O'Hare traffic

Old Jul 20, 2001, 7:55 pm
nlp
Original Poster

O'Hare traffic

Is the traffic between O'Hare and the loop heavy during 5:45am to 6:30am (O'Hare to Loop) and 6:30pm to 8:00pm (Loop to O'Hare)? Thank you.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
As with most traffic issues, there is no definitive response. In general, on your commute either way you will encounter tight pockets of traffic but it should be moving. (The closer to 5:45AM you leave the airport the better - the closer to 6:30AM, obviously, the greater the volume of traffic - same to be said on your outbound commute). You should be able to make it in in about 30 - 40 minutes.

I generally take the el (Blue Line) to the airport from downtown - it takes about 45 minutes. I am also a cheap traveler - the el is about $1.50 versus $30 to $35 for a one way taxi ride.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 9:45 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I can vouch for the Blue Line. Why take your chances with traffic congestion if you don't have to?
Old Jul 21, 2001, 9:42 am
nlp
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your information. From my experience, the blue line is quite slow. It stops about 20 times between O'Hare and the loop. I thought that about 6am is early enough and the traffic wouldn't be too much.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 1:49 pm

Also -- keep in mind that if you're trying to get there in the morning it's much slower on Mondays. The traffic reporters specifically refer to the "Monday morning airport delay" which usually forms by 6am.

After 6:30pm there shouldn't be too much congestion on the way back, except on Fridays and curiously, Saturdays (suburbanites heading into the city for a night on the town).

At best it's a 20-minute drive between downtown and ORD. If you're driving add time between the parking lot and the airport. Personally I always take the El.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 2:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nlp:
&lt;snip&gt;From my experience, the blue line is quite slow. It stops about 20 times between O'Hare and the loop. &lt;snip&gt;</font>
So it does. But it's always 45 minutes to the Loop. Worth it to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.