Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madison, WI - ORD by car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2002, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Madison, WI - ORD by car

I have to catch an international flight at ORD next month (departing at 4pm on a Sunday) after a brunch in Madison, WI. The distance is listed as 134 miles by interstate.

Does someone have an insight on how long this drive would take, taking into account traffic and potential ongoing road work?

TIA
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:32 am

From downtown Chicago I usually get to Madison in about 3 hours (and pass O'Hare on my way, so it usually takes me 2.5 hours from O'Hare to Mad City). However there is a LOT of roadwork right now coming in from Madison as you approach O'Hare. Also Sundays seem to have heavier traffic going to the airport. I would recommend allowing yourself 3 to 3.5 hours drive time.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 9:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by disneybride:
I would recommend allowing yourself 3 to 3.5 hours drive time. </font>
At least!

I say this because you are making the drive on a Sunday during the Summer season. On Sunday, many, many, many people (WI call us FIB's) are heading home from their holidays in WI. I-90 can be backed up quite severly during the afternoon/evening on Sundays. I do this drive (upper WI to Des Plaines (just north of ORD)) quite frequently.

United does provide shuttle service from Madison to ORD, I would really look into just flying out of Madison.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I shall be flying out of MSN instead of driving to ORD, as recommended.
Old Aug 9, 2002, 9:54 am

Flying is a great option, but still be prepared with a backup plan. I get the O'Hare arrivals and departures channels on my home cable and I frequently see Madison flights being cancelled. Not a problem unless you have a connection, but it sounds like you do.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 10:39 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by disneybride:
I get the O'Hare arrivals and departures channels on my home cable and .....</font>
What cable provider do you have? Was this a subscription channel you paid for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.