse.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duty-free at ORD is horrible.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:57 am
RLA

Programs: amex
Question Tips on speedy transfer though ORD

Just wondered if any of you seasoned travellers might have any tips as I'm trying to make a quick connection in ORD with children in tow !

DEP MAN 10.35 ARR ORD 12.55
DEP ORD 14.10 ARR MIA 18.15

Only ever landed at ORD and exited the airport and that took forever. Do you think this connection is too tight (if we assume all flights are on time) ?

Your experiences would be much appreciated.

RLA
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Welcome to Flyertalk. International connection into the US, with kids and just over an hour? Likely luggage is checked which has to be picked up, walked through customs and then re-deposited. I would not expect to make that connecting flight. Are you US Citizens with global entry - you have a chance, otherwise this is too tight IMO.

It is sometimes tight for a domestic connection depending on the airline and gates used, given ORDs layout.

Safe Travels.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:09 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Same airline / alliance?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
This is an international-to-domestic connection, though. A slim chance of making it, if you're a US citizen and have no checked luggage. Otherwise, forget it.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:44 am
RLA

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm Uk not US citizen, with luggage connecting from AA to AA fight. Looks like it's just not going to be possible. Wonder why the airline lets you book it ?

If the planes are on time but I miss the connection due to security etc where do we stand with our onward flight (I've checked and there is another one after the 14.10pm).

Advice much appreciated.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:49 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RLA
Thanks for the replies so far, I'm Uk not US citizen, with luggage connecting from AA to AA fight. Looks like it's just not going to be possible. Wonder why the airline lets you book it ?

If the planes are on time but I miss the connection due to security etc where do we stand with our onward flight (I've checked and there is another one after the 14.10pm).

Advice much appreciated.
They would certainly put you on the next available.

Maybe in MAN you might want to ask them to move you to the later flight just to be on the safe side, after showing them how close your connection time is. That way there is less of a chance of any available seats on the later flight to MIA being filled at the last minute while you are in transit.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:09 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
I agree with the other posts. It will take some determination and luck to make this connection.

Are your kids small (need extra time or stroller?) or big? There will be a walk from the plane to immigration that takes some time.

At 75 minutes is the minimum connection time for many airlines. You also are under the influence of landing late or, if lucky, landing early.

Immigration is usually fine, but it depends a lot on how many other flights have landed at the same time. As you are not an American citizen then make sure that you have filled out the white or green cards, and the customs card correctly. You can waste a lot of time redoing them. If there is a real long line, and if you have small kids, you can ask one of the guards if you can get some help getting to your through to your connecting flight. They are usually accommodating for families with young children. I'm almost always through immigration before the luggage has arrived.

After you clear immigration, but before you go through customs you will need to reclaim your luggage. This can take a long time and you might have to check oversize luggage for a stroller.

After claiming your bag you'll go through customs. No fruit or meat, then just say what your have, and they normally wave you through. I normally say - I just have cheese and beer, like I always have. If they send you to scanning, it normally doesn't take that long.

You then recheck your bags immediately after customs, there are clear signs posted and usually airline staff directing you.

After rechecking your bags you go up two sets of escalators and board the inter terminal train. Be sure you get on in the direction of T1-3, and not long-term parking!

The train trip takes 2-3 minutes and you'll want terminal 3.

I would try see if it is possible to change the flight to the one at 15:45. I really hate rushing though an airport, especially with kids.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:38 am
RLA

Thank you for your advice. The children are 5 and 7 so quite mobile but still going to slow me down. I had assumed the bags would go straight through with both flights being AA - so in this situation there isn't really an advantage in staying with the same carrier throughout (excluding any FF miles reasons).

Your suggestion to ask to be moved to later flt on check in at MAN is a very good idea, hadn't thought of the flight filling whilst we're in the air.

RLA
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:14 pm
RLA

Question

Originally Posted by RLA
Just wondered if any of you seasoned travellers might have any tips as I'm trying to make a quick connection in ORD with children in tow !

DEP MAN 10.35 ARR ORD 12.55
DEP ORD 14.10 ARR MIA 18.15

Only ever landed at ORD and exited the airport and that took forever. Do you think this connection is too tight (if we assume all flights are on time) ?

Your experiences would be much appreciated.

RLA
The consensus seems to be that we won't make this connection. My next question is, if by some freak chance we did make it - what are the chances of our bags making it with us ?

Also, what about if my husband and children went ahead once we land and go directly to the gate for the FLL flight and I collect the bags alone, are staff more likely to wait for me for a few minutes if my husband and children are there to tell them I'm on my way (could keep in touch on phones).

Hey we might be lucky and the 2.10 plane is delayed

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RLA
The consensus seems to be that we won't make this connection. My next question is, if by some freak chance we did make it - what are the chances of our bags making it with us ?

Also, what about if my husband and children went ahead once we land and go directly to the gate for the FLL flight and I collect the bags alone, are staff more likely to wait for me for a few minutes if my husband and children are there to tell them I'm on my way (could keep in touch on phones).

Hey we might be lucky and the 2.10 plane is delayed

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Given the way the bags and customs work, you won't be able to go through as two parties unless you also go through immigration as two parties and fill out two forms. You're supposed to fill out one blue declaration form per household/family. You can't get past the customs guy without your form. IMO it's unlikely the customs folks would buy it if your husband and two kids showed up with no luggage and an empty form.

In any case I wouldn't expect them to hold the door for you if you're half there.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:55 am

Connecting at ORD from LHR

Hi all - first post! I am travelling to Omaha in November from the UK and my flights are as follows:-

United Airlines - LHR to ORD - landing in ORD at 13:21 at T5
Connecting from ORD to Omaha, departing ORD at 15:30 from T2

As a first time visitor is this enough time to make the connection? I am assuming my luggage will be transferred automatically for me saving some time but 2 hours seems tight!

Can you re-assure / scare me as appropriate please?

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:42 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
gb999, welcome to FlyerTalk. For focused discussion, I'll move this to our Travel->Chicago forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:34 am

Hi gb999.

I often fly from LHR to OMA by way of ORD (I grew up in Omaha and visit my family there.) I fly AA, but the procedure will likely be the same. After clearing Immigration in ORD you will collect your checked baggage and go through Customs. Immediately outside Customs there will be check-in desks where you check your baggage back in. It's fairly easy, and (at least for AA) is well signed at ORD.
If you are comming home the same route you will be able to check your baggage in OMA all the way through to LHR.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

cheers
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.